Author Topic: My cocker needs a job...  (Read 1089 times)

Offline cockerdile

My cocker needs a job...
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
It's about time my cocker starts pulling her weight!

She's had all her basic training and is continuing to learn and in fact needs that to keep her stimulated.

However, it's becoming more apparent to me that perhaps my cocker would like a job but there is a catch, I would like to join in and just like my cocker I resent situations where I am expected to remain sat down for periods of time. i.e. Awaiting and spectating prior to and after our turn (just like my cocker I start to whimper when it's not my turn and I can't just run about like a loon)

So what we're both looking for is a job we can do together and only be required to sit down when we want a rest.

We've been to gun dog training, she's a terrible retriever but could be a very good beater providing I work on a few things with her as she has a tendency to become self-employed unless I am continually micromanaging her to the point were I may as well do her bloody job! Our opportunities to be involved in beating as also somewhere between none to very-minimal.

She has a great nose; One thing we have been quite successful with so far is training her to mark truffles hidden around the house but of-course attempting this out in the wild is a little disheartening for both of us as it's certainly not a very fruitful activity so perhaps it's more of a side-activity and she needs a 'day job'

So really my criteria for a job for my cocker is:

• Let's her hunt about in long grass and undergrowth
  • Requires good use of her nose
  • An all year round activity, come rain or shine, sleet or snow
  • Gets us out there into the wilderness
  • Less serious, where the odd lapse in attention (by us both) won't get us both into trouble
  • Preferably is more of an ad-hoc activity which we can do spontaneously, keep going as long as we want and doesn't involve hours of waiting for 'our-turn'

Cheers :)

Offline hoover

Re: My cocker needs a job...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »
I take my dog Ollie out hunting for a training dummy at times (sawdust filled canvas dummy).  There is a bit of a procedure for this so that he doesn't know where it is...firstly I have to throw his frisbee as far as possible into open ground for him and when he's occupied retrieving this and not looking at me I chuck the training dummy as far as I can into a wooded area or area of thick undergrowth.  Then after he gives me the frisbee I send him off to find the dummy. 

I can join in if I want to make it easier by pointing him in the direction that I threw it or I can just leave him be to do his thing and just send him off with the words 'find it' and shrug my shoulders to pretend I have no idea where it is and he just gets on with his head down until he finds it.  Sometimes if it's easy enough ground I walk in the direction of where it's been thrown and ask him to work with me to find it.  Thankfully we have not lost it yet and I guess you can always make it easier by throwing shorter distances, helping the dog out more and always being confident you know where it is yourself.  We have a dark green one to make it as hard as possible but you can get ones that are brightly coloured to make things easier.

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
I think this is it, the only downside is she generally just touches the item with her nose and then runs off again despite how stubborn I act consistently saying 'go get it', 'can't reach' she generally runs over to it again and touches it with her nose again and then runs off again and the cycle continues until we both get bored and I finally give in and trudge out into the sticks to retrieve it myself.

Perhaps I'm going o have to spend more time teaching her to retrieve - she's finally getting there indoors but she's not there outside.

Indoors I can say go get it, can't reach, pick it up and she will pick it up and hold it in her mouth or me.... outside.... she tilts her head runs over, nudges it and runs off as if to say... yeah dad, it's here, i'm a go get myself some rabbits.

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
Is he steady ?
Can you throw a dummy and sit the dog and he remains sat until you give a fetch command ?
If not you could train it as that will help general obedience plus it will give the dog mental stimulation plus actually retrieving the dummy to you may become a more exciting proposition.

The dog sounds like he enjoys finding but not retrieving 😞  but if you keep picking the ball, Frisbee, dummy off the floor the dog gets the reward, if you stop picking it up off the floor then he will soon learn that he needs to bring the item to you in order to get the reward of a hunt, or are you saying he has no interest in anything other Tha his nose ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
Is he steady ?
Can you throw a dummy and sit the dog and he remains sat until you give a fetch command ?
If not you could train it as that will help general obedience plus it will give the dog mental stimulation plus actually retrieving the dummy to you may become a more exciting proposition.

The dog sounds like he enjoys finding but not retrieving 😞  but if you keep picking the ball, Frisbee, dummy off the floor the dog gets the reward, if you stop picking it up off the floor then he will soon learn that he needs to bring the item to you in order to get the reward of a hunt, or are you saying he has no interest in anything other Tha his nose ??

She is steady, but I have to say wait as I throw... she will wait for sure though.

As for the retrieval training, I've taken it back a step and am now practicing this at home indoors which she is starting to get a lot better at and knows to get a treat she must bring it back and hand it to me to get a treat as opposed to dropping it - if she drops is early I say pick it up and she will pick it up and hold it for me to take from her when I save 'give'.

When we go out into the wild or even just a familiar dog park she much prefers hooning around like a loon sniffing the floor so when I throw a dummy she runs to it, touches is and then runs about. Sometimes picked it up runs halfway back, drops it and then hoons around like a loon. At most picks it up, brings it back drops it and then runs off hooning around like a loon... but that's rare.

I have been directed to scent work which I think she'll probably enjoy, I have also been suggested to look into our local Search and Rescue group as this sounds like something we'd both enjoy.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
Sounds like a good dog 👍
Cant offer any ideas on the failiure to retrieve outdoors I'm afraid. Too much excitement too much scent, that's my best guess
Search and rescue sounds ideal.
Were do you live  ?
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
I think another dog is needed :005: a new puppy would keep you both on your toes and paws
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
What about scent work

Tried my cocker with this finds it really exciting you can do it indoors or out once they learn what you want them to find you can hide anywhere & they go & search for it
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Cockers are brilliant at scentwork.  Coco has done a couple of workshops and she loved it!  :luv:

Have a look at this link, tells you more about it and you might find some workshops local to you  ;)

http://talkingdogsscentwork.co.uk/Talking_Dogs_Scentwork/Welcome.html

Once you have got the basics, you can do it wherever and whenever you want   :D
Julie and Watson

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »
Yes, we have done level 1 and 2 scentwork.  It really is Maddie's 'thing'.  As she doesn't really like retrieving I use very small bits of cheese... but.... in fact she will go and search for the mice that are scented with catmint, pick them up and swop for a treat. You do have to wait your turn at the workshop but with some of them you can go as a spectator without your dog so you can learn what to do. I'm hoping to do more levels but if you live in the NW of the UK, sadly you might have to travel to find one.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Yes, I think scent work is the route I will go with her; It sounds like something we can do easily on our regular walks.

I see that one of the smells they use in scent work is cloves which is pretty easily obtainable!

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
There are several 'smells' that you can use. I did it once with vanilla. The reason for catnip is that it's not a herb that is used for cooking in the home that a dog might recognise in the future if you were cooking with it.  :005:
Kong make a big tin of catnip available from Amazon.  ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble