Author Topic: Grass seeds!  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Grass seeds!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
Nicola tried the tights arrangement on Rodaidh.  Lasted approximately 45 seconds before he managed to rip it off in some undergrowth.

Jago had a seed and a bleeding ear yesterday - vet was able to get it out without sedation much to vets's surprise (it was really deep and stuck in) and much to my relief!

Snoods may work on some cockers but on Jago he'd be wearing it as a belt in approximately 15.2 seconds  :lol2:
:lol2: that's what I've always thought - they'd last about half a second! That's why I've never tried. Really don't know what to do this year - they're worse than I've ever seen them, and I'm careful.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mum2Riley

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
Mine was in on Friday having 2 seeds removed...... I'm going mad with it.  We have literally no walks around here that don't involve overgrown hedgerows or fields full of the stuff - even the hayfields that have been mowed have left edges full of foxtails.  We've so far tried the cotton wool in ears (shaken out in about 25 seconds), a snood (needs re-adjusting every 25 seconds) and an Aquabandit (head cover designed to keep ears free from water).  Nothing works and we're about 100 miles from any beaches.  On top of all that, he yesterday ripped his dew claw off and had to be sedated again.  Too scared to ask for the bill.  The joys of being a cocker owner......... >:D

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Well the cotton wool didn't work! Pip was shaking her head more than when she had grass seeds in her ears, and they came out, and Honey lost one! I'm seriously going to try these next.

Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
Well the cotton wool didn't work! Pip was shaking her head more than when she had grass seeds in her ears, and they came out, and Honey lost one! I'm seriously going to try these next.

That looks excellent!  Grace has had three sedations for grass seeds over the years - I got a snood for her, but its one of those that apart from the elastic bit is very baggy.  I stopped using it when I realised that grass seeds were getting inside the snood and with that on her I couldn't see them.  I went back to checking her ears every time she brought the ball back and thankfully caught most before they got into her ears.  I shave down the inside flap of her ear to provide as much ventilation as possible and also as there is less hair for the seeds to latch onto.  I really like that close fitting snood as I can't see how a grass seed could work it's way through during the run.

Offline ips

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
I am feeling very lucky at this stage as touch wood eze hasn't had anything stuck in her seeds or anything else . Phew
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
I am feeling very lucky at this stage as touch wood eze hasn't had anything stuck in her seeds or anything else . Phew

You are indeed but living in the country, they're impossible to avoid unfortunately!😔 Also they don't just effect ears, they can also penetrate between the toes and I heard of one in a dog's eye last week. If you're not familiar with them though, just a tip to seek a vet's advice, trying to remove them yourself can apparantly cause them to penetrate deeper! (I think your Eze is probably just too fast to catch any!!  :005:)

Offline ips

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
Will bare that in mind if we get any. She is in our field a lot but I think the type of grass must not be of the "bad type" ... Luckily for us 👍

Considering the ear length especially show varieties its a wonder anything gets in there, I wonder if show ones are more susceptible due to longer and therefore floppier ears  ?

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
Likewise, and touching all available wood, never had a problem with grass seeds despite both dogs going through the fields like a couple of porpoises. I wonder if the grass variety that causes the problems is more widespread further south?

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
Will bare that in mind if we get any. She is in our field a lot but I think the type of grass must not be of the "bad type" ... Luckily for us 👍

Considering the ear length especially show varieties its a wonder anything gets in there, I wonder if show ones are more susceptible due to longer and therefore floppier ears  ?

I've always wondered why I would have to get the grass seeds out of my Cavaliers paws after every walk - but both my Cockers never get them lodged in their paws, just their ears?  Does it have something to do with the type of fur, or are Cockers paws somehow different from Cavaliers paws??

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
This is a french one caught in the Provence last summer... :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
No it doesn't affect shows more, it actually affects workers more as they are head down hunting and moving at speed.

Foxtails don't just enter the ear, they are hard sharp and pointed and have barbs so "travel" when the ear is shaken or scratched.   It also gives them the ability to move through the body.

Jarvis, my old boy, has had one in a tear duct, one at the back of his eye and one that entered the bottom of the paw and luckily chose to come out the top of his paw rather than travel up his leg. 

It's also common for them to be inhaled and end up in lungs - usually this manifests as an abscess on the left side of the body on the rib cage as it hopefully makes it's way out.

Jago had 9 in his paws, one in his eye and one in his ear after a day at daycare.  I wasn't impressed......

helen & jarvis x

Offline ips

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Flippin Eck, frightening stuff and all that from a grass seed....how eze has so far remained unaffected is a mystery.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
Flippin Eck, frightening stuff and all that from a grass seed....how eze has so far remained unaffected is a mystery.

long may that last!  We're all moving to where you are  :shades: :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

Yup, they are a serious problem not to be taken lightly.  Many older members will remember how Piph's Ozzy lost his eye to one.  :'(

I wonder if some cockers have a slightly different texture of fur that makes them more prone to picking them up? My fist cocker had pretty thick fur and was always having them removed from his ears - no matter how careful I was. His litter mate brother was much softer with finer hair and despite being a much more active dog and walking in exactly the same places, I can't remember him ever picking one up.  :dunno:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »

long may that last!  We're all moving to where you are  :shades: :D

Yep, just packing now, put the kettle on......! >:D