Author Topic: People feeding my dog biscuits  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
People feeding my dog biscuits
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
Rant! I am getting so fed up with people giving Dylan treats when we are out. Now he's really cute, he loves to say hello to people. I've trained him not to jump up, and he runs up and sits in front of them for a fuss, then he comes back. But unfortunately quite a few people out with their own dogs give him a treat, without asking. Twice yesterday it happened, one man gave him him a big Bonio, which he fortunately dropped, so I gave it back to the man and asked him not to feed my dog. Happened again later the in the walk, I had to ask someone not to feed him.

I don't want my dog being a pest and thinking he can have a treat when he goes up to people. Don't people think dogs may have allergies and can't be fed biscuits?  Why would you give a dog food without asking the owner? You wouldn't give a passing child sweets without be thought a pervert! And it's often owners with overweight dogs that do it.  And there are some weird people about who could be feeding them harmful things.  >:D >:D

OK rant over, I feel better for that!

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: People feeding my dog biscuits
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
O'h I SO agree!! I think they're often well meaning, so I do try to just explain tactfully why its a bad idea but that doesn't always go down too well, my next door neighbour just seems to think I'm being OTT because I've asked her not to give Humphrey huge pieces of salami over the fence!!  >:D

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
Rant! I am getting so fed up with people giving Dylan treats when we are out. Now he's really cute, he loves to say hello to people. I've trained him not to jump up, and he runs up and sits in front of them for a fuss, then he comes back. But unfortunately quite a few people out with their own dogs give him a treat, without asking. Twice yesterday it happened, one man gave him him a big Bonio, which he fortunately dropped, so I gave it back to the man and asked him not to feed my dog. Happened again later the in the walk, I had to ask someone not to feed him.

I don't want my dog being a pest and thinking he can have a treat when he goes up to people. Don't people think dogs may have allergies and can't be fed biscuits?  Why would you give a dog food without asking the owner? You wouldn't give a passing child sweets without be thought a pervert! And it's often owners with overweight dogs that do it.  And there are some weird people about who could be feeding them harmful things.  >:D >:D

OK rant over, I feel better for that!

Lesley

I totally agree, I have had this a lot with Jett. Jett is only young and I am quite strict on his diet as I want to make sure he is getting the right food and the right quantities.
Unfortunately when we are out people decide to feed him, obviously he loves it but it does worry me as i'm not even sure Jett should be eating some of the food given.
I know the people mean well but at least ask me if its ok!!

Then hours later Jett gets a bad tummy  >:D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Another who agrees with you. Minstrel was and still can on occassions be a right pain to everyone  because as a puppy, people would feed him - in spite of me telling said folks that he suffers from colitis and was on a special diet.

It is also confusing for the puppy/dog  as they think everyone is their friend and wants their undivided attention (muddy feet an all)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:57:05 AM »
Totally agree, we rarely see anybody due to being in the sticks but it has happened to me on occasions on hols for instance. I politely tell them she is a working dog in training.
Oh also had folk pick her ball up and throw it for her which gets the same response
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
Couldn't agree more! I never even ask if it's okay to give someone's dog a biscuit - I don't want to! Why would I?

Henry's tummy can't cope with anything fatty - I dread to the think the results if he were to eat salami!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
Couldn't agree more! I never even ask if it's okay to give someone's dog a biscuit - I don't want to! Why would I?

Henry's tummy can't cope with anything fatty - I dread to the think the results if he were to eat salami!

Exactly LG, why would anyone want to give someone else's dog a food treat 😞  doesn't make sense. I even had a pet shop owner do it without asking. Maybe there should be a colour coded lead like those yellow ones that specifically mean don't give me food.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
I did see a Labrador that was wearing a dayglo woven collar with the words 'do not feed' woven into the fabric, but I don't want to go down that route.

It only takes a couple of people doing it for a habit to be established. I hate dogs hanging around the dining table, so,would never give them Fitbit when we were eating, but a guest surreptitiously slipped em some food under the table, and that was that  >:D

I know people mean well but wish they would just stop and think! I'll calm down now  :shades:

Lesley

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
Totally agree too x Jinley has wheat allergies that are touch wood under control.

I left puppy training in week 5 after being told we had to swap dogs take them to the other side of the room and get them to sit for a treat!  Told her in no uncertain terms I did not want my dog to happily go off with anybody else!

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
Totally agree - Alice was prone to colitis when she ate anything other than her usual food so I was very clear with anyone that she should not be offered any treats.  Louis is on a very restricted diet because of his metabolic disorder that ends up with struvite crystals and urinary obstruction - so again there are huge risks to him eating 'off piste'.

A fellow dog walker, who is also a neighbour, insisted on feeding them treats (and rubbish quality to boot) behind my back.  I told him very nicely that I would prefer it if he didn't - he persisted so I explained that I wasn't being awkward, but there were really good reasons for the dogs not to be fed (over and above the behavioural ones - he claimed that he was the most knowledgeable dog owner and that all the dogs loved him - really?!? - sure it wasn't just the food?) - but he persisted still, so I said I would deliver some of Alice's colitic bowel productions through his letter box and send him the bill if Louis required veterinary treatment for his stones if he didn't stop.  He then sneakily started 'dropping' treats when he thought I wasn't looking.  The final straw came when he hit Louis for walking too close to his dog's ball (?!) and when I protested at this he grabbed my arm and threatened me.  Charming man.  I avoid him like the plague and haven't spoken to him for 2 years now - but I've heard that he is moving to Scotland in the next couple of months - won't miss him  :D

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
A fellow dog walker, who is also a neighbour, insisted on feeding them treats (and rubbish quality to boot) behind my back.  I told him very nicely that I would prefer it if he didn't - he persisted so I explained that I wasn't being awkward, but there were really good reasons for the dogs not to be fed (over and above the behavioural ones - he claimed that he was the most knowledgeable dog owner and that all the dogs loved him - really?!? - sure it wasn't just the food?) - but he persisted still, so I said I would deliver some of Alice's colitic bowel productions through his letter box and send him the bill if Louis required veterinary treatment for his stones if he didn't stop.  He then sneakily started 'dropping' treats when he thought I wasn't looking.  The final straw came when he hit Louis for walking too close to his dog's ball (?!) and when I protested at this he grabbed my arm and threatened me.  Charming man.  I avoid him like the plague and haven't spoken to him for 2 years now - but I've heard that he is moving to Scotland in the next couple of months - won't miss him  :D

That's appalling  >:D. Exactly what I mean though. Hope he's not moving near me  ;)

Lesley and Dylan

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
This has only happened once a few years ago, I was talking to a lady who also had a cocker, we where chatting away when I noticed Bea was eating something, I turned to look and her father said straight away " O it was only a bit of Chicken"  I can't even remember if I responded but it did worry me as we have all heard story's of poisonings.

Bea has a Bright Red Medical Alert tag on now , so that maybe the reason that it hasn't happened again.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »
I hate anyone feeding my dog anything! 

My last girl had pancreatitis in her senior years so I have always been super careful about what Grace eats - even though it is a constant struggle as she is the street hoover :(