Author Topic: Getting an ECS from a reputable breeder - rules of "behavior"  (Read 571 times)

Offline Arrielle

Hello everyone,
My name is Ariel and I live in the USA.
For a while I have been looking for an English Cocker Spaniel and after attending the National Specialty in North Carolina, I got o few contact information from some breeders.

Currently I am on the waiting list of two of them (who know each other) and I do not know if I should inform each of them of my other request.

As many of you probably know, breeders know each other - as the say goes, " the world is indeed small" when it comes to dog breeders.
I do not know what the appropriate behavior would be in this instance, as I have never bought a puppy from a breeder before. Moreover, I do not want to " burn bridges" as I may look for a second ECS in a few years.

Thank you for your help.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Getting an ECS from a reputable breeder - rules of "behavior"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »
Hi!
my personal view is that honesty is always the best way to go. A good breeder who has the dogs' interests at heart should respect the fact that choosing a puppy is a lifelong commitment and at the end of the day, its important that the right dog goes to the right owner, - its not about just doing a business deal with the breeder and favouring one over the other its about ensuring that you are 100% happy with what you're buying. Obviously, if you commit to one and then "secretly" go for another, it'll probably cause tensions but if you make it clear from the outset that you're looking at other puppies and will make a decision as soon as possible, then I can't see a problem. If you were buying a car, you'd also look around!  ;). The reaction of the breeder will be proof of their integrity!
Best of luck, keep us posted!