Author Topic: Walking on lead. Advice needed  (Read 1722 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Walking on lead. Advice needed
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
So how are folk getting on with lead training  ???
>:( >:(  Humphrey loves to maintain a state of suspense! As in the old nursery rhyme "when he's good, he's very very good and when he's bad, he's horrid"  I just wish for some consistency and a bit more concentration under distraction.

Offline ips

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
So how are folk getting on with lead training  ???
>:( >:(  Humphrey loves to maintain a state of suspense! As in the old nursery rhyme "when he's good, he's very very good and when he's bad, he's horrid"  I just wish for some consistency and a bit more concentration under distraction.

I had first lead walk this evening for well over a week. I had to reposition her (the pick up method) about four times in two miles. I accept it will always require maintenance especially if we have missed a week or so BUT the method is still working "for me" so I remain upbeat. On those occasions she was not pulling per seh merely got to the end of the lead which I consider only a blink away from a pull so I nip it in the bud.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
Barnaby is making good progress. loose lead now most of the time, but he still gores manic if he sees another dog nearby.

Walking to heel is doable when he wants to, and that's usually after he's in trouble for some other misdemeanour...

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
Marley pulled like a tractor when I first got him. I just stopped walking if he pulled. Took a month or so he now doesn't pull. He must sit at the road everytime. Just be consistent do this every day. Be firm but fair.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »
you should train the dog for its whole life.