Author Topic: when is it right to replace a missed cocker  (Read 2101 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: when is it right to replace a missed cocker
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
I believe its often an individual thing - some may get another within days as the void is too much to bear (despite others protesting its not time but then they don't inhabit their mind and emotions surrounding this) yet some others may never get another dog again or may not get one that is similar to their last one either in breed or colour.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline conor

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
i only really know cockers and would love to get another when the time is right, my last one was a small sturdy pup , but so soft with my little girl, im just waiting to hear if there will be any pups coming up in the next few months, i might get lucky and find one that suits us, I have been out with my parents cocker and she is loving the extra walks and attention

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
I think it has to be what feels right for the individual - when I lost my Cavalier it was 2.5 years before I could get another dog, and when I lost my last Cocker it was just over a year before I got Grace. 
To be honest, it was making contact with my last Cocker's breeder (Rosie was a rescue and I only met the breeder after I lost her) and finding that she was having a litter that same year that made it possible for me to get Grace. 
You can never replace a Cocker, but the pain of losing them becomes easier to live with once you have another Cocker to love.   

Offline conor

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I may have found one, she is 7 weeks old at the min and will be ready to go in a few weeks time, a tri colour little girl, hopefully will get to meet the breader in the next week, she will want to see us and I want to see her set up as well, exciting times ................

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
Fingers crossed she is the right little girl, you mentioned when is the right time...........we had this talk too, and quite out of the blue my bosses sister volunteered at a rescue - a 7 mth old cocker needed to be re-homed - it was less than 6 weeks after we lost Jay, but the sad circumstances around the re-homing pulled at my heart strings and along came Ollie.

Each little puppy brings her own personality and enduring ways - each one is so different.

Jay is so often in my thoughts, but Ollie is here demanding as ever and at the moment curled up beside me.

Best wishes and hope the choice is right for you.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline conor

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »
Fingers crossed she is the right little girl, you mentioned when is the right time...........we had this talk too, and quite out of the blue my bosses sister volunteered at a rescue - a 7 mth old cocker needed to be re-homed - it was less than 6 weeks after we lost Jay, but the sad circumstances around the re-homing pulled at my heart strings and along came Ollie.

Each little puppy brings her own personality and enduring ways - each one is so different.

Jay is so often in my thoughts, but Ollie is here demanding as ever and at the moment curled up beside me.

Best wishes and hope the choice is right for you.

hopefully this little one will take to us and we take to her, just need to think of a name now,

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Best of luck! Do keep us posted!   :D

Offline conor

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »
Best of luck! Do keep us posted!   :D

going to see her on Sunday, so fingers crossed

Offline Charliechoo

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »
Firstly, I'm so sorry for you're loss, it's very hard losing a much loved pet, best friend and confidante.

I think there is no rules on when to get another dog, it's not a replacement it's a new chapter in you're lives, you'll always have the memories you shared with you're previous dog and they remain special and unique.

When Indie passed away age 12 I was utterly heartbroken, I still am 2.5 years later!  I swear a part of me died with her, she meant the absolute world to me.  I didn't want that heartache again, but I also didn't want to not have a dog ever again, we waited about 3 months when Charlie kinda found us! I got the opposite sex and a different colour completely, I wasn't looking to replace my beautiful girl, just to try and plug the gap she left and have joy in the house again. 

Charlie is a total different personality to Indie, he's a total clown and makes us laugh every day, he's growing into a beautiful dog and I could not see myself without him ever, Indie is still and always will be a massive part of my life, i love them both unconditionally and I'm sure when you are ready you're new addition will give you as much joy and love.

You'll know when it's right x

Offline conor

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
I have a new one home with me since yesterday, will get some pictures up later , in the right section

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
That's great news - congratulations  :clapping: :clapping:

I will close this thread now and Conor can start a new one for the new arrival  :luv:
Julie and Watson