Author Topic: Jumping  (Read 677 times)

Offline ian.peet.3

Jumping
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »
The last few days jet who is 17 weeks old this week has started climbing up anything and jumping off ..walls,chairs sofas etc there is 4ft between our sofas and he has started jumping from one to the other quite easily although not always successfully ,just a bit worried he might hurt his joints with the higher jumps ..has anyone else had this

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Jumping
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
 :lol: sounds like a cocker alright!..
While they do all love to jump about and it is all part of puppyhood, I would try to prevent him jumping from too great a height if and when you can (easier said than done, I know!) to avoid risk of overstraining the joints etc. Its a good idea to curb him jumping up and off furniture anyway, although sweet and endearing now, you probably won't want him doing it when he's about 14 kilos. ;). You could perhaps try and keep him stimulated with more placid activities in the house, searching for treats, toys etc, training obedience or tricks and keep the energetic stuff for outside, but even then, its probably best not to encourage too much jumping and leaping about until  he's a little older. :D

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
There should be no serious jumping, as in agility, until they are one but I think jumping any height should be curtailed. It's not something you want him to practice so teach an alternative behaviour that you would prefer. As mentioned - scentwork, kongs, relax on a mat. They are fun aren't they?! :005:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »
Its a cocker thing, the rules are don't let them jump as pups, don't let them steal food, don't let the run and jump after operations, who ever wrote these rules has never owned a cocker. At 17 weeks Teal would go around the living room at speed with out touching the floor. Distraction helps ..... a bit
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly