Author Topic: RVC Cardiology Appointment  (Read 758 times)

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
RVC Cardiology Appointment
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »
Grace had her appointment yesterday at the RVC.

She had an ultrasound scan and this confirmed what my own vet had diagnosed, mitral valve disease.

At present she doesn't need medication, but will in due course as the disease is progressive.  As to the rate of progression they cannot say - some dogs progress very quickly and some more slowly.  For now all I can do is hope and pray that Grace will progress very slowly.

The cardiologist said that most dogs present with moderate disease requiring medication, whereas Grace has presented very early in the condition - which in a way may explain why she is only 7 years 51 weeks and 6 days old (her birthday is tomorrow!!) - if I had not gone in for the routine appointment this might not have been picked up until she was 9 plus. 

We discussed diet, supplements and surgery.  Grace has the Yumega Itchy Dog oil, Ubiquinol, and salmon oil - she also has Vetzyme's but they are not given for her heart.  She also has a sardine each day!  Apparently the only proven supplement for the heart is the fish oils but that doesn't mean that other supplements are not helpful.

Mitral valve repair is major surgery currently being carried out in Japan, France and at the RVC - with varying degrees of success.  My own vet said this surgery was relatively new with many complications.  However, the cardiologist said that this surgery may be an option further down the road and the success rate may be much improved by then - obviously it may never be an option, but at least they are still trying to find a better way of treating this disease.

I'm still finding it incredibly hard to accept the situation - they said a good progression would be 1 to 2 years, then drugs for 1 year and then progression to congestive heart failure for which survival is up to 1 year.  So that translates to only 2 to 3 years of good quality life - and 10 to 11 years for a Cocker is not a good age with most living to 14 plus. 

For now all I can do is to make each and every day count.

We will be returning to the RVC in 12 months for another scan - unless she needs to return sooner which I hope will not be the case.  In the meantime I will be measuring her sleeping breathing rate as this is a good indicator of anything starting to go wrong - I do this daily, sometimes twice or three times - and for now she has a BPM of between 10 and 15 which is good.  I hope and pray it doesn't change for a long time.  I will also be taking her temperature twice a week as part of her usual routine, so I can be sure to pick anything up before it gets out of hand - as we all know how well dogs can hide things when they aren't well.

Oh, and poor Grace had some kind of reaction to being at the RVC - she is starting to get another bout of the itchies and I'm booked with the vet for Friday which will probably mean a steroid injection and anti-histamines for a few weeks (the cardiologist said this was ok) - BUT she is a super nervous patient and her tummy was suddenly bright angry red with red spots all over!  They tried to get someone from dermatology to take a look at her but no one was available - by the time I got home with her the redness was subsiding so I can only guess it was the stress that caused it?

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: RVC Cardiology Appointment
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
Forgot to add, that despite Grace being terrified of the vets she had her scan taken without being sedated - my own vet was able to do this too.  Apparently, once she is lying on her side having the scan she just drifts off to sleep.  Obviously this is a great plus as sedation is not nice.

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
Sounds as though it was a very comprehensive appointment. At least you now know what you are dealing with.
Lots of positive vibes for Gracie continued good health xx
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
I know this is a very scary time and I have no experience if this issue, however I do have experiance of the RVC (Internal Medicine) as Bea spent a week in Potters Bar and I cannot speak more highly of them.

I received the RVC magazine and I have attended a First Aid Course there, one of the Nurses has a Cocker with a hart problem and we where allowed to ask question, I know that the Cardio department is second to none, the team has carried out many succesful Open Hart Surgery's.

Animal Medicane is progressing so quickly so I'm not surprised they are expecting the success rate to improve.

Grace is a lucky girl to have you looking after her, I would take the fact of the next appointment being in a year as a positive.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both.

Sharon.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
It certainly sounds as if Gracie's had a very thorough examination and that she's in the very best hands, ( yours and the RVC's ). Its good that you've had the diagnosis early, so that she can get the necessary treatment  to keep the condition in check.
I wish you and Gracie all the very best and hope that you have many happy years together still!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
Sorry to hear x if you are on Facebook join canine health dogs and vaccinations what vets don't tell you.  It is a closed group and most on there are anti vaccinations but just put a quick search in for mitral valve and there was quite alot on there with some natural supplements that can be given.  I find it really useful.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Sorry to hear x if you are on Facebook join canine health dogs and vaccinations what vets don't tell you.  It is a closed group and most on there are anti vaccinations but just put a quick search in for mitral valve and there was quite alot on there with some natural supplements that can be given.  I find it really useful.

Thank you!  I've printed off an article from a link on their FB page which lists various supplements that I can get for her.  I think I need to find a tablet or powder where everything is combined as otherwise her dinner bowl will have more supplements than food in it! 

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
Also look up turmeric users group.  Many people swear by golden paste added to food as well as cbd elixir.  You just have to mention what medication you have been given though.  Many people try the minimum amount of prescribed drugs with natural supplements first.