Author Topic: How is yours coping with the warm weather  (Read 3075 times)

Offline bmthmark

Re: How is yours coping with the warm weather
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
I hung a wet towel over the front of Henry's crate last night then draped the usual blanket over that. When I opened up the crate again this morning it was noticeably cooler in there than the rest of the kitchen.

I think I may try that as Jett did not sleep well and therefore keeps me awake as well  >:D

I removed most of the blankets that went over and just left a sheet.
Did you just soak a towel and put it on the top?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:11 AM »
I soaked the towel and wrung it out then draped it over the door of the crate before closing it, so it can't fall off. Then put his normal blankets over the top and aimed the fan at the front of the crate, from enough of a distance that he can move away from the breeze if it annoys him. I think putting the other blankets over was the key. A bit like the way the cool coats work, by heat exchange. I'm guessing the damp towel is drawing heat as it evaporates. With the blanket over it, the only place it can draw heat is from inside the crate.

During the day he happily sleeps with his cool coat on, even in his crate, but I like to give him a break from it at night to let his skin dry out.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
I soaked the towel and wrung it out then draped it over the door of the crate before closing it, so it can't fall off. Then put his normal blankets over the top and aimed the fan at the front of the crate, from enough of a distance that he can move away from the breeze if it annoys him. I think putting the other blankets over was the key. A bit like the way the cool coats work, by heat exchange. I'm guessing the damp towel is drawing heat as it evaporates. With the blanket over it, the only place it can draw heat is from inside the crate.

During the day he happily sleeps with his cool coat on, even in his crate, but I like to give him a break from it at night to let his skin dry out.

Thanks that's great info and I will be trying later. Hopefully it helps him.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
We got a gel filled cooling mat too - Henry chewed a chunk off it, then moved to the far side of his crate rather than lie on it.

He has a Ruffwear cooling coat that works really well, although it's a bit fiddly to wring out and everyone ends up damp if he decides to climb into you lap while wearing it. He's not a big fan of the cooling coat, but it made a huge difference to him last summer, and really sets my mind at rest when we are all in the garden on hot days.

Just been looking at these online, they're pretty pricey here  :o - just wondered how they work with a harness? We're taking Humphrey hill walking for a couple of days at the end of July and I anticipate it'll be pretty warm. He'll have to wear his (ruffwear) harness though as I want to (attempt to  ;)) attach his lead to a waist  belt. Can't quite work out how this would work?  What size did you buy for Henry?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
Henry never wears his walking, although we are never out more than an hour if it's hot. I pop it on when we get home so he can cool down, mainly because it's just as hot in as out so he doesn't get a chance to really cool off. And I keep it on him if he's pootling about in the garden and likely to fall asleep in the sun like a fool! His is size small.

You could wear it over a harness, though. It's loose enough that a harness would fit under, and you'd be able to get the lead on if its front fastening. If the lead goes on his back it would be trickier.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Henry never wears his walking, although we are never out more than an hour if it's hot. I pop it on when we get home so he can cool down, mainly because it's just as hot in as out so he doesn't get a chance to really cool off. And I keep it on him if he's pootling about in the garden and likely to fall asleep in the sun like a fool! His is size small.

You could wear it over a harness, though. It's loose enough that a harness would fit under, and you'd be able to get the lead on if its front fastening. If the lead goes on his back it would be trickier.

Hmmmm🤔 That's what I was worried about, the Ruffwear has the lead clip on the back and although there is a little one on the front, I've never used it as it doesn't look strong enough to use on its own.  Not to worry, I'm sure we'll sort something out, - thanks for the info! 😁

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
Bea has one of these, I'm able to put it under her Ruffwear car and walking harness.

http://www.keepcool.org.uk/dog%20coats.htm

Bea is currently Chilling in her bed with it on  >:(  I usually send her in the garden to "Top her up" when i need to poor more water on :005:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »
This is how Murphy is coping.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
Very sensible, Murphy. Showing this picture to Henry now.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Bea has one of these, I'm able to put it under her Ruffwear car and walking harness.

http://www.keepcool.org.uk/dog%20coats.htm

Bea is currently Chilling in her bed with it on  >:(  I usually send her in the garden to "Top her up" when i need to poor more water on :005:

Thanks, I've been looking at these aswell - they're apparantly used by UK customs' dogs, according to their website!  ;) I think I'll probably get one.

Murphy - you're a cocker with sense!!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »
I think it's a really good idea to get a cool coat just in case, even if you don't end up using it all the time. Henry came very close to heat stroke last summer (owner ignorance and puppy daftness combined) and the cool coat that I had bought on the off-chance might have save his life and certainly saved us a costly trip to the vet. We are much more savvy about managing him in hot weather now and use the cool coat as a preventative, but they are also very effective at cooling them down quickly if need be.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 01:05:24 PM »
Bea is living in hers :005:

The amount of people I see walking there dogs in 30+ and if that's not BAD enough,  with no water or any thought if how hot the ground is !!!!

Murphy, I have shown your picture to Bea, she shook her head,  if it goes near her belly it's too deep :005:

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Temperature is between 30 and 34C over here of late,  dropping to 18C overnight.

Our boy seems fairly indifferent to it.  He's spending a little more time indoors,  but that's probably because that's where I am....and thanks to our ancient farmhouse's massive stone walls, indoors is staying a comfortable 22C

He's still not to keen on getting wet, especially after a slight mishap a couple of weeks ago when he leapt out of our kayak and had the surprise of his life that water could not be run upon,  and is shockingly chilly.  But with his huge paws it turned out that he was a very strong and fast swimmer indeed.... He's not taken the plunge since  http://cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/Smileys/classic/embarrassed.gif

Its just as well that we're inside today as they've decided that todays the perfect day to harvest the wheat field behind our house,  so there's lots of dust and debris in the air at the moment.  With luck they'll finish soon and Barnaby and I will be able to walk the field looking for hares this evening.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
Current temperatures:
Downstairs: 27
Upstairs: 29
Outside in the shade: 35

A pleasant stone-walled 22 sounds nice.

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »

That's so cute - Rhodri loves the water, he'll swim anywhere but he refuses to get in the paddling pool!