Author Topic: Grass seeds!  (Read 2488 times)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Grass seeds!
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
Just been to the vets to get another grass seed out of Pips ear! Luckily she didn't have to be sedated this time. The only thing the vet could suggest was to walk the dogs on the beach. When talking about it to the receptionist she suggested putting some cotton wool in their ears! Now why hasn't anyone suggested this before? It seem such a simple solution that I'm annoyed at myself for not even thinking about this......
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Grass seeds!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
or a snood?????

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »
We try to stay well away from the type of grass or crop which have seeds having read so many horror stories
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:48 AM »
I was walking on a tarmac path that just had shrubs either side and she stuck her head through them, it's so easily done! The vet even said that she had them on the path outside her house.
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
Sorry I didn't mean the post to come across as criticism I was just meaning that the horror stories I have read and heard about have made me stay away from countryside walks for now.
Should have worded better, sorry 👍

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
or a snood?????

They should do a head net thing like you get for horses to keep flies off em. I am sure cockers would have no problem wearing one and would not try to eat it ....😁

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
or a snood?????

They should do a head net thing like you get for horses to keep flies off em. I am sure cockers would have no problem wearing one and would not try to eat it ....😁

They do! Google it...
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
Your joking 😞

Well I never.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »
Just been to the vets to get another grass seed out of Pips ear! Luckily she didn't have to be sedated this time. The only thing the vet could suggest was to walk the dogs on the beach. When talking about it to the receptionist she suggested putting some cotton wool in their ears! Now why hasn't anyone suggested this before? It seem such a simple solution that I'm annoyed at myself for not even thinking about this......
Wendall - my Pip has just been in this morning again as well!!  Seems like the two Pips are copying each other?!  So frustrating.  I can't limit my dogs to on lead street walks all summer, and have nowhere else close that I can take them in the morning for a decent walk before I go to work.  Am contemplating a snood type arrangement made from tights...  Desperate.com.  The foxtail is unavoidable as it lines most of the footpaths, being adapted to disturbed areas.  And this year seems particularly prevalent and dangerous.  Think it's down to the dryness and heat.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Cotton wool in their ears on walks?! A real excuse for cloth-ear intermittent deafness  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
Cotton wool in their ears on walks?! A real excuse for cloth-ear intermittent deafness  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Lesley and Dylan

:005: same thought occurred to me!
Its an idea though, anything 's better than having to keep going to the vets and Humphrey's such a wuss it means sedation every time and that can't be good...
Am still on the fence regarding the snoods, -  :-\ but I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.... >:D

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »
I don't trim the hair from around Bea's ear, I like to think that it helps to keep the little blighters out.

I do have to keep a close eye on them incase the dreaded yeast appears, as the ventilation isn't so good, the way I look at it is a Grass Seed could result in a sedation, ear infection caught quickly enough is a few days of drops.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean the post to come across as criticism I was just meaning that the horror stories I have read and heard about have made me stay away from countryside walks for now.
Should have worded better, sorry 👍

No criticism taken, it's just so frustrating when you think your safe!....

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
I don't think mine would wear snoods for one minute. Going out soon and will try the cotton wool in ears! Wish me luck!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »
Nicola tried the tights arrangement on Rodaidh.  Lasted approximately 45 seconds before he managed to rip it off in some undergrowth.

Jago had a seed and a bleeding ear yesterday - vet was able to get it out without sedation much to vets's surprise (it was really deep and stuck in) and much to my relief!

Snoods may work on some cockers but on Jago he'd be wearing it as a belt in approximately 15.2 seconds  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x