Author Topic: Anyone recommend a tasty topper for kibble  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Anyone recommend a tasty topper for kibble
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »
Rhodri has always been a fussy eater and I know a lot of it is probably my fault but I'm a soft touch  :005:

Anyway, he seems to enjoy his kibble if he has something a bit tasty on top and he seems to prefer wet food in a sort of gravy.

He's fed Wainwrights kibble and I have tried their wet food but it's not in a gravy. I have tried some cheaper brands but then I worry that they're not healthy for him. Would a cheaper brand be ok for him just as a topper once a day. The ones I've tried are small pouches so he's not getting a lot of it but just enough to tempt him to eat all his kibble.

Any advice much appreciated.

Offline ips

Re: Anyone recommend a tasty topper for kibble
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
My one is exactly the same she wont have her kibble unless she thinks she has some human food on it. We put tiny amounts of chicken on, cheap cuts like thigh or small amount of tuna. Yesterday we ran out of everything so Lynn found a tin of stewing steak, cheap as chips stuff (no idea were it came from urgh) anyway tablespoon of it that's all and she wolfed it down 😁
Glad its not just ours that's fussy 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
If he likes gravy you could maybe try making your own bone broth and maybe feezing portions until you are ready to use.  ;)

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
Toby my cockapoo has decided that he no longer likes wet food on it's own, so I have been feeding him Naturediet dry food and like you I wanted something on top, so he has about 50grams of the Kibble and 25-30grams of Forthglade 'Just Lamb' meals 3 X per day. and this seems to suit him fine.

Forthglade 'Just' meals come in a variety of flavours including Duck, Turkey etc and are, as you would expect, 90% meat and  10% water, maybe these would suit Rhodri? They don't come in gravy as such but maybe worth a try.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
I make chicken stock out of the carcass in the slow cooker, with carrots and veg (not onions), scrape the meat off it, then freeze in ice cube trays. Easy to put on the kibble, will defrost in the microwave in about one minute if I forget to get it out the freezer. Dylan loves it and I know what's in it.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
I make chicken stock out of the carcass in the slow cooker, with carrots and veg (not onions), scrape the meat off it, then freeze in ice cube trays. Easy to put on the kibble, will defrost in the microwave in about one minute if I forget to get it out the freezer. Dylan loves it and I know what's in it.

Lesley and Dylan

Great tip 👍

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
I use the Winalot pouches, just half each, that's enough to wet the kibble. Not too sure how good they are, but their kibble is Arden Grange so they are getting some goodness!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
Yep we have done that with pedigree pouches (yes I know) and we also use Arden grange (cheap on amazon by the way) 👍

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
If you want tasty doggy gravy off the shelf Applaws makes some- 6 little tubs in a box.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
http://www.applaws.co.uk/product-category/dog/dog-toppers/
Daisy likes the Applaws toppers...  reassuringly expensive!!
Love Finvarra's idea with the ice cubes.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »
Boots do a baby stock cube, organic, salt and additive free, Rosie loves some squash and sweet potato cooked init on Her food......I discovered this when Daughter was staying and baby was wanging Her food all over the place.....Rosies default setting at meal times was under the high chair........She has a very sensitive tum but seemed to manage veg cooked in this with no issues so now I cook up Her toppings in these stock cubes.......and who knew dogs like water melon especially when chucked from a high chair.......

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
I have one at home like this.....after a long search I settled for Naturediet as a topper, I don't use much - but it gets the job done and he eats his kibble :shades:

They make a salmon/sensative one too, I can't recommend it enough, Ollie has always had a sensative tum, and I turn to the sensative one to get it back to normal.

I use to cook lean beef mince and carrot and use about a tablespoon on top of food, but as he got older this started to upset his tum too.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 09:38:49 PM »
I have one at home like this.....after a long search I settled for Naturediet as a topper, I don't use much - but it gets the job done and he eats his kibble :shades:

Just out of interest, do you use their grain free wet food or the standard one with rice?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.