Author Topic: The never ending trials and tribulations of Henry the Absconder  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: The never ending trials and tribulations of Henry the Absconder
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
ips - Indeed. It's the frustration of working very hard on proofing Henry's recall only to find a new situation arise that also requires proofing. The problem with Henry is that when one thing goes awry with his recall, it starts deteriorating in other situations as well. So I will remove him from this distraction for a few weeks while I reinforce the others that WERE proofed then work on proofing this distraction again.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
I see the dilemma, not sure what to suggest to be honest.

He is taking the proverbial in effect, so its really a breakdown of general obedience and compliance. You can see how easy it is for people to get that frustrated enough to fall back on an aversive in order to show pooch the error of his / her way. Without that there has to be something of value or some "thing" to do that trumps the value or reward of the behaviour you do not want. In a working / countryside environment usually from my experience what trumps everything even a chase is the reward of being hunted that being the prime motivator for a working dog. In your situation it is probably very difficult to reward the dog with a high enough value to pull it away from the excitement of other dogs or whatever. Obviously you have tried to find something but it ain't happening so really your back to enforcing the command. As I say its a dilemma that's for sure.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »
I'm not sure that KC awards would help you as they are really about general obedience and Henry sounds like he does know the basics. I did up to gold with mine but Maddie would still be off given the chance! Gun dog training perhaps?
It's the alternative behaviour thing again - but other dogs are soooo distracting!
I suppose he needs to 'check in' with you to get permission to go and play. I think I've read he does this with you when walking so you could try extending it to playing with others.

Sorry I'm childminding and trying to post at the same time - you've said about getting his attention!  Perseverance I think!!

I understand what you mean but the advantage of training with the other dogs in a class  is that you can provide the set up you need, - i.e. the doggy  distraction, otherwise you can only practise it if and when the opportunity arises. As Henry's basic obedience is pretty good he maybe just needs to be able to train it without the lead, with distraction but in a safe environment where he can't just bog off. I didn't have much success with any of the 3 schools we went to, we both found it very stressful but I've now joined a club instead, we play games while simultaneously training the dogs to concentrate and stay focussed and I feel we're making more headway this way. We've decided to give the (German) obedience award a go next year, I'm not really worried whether we get it or not but we have nothing to lose and I'm hoping it'll motivate me, its just nice to have a bit of moral support sometimes, it can be very frustrating when you're battling alone! 😉

Offline ips

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
I'm not sure that KC awards would help you as they are really about general obedience and Henry sounds like he does know the basics. I did up to gold with mine but Maddie would still be off given the chance! Gun dog training perhaps?
It's the alternative behaviour thing again - but other dogs are soooo distracting!
I suppose he needs to 'check in' with you to get permission to go and play. I think I've read he does this with you when walking so you could try extending it to playing with others.

Sorry I'm childminding and trying to post at the same time - you've said about getting his attention!  Perseverance I think!!

I understand what you mean but the advantage of training with the other dogs in a class  is that you can provide the set up you need, - i.e. the doggy  distraction, otherwise you can only practise it if and when the opportunity arises. As Henry's basic obedience is pretty good he maybe just needs to be able to train it without the lead, with distraction but in a safe environment where he can't just bog off. I didn't have much success with any of the 3 schools we went to, we both found it very stressful but I've now joined a club instead, we play games while simultaneously training the dogs to concentrate and stay focussed and I feel we're making more headway this way. We've decided to give the (German) obedience award a go next year, I'm not really worried whether we get it or not but we have nothing to lose and I'm hoping it'll motivate me, its just nice to have a bit of moral support sometimes, it can be very frustrating when you're battling alone! 😉

This is exactly my point earlier, you need to seek out the distraction and use it to your advantage, to set the scenario up but with a containment plan and a contingency. Maybe the group thing is the way to go !!!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »

This is exactly my point earlier, you need to seek out the distraction and use it to your advantage, to set the scenario up but with a containment plan and a contingency. Maybe the group thing is the way to go !!!

Exactly this. In our current situation, it's very hard to prevent the bogging off and each instance makes his behaviour more entrenched. I need to proof in a more controlled situation before reintroducing him to this particular one.

