Author Topic: Aggression towards other dog in house  (Read 451 times)

Offline SAMM

Aggression towards other dog in house
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
Hi I am looking for some advice about my two cockers.   Tilly (choc roan)  is 8 years and Willow (black)  is 9 months.  I have posted before as Willow's behaviour changed when she came into season at 6 months. She started to be aggressive to Tilly.   However that is now 3 months ago and things have got no better.  Two of the triggers we have identified are attention and food (ours not theirs).  However Willow will growl and launch herself at Tilly for no reason.  Tilly fights back for a couple of minutes then gives in.   Willow tries to 'block' Tilly from coming out of her bed etc.  These behaviours don't happen all the time, maybe twice a day.  However when they do fight it sounds terrible.   I feel terrible for Tilly.   Willow is a perfect dog in all other ways.  She is very happy, and submissive with dogs outside of the house.   We have tried isolating her but it doesn't seem to be making any difference.  Has any one got any ideas why she is doing this.  Is it a 'dominance' issue?  How can we deal with it. 

Look forward to your advice, Sam xx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Aggression towards other dog in house
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
I do not have the answer but our Gemma started to attack our older staffie about 2/3 years ago. no reason other than she see's  her. they used to play, eat and sleep together. Now the two are never together. it takes some organizing and you have to know where each one is at all times. the staffie is 16 years old and has never retaliated, just stood and screeched. Gemma will grab her face ( always was the same spot !) and hang on. no growling, no noise at all from her and no broken skin and no blood.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
I have two cockers that really only tolerate one another. Bramble will growl at Maddie several times a day, but it used to be worse with lots of noise!
I find it's usually when she's aroused - before and after meals, getting ready for a walk, guarding my shoes as I get ready etc . The dominance theory has been debunked,  so Willow is could be worried and feeling anxious about something. At nine months she is an adolescent and still finding her feet. My two have got better as they've aged but we have to manage it constantly.  Try to treat it as if it's nothing unusual.  I say 'ahah' then distract them. It used to really upset me , but they pick up on that so try to dismiss it. Have you thought about getting a positive behaviourist in to help you?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline SAMM

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
Thanks for your advice Lorna and Lesley.  Good to know that it can be managed.   I am hoping that once Willow comes out of the adolescent faze then she may calm.  She is also due to be spayed so perhaps that may help as well.  Like you suggested I need to keep things as calm as possible when Willow does attack Tilly and treat it as nothing out of the ordinary.   Will let you know how things progress xx

Offline hoover

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
I'll differ from most current thinking on this and say I do think there is an element of dominance here.  I think your dog is coming into a sense of her adult self and is developing a sense that she is more powerful than your other dog and can subsequently control situations to her advantage.  I don't think this will diminish if the status quo is maintained as she is constantly 'winning' these encounters and this is cementing her idea that she can control all future scenarios in a similar way.   Add to the fact that she is only 9 months old and still developing so as she becomes more adult she will likely consolidate her position.

Now to my mind this does not mean that you acting in an overly punitive or dominant way towards Willow will help anything, nor does it mean that she will always act so aggressively, as it may be that, in time, she finds that a look to Tilly is enough to let her know she is not allowed to sit anywhere near you when you are eating for example, and Tilly may decide enough is enough and not even attempt to go near anyway as she has had enough of the aggressive displays.

I think there is a trend now to interpret a lot of behaviour as fear-based, and there may be something in this to a degree - fear of losing out on food or attention - but that doesn't mean that a dog is not a bully, and that does not mean they are displaying an appropriate response to fear.  Two dogs may both feel fear but have completely different behavioural manifestations of this   - and we still have to control when the behavioural manifestation is harmful.    As a parallel you could say (depending on your politics) that Donald Trump uses the rhetoric he does because he is fearful and anxious - of foreign people coming into his country, of religions that are not his own, or you could actually just say he is a bit of a bully and trying to control people, resources and situations to his own advantage.  Fearful behaviour, to me, does not have the best explanatory power or potential for successful resolution for Trump's rhetoric and actions and it does not always have the best explanatory power for all dogs behaviour (although I certainly do not dismiss it and recognise it as a clear factor in my own dog's behaviour at times.) 

You are still the ones in control here and it must be very hard when Tilly is having a hard time out of this.  When your food is involved Willow is motivated by her own access to it and prioritising that over Tilly's access - but you are the ones that ultimately control any access at all.  So you can maybe (if you aren't already) try ensuring titbits are never available to either dog under any circumstances and never allowing there to be a situation where the dogs are potentially vying for access  to food.  Similarly you have ultimate control of the attention you give the dogs and you can make it clear that you don't find it acceptable if Willow snaps at Tilly if she is receiving attention from yourselves - you can possibly keep her on a light long lead in the house to remove her from fights.  I am probably in danger of being overly simplistic about your situation here and apologies if this is the case - this sounds a very hard situation for you all and  really tricky to rectify especially as your dogs probably have a sense of 'this is between us'!