Author Topic: How is yours coping with the warm weather  (Read 3090 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
Re: How is yours coping with the warm weather
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
when it gets hot like this I always clip orins coat with the horse clippers,  not really short but it takes it down quite lot, keep feathers only 2-3 inches long and clip reast so about 1/2 inch.  he is sooo much cooler and happier.

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »
We took chester to cragside and he had so much fun running about and exploring he got really hot and was panting loads bless him. He was trying to get under the car to get cooler. He obviously forgot how hot it was  :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Jett really struggled yesterday, he just couldn't get comfortable. He was a nightmare sleeping as well. I've just ordered one of those cooling mats, hopefully this will help him.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
Cooling coats are even better that mats as they don't rely on your dog lying on one position. Henry, being black, has a really hard time in the heat and wears his cooling coat from mid-morning onwards. If his body temperature is nicely controlled by bedtime I take it off to give his skin a breather, but make sure there is a fan on him.

We have a Ruffwear Swamp cooler coat.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Ollie is black and he has always struggled, he loves lying on the edge of our bed with the fan going on the dresser.

We had a five hour car drive on Saturday and we stopped 3 times the first and second time he refused water and while air con was on he didn't do his usual which is go a sleep (the norm after his Olliedays) the last time we stopped again he would not drink so we actually but a small amount of tea out of our flask into the water, would you believe it he drank every drop :shades: once again he showed he expects what we have as the norm little monkey :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline hoover

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
It's not so warm in Scotland (unfortunately) but we get Ollie in water of some sort before doing any prolonged running around in hotter weather, that keeps him cool and comfortable.  We have also found that poo bags make very handy impromptu water bowls on longer walks!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
Interesting. Archie honestly doesn't seem fussed. I do keep his fur very short but he's always been a fan of being wrapped up. He sleeps under the duvet and wraps himself up in the sofa throws every evening. He spent this morning underneath his blanket. He ignored a paddling pool I bought him when he was small although he does love a swim. (Or a muddy puddle) He's been outside to have a roll on the lawn in the sun today. Maybe he's naturally a bit on the chillier side than normal!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Henry refuses to drink when he's miserable, which is not good in this weather. Two tricks - yes, he will drink from his paddling pool (but refuses to get in it) and will drink from a cup if I'm holding it. Little tinker.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
We have a very large shallow tubtrug which we use to bath Darwin ( he needs constant washing as he now always wees on his front legs).  He's not keen on being bathed. But was happy to paddle and play find the floating gravy bone. Seemed to really cool him down yesterday and was much brighter afterwards.

This morning when I left for work. Darwin was in his crate in the kitchen with a damp towel covering the top and additionally I had placed a fan on the floor near his crate.  When my son got home from today's A level exam, he said the only cool place in the house was the kitchen.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
I might set up a fan on a  damp towel for myself!

Offline LilyPup

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
Dunno about Lily but I'm struggling in the heat :'(

I've only been walking her where there's water for her to cool off in, and I always take water for her to drink. Then when we get home I give her an ice cube, which she loves the lick and play with haha.

She's opting to snooze on the kitchen floor right now, instead of her usual sofa spot.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Teal is fine maybe spending a bit more time indoors than usual To be honest other than not walking on hot concrete I give no special treatment I used to work my dogs all day on the moors for grouse in august on some very hot days they paced themselves and I would make sure they had plenty to drink
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
Not effecting Gemma at all. Just takes it in her stride. The only hardship we have had is getting her out of the river when its time to move on
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Not for the doggies, but if us humans get too hot and bothered, holding your wrist under cold running water tap helps, had a friend who lived in Oz for several years, she said ice cubes in bag on wrists helped.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
I hung a wet towel over the front of Henry's crate last night then draped the usual blanket over that. When I opened up the crate again this morning it was noticeably cooler in there than the rest of the kitchen.