Author Topic: How is yours coping with the warm weather  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
How is yours coping with the warm weather
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »
Ollie spent this morning in front of the fan and last night on the kitchen tiles, guess it felt colder, as luck would have it he was due at the groomers this afternoon, so hope this helps him bless - he always is out of sort with the heat.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: How is yours coping with the warm weather
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Laurië loves warm weather, will gladly roast in the sun until he fur is too hot to touch. Even when we lived in Budapest and I was slowly melting, she would cope much better than me. She is calmer between the walks, but when we are out she will run until she trips over her own tongue. She does seem to struggle a little this year though, even though we are in Norway and the heat is less hot. Don't know if it's just that she needs time to adjust or that her coat is longer or her age is getting to her. She is alternating between sleeping in the sun and shade. Happy to run around on walks. But more quiet than usual at home. Still loves to snooze in tha sun though, crazy cocker, I miss winter allready  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
Coping reasonably well atm, I am letting them play/rest in the garden or indoors whatever they want. Just come back from a walk because it is a bit windier now than earlier so thought they would be able to cope, did the palm test and the pavements were ok, and walked them in the shady bits as much as possible.

Toby cockapoo seems to struggle more than the cockers, probably his coat is a bit thicker.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
Henry is doing fine at the moment because although it's very warm there's a good breeze. When it gets humid later in the summer (as it inevitably does in London) I'll expect him to struggle more. He'll get a full clipping sometime in June. I've noticed he's better at taking himself off into the shade this year. Last year I don't think he had the sense!

We have a K-9 drinking bottle to take on walks - the cap doubles as a snout-sized bowl.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »
Milo isn't sure what to make of it, he's less hyper at home (which can only be a good thing[emoji12]) and finding places to lay down that must be cooler like by the front door up against the wall.
He's not been pulling as much on walks and making the most of any puddle or stream we come across.
I found myself putting ice cubes in his water bowl when making the kids a ice cold drink after school 🤷🏽‍♀️what we do for our dogs ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »
Daisy is happy with an early morning walk and a late night walk, but will only go on a short walk to do what has to be done when it is warmer. Very sensible really!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
as far as Gemma is concerned, it just another day to zoom around at full throttle.  But now she has her own water feature just 15 mins walk from the house so that is where she has been zooming today   

ps. has photobucket changed again ?
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »
Lucky Gemma!

Offline lescef

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »
We are at our caravan where there is little shade outside and 33ºC inside.  :o
I usually drape wet tea towels over them but this year we have gone up market  :005: and bought cool coats. They seem to be working really well and both dogs seem relaxed given the heat.
We've just done a walk wearing them and they have stayed in place well. Probably won't be used often but takes the worry away.  ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline juju

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »
Izzy has a cool coat and it really makes a difference. I can use it with her long line, I just adjust her harness a little. I usually leave her coat on her for a while when we get home.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Bea has had this Cooling Coat for around 4 years, it fits and keeps well.

http://www.keepcool.org.uk/tried__tested.htm

I got it becouse it was indorse my the MOD and if it's good enough for them.......

I also got her a gel filled cooling mat, she is not a fan  >:(  but can come in handy in the car, Car shades are also a must.

She will lay in the sum if I'm not careful so I have to keep an eye on her.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:06:58 AM »
We got a gel filled cooling mat too - Henry chewed a chunk off it, then moved to the far side of his crate rather than lie on it.

He has a Ruffwear cooling coat that works really well, although it's a bit fiddly to wring out and everyone ends up damp if he decides to climb into you lap while wearing it. He's not a big fan of the cooling coat, but it made a huge difference to him last summer, and really sets my mind at rest when we are all in the garden on hot days.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
I got Reese a doggie paddling pool last year on one of the cheap Groupon deals, he loved it! Put it away for winter and got out of the shed on Friday, he went mad when he saw it. I haven't seen much of him as he spends all day playing in and out of the pool lol 

I walk him early and late but also have a cooling coat if needed which seems to work well. He likes to spend the evening under the sofa in the hallway on the stone floor when it's hot.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
It always worries me when I see people walking there dogs when it's hot, one woman couldn't work out why her dog wouldn't walk on the pavement  >:(

I was driving past, I should have asked her to put the back of her hand on the Tarmac and see how much she liked it >:D

Offline Darwin

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
Darwin loves sunbathing. He's a cocker spaniel sun dial, as he moves around the garden with the sun

He's ability to cope with warm/hot weather has changed since he's been ill. I'm not sure about the cooking costs but having been looking at the cooling mats. Any recommendations?