Author Topic: Another Biter  (Read 902 times)

Offline Liam1985

Another Biter
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
Hello,

We have a 7 month old male working cocker.

We're having real problems with him biting hands and arms. It is getting to a point where we can't sit down at home without him jumping up and the biting at our hands and arms.

We've tried firmly telling him to stop, which makes him more hyper.
Walking out of the room, he continues when we come back in. Putting him in his crate. Again he starts again once let out. Also distracting him with toys or antlers for him to chew however he still prefers human hands and arms!

I was hoping it was a puppy thing that he would grow out of however at 7 months he still shows no sign of letting up.

Any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Online MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Another Biter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »
Afraid it is a puppy thing. Especially a puppy cocker spaniel thing ( hence the name Cockerdile).  It will get better and yes it will stop. There will be plenty of replies soon on how others got past this stage and survived. Gemma came to us older so we missed out on this "fun time"  :005:

by the way, welcome aboard
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
Hello,

We have a 7 month old male working cocker.

We're having real problems with him biting hands and arms. It is getting to a point where we can't sit down at home without him jumping up and the biting at our hands and arms.

We've tried firmly telling him to stop, which makes him more hyper.
Walking out of the room, he continues when we come back in. Putting him in his crate. Again he starts again once let out. Also distracting him with toys or antlers for him to chew however he still prefers human hands and arms!

I was hoping it was a puppy thing that he would grow out of however at 7 months he still shows no sign of letting up.

Any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi Liam1985
I haven't really got any ideas as we are in the same situation with Milo except he tends to show this behaviour towards my kids. He's ok around them some of the time then all of a sudden he starts biting them and barking at them so I try and keep them separate most of the time.
He is also a WCS male and has just turned 9months, like you I had expected the biting to have stopped by now. Just today my husband, 4 year old daughter and myself were out walking him off lead and suddenly he started jumping up at daughter nipping and growling, my husband put him on lead briefly then when let him off again it was all forgotten about.
I have tried treat training with the kids and getting them involved with feeding him.
Sorry it's not really helpful to your situation but you are not alone (not that it helps I know [emoji12]).
I do believe he is learning and slowly getting there but it's very stressful and frustrating in the mean time, maybe we just have slow learning dogs lol. Hopefully with time it will pass.
If you look on the puppy section there are a lot of treads talking about this and maybe will help you. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:25:26 AM »
While he needs more stimualtion and exercise now as a 7 month old it pays to not overstimulate him, which can also add to this problem too (usually when people make dogs excitable/hyper rather than general exercise and brain stimulation)

I've had hyperactive dogs like this who I've gone back to basics re training too as while they're like this they're not listening to you either (teenage thing) so simple basic exercises getting him to focus more might help too. Some dogs need more of a 'job' to do but it needs to be fun too but not make them hyper at the same time.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
Sorry - its a particularly cocker thing - it does pass - honest!

You need to balance exercise to tire them against not too much to make them overtired and cranky. Lots of learning things but not getting them over-stimulated. It can feel a bit like walking a tightrope at times, but it gets easier as you start to read and learn from your dog.

Also - avoid anything with artificial colours. Some aren't affected, but my old girl Sophie (the Sodpot) would go manic if some kind, passing stranger gave her a bright yellow treat.

Good luck. Most of us have the torn clothes to remind us of puppyhood!