Author Topic: Returning to work - pup worries  (Read 3654 times)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
Re: Returning to work - pup worries
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
Just gotta finish off the fence this afternoon. Then hopefully tonight when we let him out on the patio area he'll not be able to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could always take the pointy end off OH's arrows and weave the shafts into your new slats for extra strength ;)

That would be an expensive fence lol

"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
I couldn't leave them alone for all that time, so I'm my 30 minute lunch I drove home to make sure they were okay.

I could only stay with them for less than 10 minutes but they both went outside and went to the loo.

I had a quick play with Loxley to get some of that energy used up.

Came home to find them huddled up sleeping together.

I'm working today but not as many hours. He's booked in at the vets at 5.30pm for his final vaccination as he's 10wks old today!

Can't wait till next Tuesday when we can actually take him out for a walk.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
I couldn't leave them alone for all that time, so I'm my 30 minute lunch I drove home to make sure they were okay.

I could only stay with them for less than 10 minutes but they both went outside and went to the loo.

I had a quick play with Loxley to get some of that energy used up.

I'm working today but not as many hours. He's booked in at the vets at 5.30pm for his final vaccination as he's 10wks old today!

Can't wait till next Tuesday when we can actually take him out for a walk.

That's great to hear they were ok. As I said they will be fine

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

Aww  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »
Well done, you have survived day one, so hopefully your stress levels will drop a bit now!   ;)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
I have done the dinner hour run. 45 mins of travelling for a 10 min garden let out. But you do it because its peace of mind
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline rubybella

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
Sorry, but I feel that it is way too long for any dog to be left, least of all a young puppy. I know I will be shot down by those that feel it is ok, but I find it hard to sit and read the comments that suggest there are no negative effects of doing this. I volunteer for a rescue, I can't tell you how many spaniels we get in due to owners working too long hours. Particularly with puppies, being left for long hours can cause unwanted behaviour and the puppy becoming shut down due to lack of stimulation and human attention. So please reconsider what you are doing, instead use doggy daycare or get a dog walker to come in in the morning and afternoon to play with your dogs and give them some attention.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 11:46:46 PM »
Sorry, but I feel that it is way too long for any dog to be left, least of all a young puppy. I know I will be shot down by those that feel it is ok, but I find it hard to sit and read the comments that suggest there are no negative effects of doing this. I volunteer for a rescue, I can't tell you how many spaniels we get in due to owners working too long hours. Particularly with puppies, being left for long hours can cause unwanted behaviour and the puppy becoming shut down due to lack of stimulation and human attention. So please reconsider what you are doing, instead use doggy daycare or get a dog walker to come in in the morning and afternoon to play with your dogs and give them some attention.

I only work 26 hrs per week split over 4 days. I have 3 full days off per week.

I wouldn't of considered having  a puppy if I was working 6 day weeks working 9-5pm. The decision of getting another dog (a puppy) was something that I really took time over, precisely 7yrs.

I am going to ask my manager if I can have an hour lunch break and work 30 minutes extra at the end of my shift, that way I'd get 30 minutes with them at home.

I have spoke to a doggie day care place (the only one near where we live) who want £20 a day to keep my puppy locked in a crate at there premises (small terraced building in the town centre with no grass on a main road with no parking) this is totally unacceptable to me and I refused this. They then went on to say that they could come to walk my two dogs but the puppy still isn't covered with his vaccinations till next Tuesday. But I have asked them for prices on dog walking and also prices for another service they do where they come to the house and play with them for an hour. I think the hour play would be better for the puppy as your not supposed to walk them for very long are you? I remember with my old dog we had to build up the time we took him out.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
That is an appalling example of doggy day care, I don't blame you for not wanting to send your dogs there! Have you looked into the 'Borrow my doggy' organisation ? Also try contacting a local dog trainer, they may know someone who could help you, or look into day boarding places, a groomer local to me does daily boarding. Hope this helps.

I hope you appreciate where I'm coming from. It's just when you are involved in picking up the pieces of what happens when dogs and puppies are left for long hours, it's very hard to sit back and not comment.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
That is an appalling example of doggy day care, I don't blame you for not wanting to send your dogs there! Have you looked into the 'Borrow my doggy' organisation ? Also try contacting a local dog trainer, they may know someone who could help you, or look into day boarding places, a groomer local to me does daily boarding. Hope this helps.

I hope you appreciate where I'm coming from. It's just when you are involved in picking up the pieces of what happens when dogs and puppies are left for long hours, it's very hard to sit back and not comment.

I live in the middle of no where. The doggie day care belongs to the local groomers.

I have no idea where the local dog training place would be. We googled it as we want to start taking him to lessons and nothing in our area came up.

I used to live in Stoke on Trent and my old dog was trained there, I really do want to take him to classes but we can't find any.

We're the last village in Derbyshire on the South Yorkshire border. If anyone knows of a trainer near Worksop/Mansfield or retford I'd be much appreciated.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »
When Henry was little I had professional dog walker who came in once a week. He would give Henry a 15 minutes walk around the block then back home to play in the garden and make sure he had toileted. Lots of professional walkers will provide a 'puppy' service so it might be worth looking into.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
Thanks

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
How is the puppy doing?

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
How is the puppy doing?

Both dogs are happy when we get home, there's minimal accidents just  1 wee on the puppy pad. I've been coming home in my lunch time as I couldn't leave them that long without going outside. Amazingly my manager let me take an hours lunch yesterday so I was with them for 40 minutes and they were running and playing in the garden.

I've also looked into doggie care and I have a lady doing a home evaluation on my and my boys tomorrow (Friday) that way if I need them to come and let them out or walk them everything will be set up and ready for them.

This is the way forward for me and my dogs. The lady's are fully insured and have had checks done. They also run/own a local dog groomers in town. They say they'll have a key to the house and keep it locked in their safe at the business and when I call or text they'll come over and either let them in the garden & play or go for a walk whatever I want on the day.

They seem like a good company so here goes.

Ps if I decide to do this I'm deffo getting security cameras in the house & garden.