Author Topic: Buster collar or comfy cone?  (Read 852 times)

Offline woodlander

Buster collar or comfy cone?
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »
Sweep has had a small procedure on her front paw today  :luv: to remove a cyst/growth that has been sent of for analysis.
she is having a snooze on the rug at the moment with a big bandage on.  When the bandage comes off in 10 days I think we are going to need some sort of collar.  I have been looking at buster collars & comfy cone collars.  Can anyone give some advice on which might be better for a front paw wound
Thanks

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Buster collar or comfy cone?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
Anything is better than a Buster collar!

Would you be able to use a sock or boot though to avoid having to use a cone/collar at all?
Julie and Watson

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
It is possible that you don't need a collar after the stitches are removed. It depends on the dog and on how much the paw bothers her. Could be that a sock is enough or nothing at all if it's healed enough that it doesn't bother her. Plastic cones are affordable and handy to have around as a backup I'd say. It looks miserable, but dogs get used to them quickly and it's only until the paw is healed anyway :)
Make sure she doesn't lick the bandage btw. If they lick the bandage and it get's soaked that will cause problems. So a cone is necessary allready now if she licks or chews at the bandage.
Unfortunately with front paws there are few alternatives to a proper cone since they can easily reach the paw unless a big enough cone stops them. I don't have any experience with the comfy cone. Just make sure it is long enough (reaches past her nose so she can't get her paw around the edge). The inflatable donuts will probably not help at all as they can usually still reach their front paws with it on. So I would go for a lampshade type cone of shame :)
Oh and I hope the biopsy results are good!

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
When eze cut her pad and had stitches we managed with a baby sock BUT it was hard work stopping her from trying to chew the sock off 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
Hmmm. I have a soft collar bought from my vet (£££)  made by Kong. I got it when Archie was nibbling his feet badly last year. It is done up with Velcro. He pulled it off in seconds.  >:D

Offline woodlander

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts - going to stick with a sock I think.  Sweep is used to having one on her paw as we have been using it before the op

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:35:05 AM »
We used one of these when Milly had a bad cut on a front paw pad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Walker-Protective-Golden-Retriever/dp/B000OLWXM8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1500082081&sr=8-8&keywords=leather%2Bdog%2Bboots&th=1

Worked very well and she soon gave up trying to get it off.

Bob