Author Topic: Camping with a cocker spaniel!  (Read 3854 times)

Offline hoover

Camping with a cocker spaniel!
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
So we are planning on trying our first trip away camping with Ollie.  We will be doing a mixture of wild camping and site camping on the west coast of Scotland and Skye (we are very experienced with this sort of camping but it will be Ollie's first time).  We are going to take his insulated soft crate and sheets of tarp to create a wee waterproof tent around it but I suspect he may well end up in our tent anyway. Our tent is too small to get his crate inside. He can always sleep in the car if we manage to pitch next to it.

Has anyone else been camping with their dogs and what was your experience like?  Any tips?  Are we crazy for even considering this?!

Offline Charliechoo

Re: Camping with a cocker spaniel!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »
Done it many a time, but not wild.  You will need to make sure he is really secure in his crate and make sure zips close at the top, to stop any snozzle unzipping :005:  I'm sure you're aware that if he worries sheep he could be shot :o  I would invest in a groomers dry towel, to remove any excess water off him, should it rain, (which it will on Skye) won't be pleasant for him to go to bed in his crate wet.  We always had our dog in the tent with us, I felt it safer for her that way.  A long line might be useful, unless you're dog has impeccable recall?

Having lived on the Isle of Skye, i can guarantee these two pieces of equipment are a must, an Otom tick remover and a bottle or three of Avon skin so soft (for the midges, well you spray it on you and the midges don't like it)

We gave up tenting a few years back now, we now have a caravan and Charlie loves it!

Happy to help with any advise on things to see on skye :shades:

Enjoy

Link for the towel, we find them a godsend in the caravan and at home!

Groomers Aquasorb Towel - Medium https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BOCFQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f-1izbX8ECQ9R

Offline hoover

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »
Thanks!  Yes we are familiar with the west coast midge and have our repellent and tick removers handy!  We've got a long lead, stake and cable and a waist attachment for him that is used to go running, so he will be on that when we're walking with rucksacks.  I'm guessing that Skye is similar to areas on the West Coast and we might well see sheep on the beaches?

Offline Charliechoo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »
 :005:you'll see sheep everywhere, also cattle, they're a bit more intimating than the sheep though  :lol:

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
Skye is not blessed with many lovely beaches, unlike many places in the highlands, they are very stony. And it can be very very hot there if you get the right week  :D. We go there quite a lot, but not in a tent, those days are now over and we have a motorhome, so comfortable  :005:. However, we've always had our dogs with us, and had them in the tent with us when we camped, I would not feel comfortable with the dog in another tent.

The towel thing is a must for a soggy dog. We are in Argyll at the moment, the ticks are horrendous this year already, taking several off Dylan every day, got six off his head one day  :020: midge head nets are a blessing too.

If someone found a way to eliminate ticks and midges they would make a fortune! Have a great holiday!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
Think this must have been one of the worst tick years ever! Taken 20 plus off Humphrey in the last couple of days!!
Enjoy the holiday! (There's a lovely  camping place at Gairloch by the way!) 😉

Offline Charliechoo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »
Skye is not blessed with many lovely beaches, unlike many places in the highlands, they are very stony.

If someone found a way to eliminate ticks and midges they would make a fortune! Have a great holiday!

Lesley and Dylan

What it lacks in numbers it makes up for in quality :D you just have to know where to go, hidden places  :angel:

Lol midges, evil beasties!

Offline hoover

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
Ok, a wee bit nervous now! O well, I am personally very experienced with ticks after years of wild camping but I think we've only ever found one or two on Ollie.  I imagine the count will go up soon!

We got that towel so thanks for the recommendation, it looks ace with its own storage cylinder to prevent it from getting everything else damp. We have head nets ready and praying for a bit of a breeze to keep the midges at bay.

Planning on leaving on Friday when weather is meant to be good but I think it's due to turn more stormy over the weekend so we might play things by ear.  We're in Glasgow so easy to get home anyway.

Offline Charliechoo

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Ok, a wee bit nervous now! O well, I am personally very experienced with ticks after years of wild camping but I think we've only ever found one or two on Ollie.  I imagine the count will go up soon!

We got that towel so thanks for the recommendation, it looks ace with its own storage cylinder to prevent it from getting everything else damp. We have head nets ready and praying for a bit of a breeze to keep the midges at bay.

Planning on leaving on Friday when weather is meant to be good but I think it's due to turn more stormy over the weekend so we might play things by ear.  We're in Glasgow so easy to get home anyway.

Don't be nervous, it will be fabulous, enjoy the trip and I would love to see some pictures when you return.  I am very jealous, I need to go back for a trip soon, I think :005:

The towel will be brilliant also, if Ollie takes a dip in the sea/river.

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
We've got a folding plastic water bowl, looks like an airman's hat when closed, weighs nothing, takes up no space, fits in your rucksack, great when you,re out walking.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »
We're taking Monty (15 months) camping for the first time on Monday.  We pitched our tent in the garden last night and slept in it to see how he went.  He didn't settle very well and I got little sleep.  Am going to do it again Sunday night before we go on Monday.  I'm concerned about him barking at strange noises in the middle of the night and waking campsite up but I wanted us all to have a break away (it may be the last  :shades:).
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ips

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
Pooch will probably be that tired after a days fun that pooch will sleep like a log
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
Spent last night again in tent with Monty, the little  >:D barked on and off for 25 mins at no sound at all  >:(  Kept wandering around and would not settle.  I fear it's going to be a stressful two nights  :-\
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
Spent last night again in tent with Monty, the little  >:D barked on and off for 25 mins at no sound at all  >:(  Kept wandering around and would not settle.  I fear it's going to be a stressful two nights  :-\

Oh bless, i felt the same when I took Reese to a b&b for the 1st time, I spent the whole of the days trying to  wear him out so he slept like a log, he also got away with sleeping on the bed with me!.. It worked!  ;)
Hope you all have a great time.  :D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »

Have you got a soft crate that will fit in the tent with you? Might help him settle.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)