Author Topic: Rhodri and a blackbird problem!  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Rhodri and a blackbird problem!
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
I really don't know what to do and I don't think there is an answer really but here goes.

We have a family of blackbirds visiting our garden, I think they're nesting nearby and as we have a lots of bushes in our garden, they seem to be spending a lot of time here.

There are at least two babies, they can fly but not particularly well, they seem to get tired and need to rest before moving off again and this is where the problem lies. Obviously Rhodri wants to play in the garden and he needs to use it for toileting - we have a gated off patio area before the main garden but he refuses to toilet there and will only use the lawn. I now have to go out and check for blackbirds before letting him out as I know he will chase them if he sees them and I'm pretty sure the baby birds would not be quick enough to escape. He's just asked to go out and lo and behold the flipping birds are pottering about on the lawn. It's really not fair for Rhodri not to use his own garden but I certainly don't want him frightening the birds. I suppose my only hope is that they grow quickly and go and find another garden to frequent!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Rhodri and a blackbird problem!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
Can you take him out on the lead for toiletting, just for the meantime? I do this with Henry in the mornings and last thing at night when I don't want him rattling off after the scent of the foxes and barking his head off. Quick out and in and under control!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
Can you take him out on the lead for toiletting, just for the meantime? I do this with Henry in the mornings and last thing at night when I don't want him rattling off after the scent of the foxes and barking his head off. Quick out and in and under control!

Yes, I can do this but he likes to potter around in the garden aswell, particularly when the weather is nice.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
Here's hoping they get up to speed soon! Henry likes to potter too and it's frustrating for all of us when he can't. Blackbirds feed off the ground so they will still be there when adult but at least then they will fly off quickly. How fast do the little ones get away if you go near them?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
Maybe he needs a cowbell round his neck so they can hear him as soon as he steps out!,  :005: (only kidding! ;))  They'll be able to hold their own in a couple of days and will probably have fun teasing him!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:21 PM »
I have the same with Reese, I have part of the garden fenced off, the adults know him and get out of the way quick but I am going out before him to check round the garden 1st at the moment with the young ones about. My last clumber was always picking up and coming in with live frogs or baby birds etc, but he would never hurt one just pick them up and bring to me  :005: Reese I am pretty sure would kill it!  :'(

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
Here's hoping they get up to speed soon! Henry likes to potter too and it's frustrating for all of us when he can't. Blackbirds feed off the ground so they will still be there when adult but at least then they will fly off quickly. How fast do the little ones get away if you go near them?

Not very fast at all, they seem ok once they get going but they're a bit slow taking off. I've just looked out now and one of them is sitting on the steps to the lawn so even if I put Rhodri on the lead, we'd have to pass the little thing! It's as if they're taunting him  :lol:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
I've done my fair share of baby blackbird corralling .  Gemma is a b####. Trouble with her is that she does not forget. Whether it be one day or three days later from the incident she will make a bee line to the area
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »
I've done my fair share of baby blackbird corralling .  Gemma is a b####. Trouble with her is that she does not forget. Whether it be one day or three days later from the incident she will make a bee line to the area

Oh yes, that's Rhodri too! Even if he can't see them, he goes straight to the bush where he spotted them before!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
 At least the blackbirds will (Rhodri permitting) grow and move on. We have 'Houdini Hens' who seem capable of overcoming any fences to get out and wander into Buster's way. Great care needed as a chicken is never going to be faster than Mr B in Exocet missile mode! The electric fence kept them away until a helpful family of rabbits chewed holes in it.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
On Sunday I found a blue tit asleep on the deck, I thought it was dead, but thankfully it wasn't. Then there was a baby robin that was as unsure of how to get back to it's nest.  And finally there's the baby song thrush that seems to be using the deck as it's dance stage!

Luckily as Darwin isn't that mobile he's not been chasing them.  He seem quite happy to share the garden with them, but the wood pigeon that seem to like are garden are a different matter!!

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
The blackbird saga continues!

Hubby and I (and Rhodri) were out this morning doing a spot of gardening. One of the baby blackbirds comes hopping out of a bush and flies straight into the garage.

Now our garage is an Aladdin's cave - it's never been used as a car garage but is huge and holds everything known to man so trying to get the little blighter out was a nightmare. He just kept hopping from one corner to another! It took hubby about half an hour, rearranging bikes, tools, workbenches, you name it before the bird finally realised where the door was!

If you're reading this little blackbird, for your own safety, please move out of my garden!!!  :lol2:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »
The blackbird saga continues!

Hubby and I (and Rhodri) were out this morning doing a spot of gardening. One of the baby blackbirds comes hopping out of a bush and flies straight into the garage.

Now our garage is an Aladdin's cave - it's never been used as a car garage but is huge and holds everything known to man so trying to get the little blighter out was a nightmare. He just kept hopping from one corner to another! It took hubby about half an hour, rearranging bikes, tools, workbenches, you name it before the bird finally realised where the door was!

If you're reading this little blackbird, for your own safety, please move out of my garden!!!  :lol2:

:luv:

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
Londongirl's advice is good.

Inadvertently we have a similar challenge that we're starting to turn to our advantage.

Barnaby's WCS and 6 months old today.  He spends every day with me in the office in town,  so of course there have to be a few constitutional breaks to get him through the day.  We have an established ritual of walking the same route several times a day and always stopping at a certain spot in the park to do business.  Next to that spot is a kind of allotment area in which over the last couple of the owner has decided to house his flock of 10 hens.  This was all very exciting for our boy,  to the point of him several times failing to remember to do business at the appointed time and place.

For the last week we've turned tis excitement into a bit of field training. Now we approach calmly,   ignoring the hens,  do business,  then quietly and calmly walk up to where they are rooting about then sit or better still lay still watching them.  He's beginning to get very good at this,  not barking or making noise,  and indeed the hens are now happier to come right up to him (with a chicken-wire fence separating them. He stays on the lead the whole time of course.)

It seems to be transferrable skill too.  Two days ago on our evening walk Barnaby was rooting about in a hedge but returned on the whistle.  It turned out that there was a young pheasant in there that he could easily have grabbed,  but contented himself with a thorough inspection.

Maybe on lead you can get your boy to do a little steady-practice as well?

Offline ips

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
Londongirl's advice is good.

Inadvertently we have a similar challenge that we're starting to turn to our advantage.

Barnaby's WCS and 6 months old today.  He spends every day with me in the office in town,  so of course there have to be a few constitutional breaks to get him through the day.  We have an established ritual of walking the same route several times a day and always stopping at a certain spot in the park to do business.  Next to that spot is a kind of allotment area in which over the last couple of the owner has decided to house his flock of 10 hens.  This was all very exciting for our boy,  to the point of him several times failing to remember to do business at the appointed time and place.

For the last week we've turned tis excitement into a bit of field training. Now we approach calmly,   ignoring the hens,  do business,  then quietly and calmly walk up to where they are rooting about then sit or better still lay still watching them.  He's beginning to get very good at this,  not barking or making noise,  and indeed the hens are now happier to come right up to him (with a chicken-wire fence separating them. He stays on the lead the whole time of course.)

It seems to be transferrable skill too.  Two days ago on our evening walk Barnaby was rooting about in a hedge but returned on the whistle.  It turned out that there was a young pheasant in there that he could easily have grabbed,  but contented himself with a thorough inspection.

Maybe on lead you can get your boy to do a little steady-practice as well?

Brilliant, well done. One should never turn an opportunity for live training down. I have pheasant, partridge, duck, hens on my lawn in my feild and up the lane (not all at the same time) and utilise it exactly as you have. Birds train bird dogs as they say 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.