Author Topic: behaviour question  (Read 1120 times)

Offline ips

behaviour question
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
Neither Lynn or I do the "dog licking our face thing" however eze quite often climbs on Lynn and gets right up to her face attempting to lick her, she can be quite persistent at times. She rarely if ever shows this behavior towards me. She does not seem to favour either of us over the other.
I am intrigued as to what the behaviour means and why is it only directed at Lynn. ??

Ps
When she is in season or over tired she will also hump lynns leg but again rarely if ever tries this with me ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: behaviour question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
Henry does this to my OH but no one else - mostly. Henry doesn't see much of my OH during the week and on Saturday mornings OH gets up before me and spends time with Henry. If he sits on the sofa Henry will jump up and give him a very thorough licking, with a few nose nibbles thrown in.

Today I had to take Henry to the vet to have a sore ear investigated. He was as good as gold when the vet was in the room. On the two occasions she left the room, he immediately started frantically licking my face and nibbling my nose.

So it seems to me it is some sort of expression of... something. Appeasement maybe, to OH to say: 'Where have you BEEN all week, do you still love me?' And at the vet today - maybe a release of stress and tension when he found himself in a safe environment with just him and me?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Interesting, thank you.
I just found it odd that the behaviour is aimed at Lynn, maybe I have made it more clear to her that I don't want my face licking 😁

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
Interesting, thank you.
I just found it odd that the behaviour is aimed at Lynn, maybe I have made it more clear to her that I don't want my face licking 😁

It's the same with us, very much directed to one person. It will be interesting to hear if others here have a similar experience. My OH is definitely the more 'fun' person for Henry, but also valued for scarcity value. I'm always here, the mutt takes me for granted.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Our old girl Betty never licked anyone.  that was until she met my best friend,  a Frenchman.  She licked his leg incessantly whenever he visited.

We never worked out why,  and just explained it away to friend by blaming him of tasting of garlic and possibly frogs and snails.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »
Our old girl Betty never licked anyone.  that was until she met my best friend,  a Frenchman.  She licked his leg incessantly whenever he visited.

We never worked out why,  and just explained it away to friend by blaming him of tasting of garlic and possibly frogs and snails.

Ha, 😁

Its very odd isn't it. As yet nobody has been able to explain it so I remain intrigued  😉

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
Humphrey always licks my legs and feet when I've had a shower and covered myself with body lotion, -  he's also savoured my neighbours sandled feet after she'd had a bath, I have often wondered if its something to do with the perfume. My previous dog also had an obsession with OH's feet, they seemed particularly attractive after they'd been 24 hours in his fire boots 😤. There's no accounting for taste!  :005:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
Millie is not a licker at all but Murphy can lick for England. He will wait for me to get into bed and then literally pin me down while he goes to work on my face. And he is persistent too. He can go on for ages. He doesn't do this with anybody else but that is probably down to the fact I am the only one who tolerates it.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
Grace loves to lick my legs when I get out of the shower - she will also lick my face and I don't mind one bit!  But, when my other half is here she totally ignores me as he is her favourite person and she will try to lick his face, but he isn't keen.

I used to visit an elderly man (he passed away last year) and Grace would get beside herself with excitement to visit him - I never understood why as no food was ever involved - but she would rush into his flat jump up to him and lick his face like a mad thing for ages, literally washing him! 

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
Milli is not a licker at all but Murphy can luck for England. He will wait for me to get into bed and then literally pin me down while he goes to work on my face. And he is persistent too. He can go on for ages. He doesn't do this with anybody else but that is probably down to the fact I am the only one who tolerates it.

This is what Henry does to my OH - into his lap, front paws on shoulders to pin him down, and a good ten minutes washing. Every Saturday morning without fail. Rarely at any other time. 🤷‍♀️

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
Doesn't seem to be anything common really does there. I think its as murphy alluded to in that its a case of dog knows who is tolerant and who is not too being licked. I am not tolerant I don't like dogs licking me.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »

Ha, 😁

Its very odd isn't it. As yet nobody has been able to explain it so I remain intrigued  😉

Found this on the internet.

Licking for affection causes your dog to release pleasurable endorphins that calm and comfort them,

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
So if that is the case they are doing it for there own pleasure with whoever will allow the behaviour, they are not doing it for your benefit as such ?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
One of my dogs used to lick my brother's face with enthusiasm, but didn't lick ours. My brother was a large man and sweated quite a bit, I can only assume the dog like the salt.

Another of my dogs had a foot fetish, and if you took your socks off he would lick your feet for ages, cleaning in between the toes. Quite nice in the hot weather  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
In that case I wont convey that to Lynn 😁👍