Author Topic: Returning to work - pup worries  (Read 3653 times)

Offline bmthmark

Re: Returning to work - pup worries
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
How is the puppy doing?

Both dogs are happy when we get home, there's minimal accidents just  1 wee on the puppy pad. I've been coming home in my lunch time as I couldn't leave them that long without going outside. Amazingly my manager let me take an hours lunch yesterday so I was with them for 40 minutes and they were running and playing in the garden.

I've also looked into doggie care and I have a lady doing a home evaluation on my and my boys tomorrow (Friday) that way if I need them to come and let them out or walk them everything will be set up and ready for them.

This is the way forward for me and my dogs. The lady's are fully insured and have had checks done. They also run/own a local dog groomers in town. They say they'll have a key to the house and keep it locked in their safe at the business and when I call or text they'll come over and either let them in the garden & play or go for a walk whatever I want on the day.

They seem like a good company so here goes.

Ps if I decide to do this I'm deffo getting security cameras in the house & garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. I know exactly how hard it is to juggle work life and home life.
As they get older it does get easier. Mine is nearly 8 months old now and i'm starting to trust him more with things. Apart from yesterday when he decided to run off on a walk  :huh:  but he was ok in the end.

Once you get in a set routine and your puppy knows this routine it will be a lot easier.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
How is the puppy doing?

Both dogs are happy when we get home, there's minimal accidents just  1 wee on the puppy pad. I've been coming home in my lunch time as I couldn't leave them that long without going outside. Amazingly my manager let me take an hours lunch yesterday so I was with them for 40 minutes and they were running and playing in the garden.

I've also looked into doggie care and I have a lady doing a home evaluation on my and my boys tomorrow (Friday) that way if I need them to come and let them out or walk them everything will be set up and ready for them.

This is the way forward for me and my dogs. The lady's are fully insured and have had checks done. They also run/own a local dog groomers in town. They say they'll have a key to the house and keep it locked in their safe at the business and when I call or text they'll come over and either let them in the garden & play or go for a walk whatever I want on the day.

They seem like a good company so here goes.

Ps if I decide to do this I'm deffo getting security cameras in the house & garden.

Thanks for the update. I know exactly how hard it is to juggle work life and home life.
As they get older it does get easier. Mine is nearly 8 months old now and i'm starting to trust him more with things. Apart from yesterday when he decided to run off on a walk  :huh:  but he was ok in the end.

Once you get in a set routine and your puppy knows this routine it will be a lot easier.

I think a lot of it is my older dog's doing, he's keeping him calm teaching him when I'm away it's sleep time. He does moan at him when he sees him doing naughty things like dig up my plants! I often just sit and wonder, what is he saying to Loxley?!?!?

If only we knew!

"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »

This is how they were when I left them 15 minutes ago. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
Aw, that is so lovely. Having an older, calm dog must be a great help. Henry is my first dog and it took me far too long to realise I had to TEACH him how to be calm, he wasn't going to ever get it by himself!

Looks like you are all doing really well.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Aw, that is so lovely. Having an older, calm dog must be a great help. Henry is my first dog and it took me far too long to realise I had to TEACH him how to be calm, he wasn't going to ever get it by himself!

I agree they do look like they are doing really well. Jett is my first dog and teaching him how to be calm is hard work  :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »

I agree they do look like they are doing really well. Jett is my first dog and teaching him how to be calm is hard work  :005:

Can I just hijack this thread from lovely Loxley for a minute to say I saw a big read flag in your earlier post: 8 months old + ran off on your walk. There's a very good chance this is not a one-off, be prepared! Almost all of us have had perfect recall and dedicated little doggos until about this age, then zoom, they're off. I made the mistake of letting Henry go further and longer before I went back to basics with his training. Don't make the same mistake I did and keep an eye out for when he might need to go back on the lead.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

Can I just hijack this thread from lovely Loxley for a minute to say I saw a big read flag in your earlier post: 8 months old + ran off on your walk. There's a very good chance this is not a one-off, be prepared! Almost all of us have had perfect recall and dedicated little doggos until about this age, then zoom, they're off. I made the mistake of letting Henry go further and longer before I went back to basics with his training. Don't make the same mistake I did and keep an eye out for when he might need to go back on the lead.

Thanks Londongirl - it definitely raised alarm bells for me as it was such a shock. We were just walking our normal route, he was doing his normal sniffing around. 3 large dogs came running at him, he was spooked and normally he runs to me. This time he just ran and ran until he was gone :'(
Luckily another dog walker saw him and I found him waiting round the corner from where we were.
It was so out of character and a massive shock to me as I really thought he had gone and all the busy roads around, it was worrying times.
I will keep him close and go back to basics on the recall, do you recommend anything? or shall I keep doing regular recalls

It was a bad morning for us as 10 minutes after I got him on the lead he got bitten by a Jack Russell, on the nose which caused a nasty bite mark  :'( - so I am now cleaning the wound
Normally our walks are great and stress free, not yesterday!!

Sorry for changing the subject on this thread