Offline ips

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
Just a thought, it could be nonsense but bare with me.
Could all the long lead stuff have effected his behaviour ?
I say that because I have noticed that if eze is on a lead in a particularity high level of excitement situation (the beating line in my case) when you let her its luke having let someone out of jail, the first thing they do is leg it too the pub. But if you risk having her off the lead in the same situation and contain the excitement (by whatever method) then legging it to the pub holds less value.

As I say just a thought

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
We're no longer on the long lead, so not an issue. I've made sure that the lead (any lead) coming off is not a cue for legging it.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi LG  you have my sympathies.....   as you rightly predicted young Barnaby's near perfect recall a few months ago is out of the window at the moment.

But we live in a very rural area,  so its slightly easier to deal with. Like IPS we rarely use the lead.  When he does go off-piste I'm sticking to only giving him a single recall whistle,  which if ignored,  results in my going quiet,  hiding or walking off in a random direction without a second look in his direction.  This tactic is working quite well and he comes looking for me very quickly.  But I don't think I'm brave enough to try this in an urban area though.

Another observation that may or may not be of use,  is that it is very noticeable that if Barnaby is out with me/us on a walk in new territory he is MUCH more obedient.  Kind of like he looks to us for guidance and security.  Once the new route has been walked a few times he's back to the new antics.  So maybe introducing the unexpected to your boy's walks may see an improvement in his behaviour too?

Offline EdinburghG

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »
I feel your pain , although Colby is generally a good boy, some days he just seems to be in one of those moods and the longer we walk for the more hyper he gets , I have had to tailor my routes to avoid the problem areas , like the gym where he sneaks under the fence to chase the rabbits or the area of the local woods next to the road , the only thing I have found that works in those moments of disobedience is to tell him I've had enough and I'm off home See You Later!!, anybody watching must think I'm daft but it seems to work once I've turned my back and started walking away it's not long till he comes running ! , I know what it's like walking in more urban areas and the stress it causes when they don't do as they're told , it can make you dread taking them out , if only they could understand that we're only trying to keep them safe !! Hope you find a way forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
I try and keep my dog away from other dogs as much as possible. He's much more obedient and calm when he's on his own. He just seems to get himself in trouble around other dogs and he totally ignores me if he's playing with other dogs. I'd work on walking him at heel on and off lead and teach him a release command. Teaching a dog how to walk nicely at heel on and off lead is very important. In fact teaching all the basic commands is very important I'd concentrate on that more than anything. Also I'd recommend getting a whistle. My dogs recall went out the window a few months into training. My dog now comes and does an emergency stop with the whistle.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
LG - hang in there!  Jack (show cocker) is now two and a half and I had many of the same issues as you.  I used a long line for six months with some success after a couple of AWOLs, but lately (last couple of months) it's as if a light has gone on in his brain - and he's much more chilled and improved enormously without my doing anything (much).  Off lead he very rarely strays more than twenty yards without checking in  and recall is steadily improving without any formal 'training'.   In fact, I confess to letting his training slip a little and gave up on treats ages ago (he's never been that motivated - even with roast chicken!).  His attitude to other dogs is more laid back, too.  I'm convinced it's age/maturity related.

On lead, I'm not a fan of strict heel walking and really don't see the point TBH.  Unless by a busy road, loose lead is good enough for me/us and again have seen a genuine improvement in the last few months.  Why?  I've no idea, but am certainly not knocking it!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
Barry H - that is music to my ears! Henry's two next month. Let's see...

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
I know heeling isn't important to some people I've seen lots of dog owners getting taken for a walk by their dog. It's important to me because he's much calmer and obedient walking to heel. I also have a mild disability I have back problems and getting pulled around by a cocker spaniel is no fun at all.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
There's a difference, though, between both heeling and general loose-leash, and being dragged by your dog. Henry doesn't walk to heel, but he walks loose-leash. I think that's what Barry H was referring to as well.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
My dog isn't perfect at it. He sometimes goes in front or walks behind my legs but it's far better than when I first got him it was very hard for me getting pulled all over the place. Plus I live in an urban area and there are lots of distractions like other dogs, cats busy roads etc. It's for peace of mind really. If I lived in the countryside it wouldn't be as important to me.