Author Topic: 3 year old suddenly barking when left alone  (Read 759 times)

Offline Gillsy64

3 year old suddenly barking when left alone
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
My 3 year old boy Oscar has suddenly started barking and howling when left alone. Animal control have been complained to by my next door neighbours( they have never liked us,always used to complain about the noise my kids made when they were younger), rather than speak to me . Nothing has happened recently in the home to unsettle him as far as I am aware,am at a loss as to why he has started this. His dog walker says she has never known separation anxiety start at this age.I now have an app on my iPad and phone which lets me see what he gets up to when I'm at work,my dad is able to watch him too and will go to him when he starts howling. I leave him with a frozen filled Kong ,radio/tv on and he  has always been picked up by my dad at lunchtime to spend the afternoon with him. I'm starting to feel as if I have failed him somehow and I don't know how to remedy it. I feel stressed and can't leave him without someone being available to go to him when he starts making a noise.The vet behaviourist is phoning me tomorrow as is the lady from animal control, I'm looking for advice to help Oscar. Can anybody recommend a book that will help me to help Oscar be happy to be left alone again?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 3 year old suddenly barking when left alone
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
Hi, my previous dog started to suddenly do that and I understand how distressing it is. First of all, try to shake off the feeling of having failed him, there are lots of reasons why he might be behaving like this, plenty of  dogs have to be left for a few hours every day and cope quite happily, so its doubtful that you're to blame, the main thing is that you're seeking a cause and a solution. Its hard to pinpoint a reason from a distance  but the behaviourist will be able to take in the whole picture and hopefully work with you on finding a solution. I would advise you to try and stay as calm as you can when you leave him, its understandable that you're now anxious but Oscar will be picking that up and the more fuss you make, the more stressed he'll become. I don't kniw how your Dad reacts when he goes to pick him up when he's barking but a calm approach is useful there too, i.e. not too much "sympathy" and OTT greeting but try and keep both departure and arrival as low key and matter of fact as possible. I hope the behaviourisf has some advice for you, do keep us posted. Best of luck!

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
I think at some point all dogs have some sort of anxiety when left at home alone. Lets face it not even humans like to be on their own. But unfortunately due to work etc they have to get use to it.
I've noticed with my dog he is so set in his way, if anything in his routine changes it freaks him out.

Our morning routine prior to leaving him (for 3 hours) is:
1. Breakfast
2. Walk
3. Setup area so its safe for him (e.g bedroom doors shut etc as he likes to steal socks)
4. Let him out for toilet - he knows by now I will be leaving so he normally tries to be awkward and won't come in.
5. Sit with him for 5 minutes to make him calm
6. Give him a kong
7. Make sure he see's me walk out front door but not over the top bye's. This is important for my dog because if I sneak out he still thinks i'm in the house and will run around like a nutter trying to find me.

Has anything changed in your routine?

For me the what bizzylizzy said regarding not going OTT when you leave and also try not to look stressed is very important. These dogs are so clever they can sense something is not right and the more you stress about it the more they get worked up. My dog also hates the word 'bye' as he associates it with me leaving. Therefore I don't say bye when I leave through the front door. However its useful when i'm out and he is being a pain and not coming back to me as I shout 'bye' to him and he runs over in seconds lol

Please keep us updated and I wish you all the luck

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
I think at some point all dogs have some sort of anxiety when left at home alone. Lets face it not even humans like to be on their own. But unfortunately due to work etc they have to get use to it.
I've noticed with my dog he is so set in his way, if anything in his routine changes it freaks him out.

Our morning routine prior to leaving him (for 3 hours) is:
1. Breakfast
2. Walk
3. Setup area so its safe for him (e.g bedroom doors shut etc as he likes to steal socks)
4. Let him out for toilet - he knows by now I will be leaving so he normally tries to be awkward and won't come in.
5. Sit with him for 5 minutes to make him calm
6. Give him a kong
7. Make sure he see's me walk out front door but not over the top bye's. This is important for my dog because if I sneak out he still thinks i'm in the house and will run around like a nutter trying to find me.

Has anything changed in your routine?

For me the what bizzylizzy said regarding not going OTT when you leave and also try not to look stressed is very important. These dogs are so clever they can sense something is not right and the more you stress about it the more they get worked up. My dog also hates the word 'bye' as he associates it with me leaving. Therefore I don't say bye when I leave through the front door. However its useful when i'm out and he is being a pain and not coming back to me as I shout 'bye' to him and he runs over in seconds lol

Please keep us updated and I wish you all the luck

I completely agree with mark and bizzylizzie. Calm demeanour ensures calm dog. I have very similar routine as mark. Out for comfort break and bit of a mooch, doggie breakfast, sit on sofa with her for five mins whilst I check my emails then either in her run or de-cocker the lounge then say "good girl you stay there I wont be long" she has no problem being led for up to three hours. On return again very calm I am home its no big deal. If however you were to make a big fuss like my dear old mum who treats her like a baby she would sense that its a big enough deal to be concerned about.
Did something happen whilst you were away, a strange noise or someone knocking on the door ??
I would think tat if the behaviour came from nowhere then something must have triggered it.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Ps
"animal control"  ????
What's that then ??

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
Ps
"animal control"  ????
What's that then ??

Guessing this might be an American dog as they have what they call animal control there.  I've seen them out in their vans rounding up the strays to take to the shelters - and I've been in the shelters over there and it's truly awful, the sheer number of dogs that are stray or discarded by their owners is horrendous - it is not what you would call a shelter, just a holding facility before they are killed and turned into soap :(:(

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
Thanks for all your input. I live in Scotland and animal control is a department of the local council that people phone when they want to complain about animal behaviour,kind of like dog wardens. Have spoken to behaviourist at my vets today and she seems to think something has frightened him when he's been alone, because it's unusual for a dog of his age to suddenly develop this. Anyway she is off on holiday now for the rest of the school holidays but will book us in for an appointment when she's back at work in middle of August

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
Poor pup.

Have you tried putting your coat on, going out, coming back in, rinse and repeat with progressively longer gaps?

I know this is hard, but I wonder if going to him when he howls is reinforcing the howling- so he gets upset, cries, and someone comes to cuddle him. Not that I can imagine for one minute letting Bonnie howl, but you know what I mean. If the howling is working, then why not keep at it?

I'd do the de-sensitisation over time if it was me.

Sheila

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
Thanks for all your input. I live in Scotland and animal control is a department of the local council that people phone when they want to complain about animal behaviour,kind of like dog wardens. Have spoken to behaviourist at my vets today and she seems to think something has frightened him when he's been alone, because it's unusual for a dog of his age to suddenly develop this. Anyway she is off on holiday now for the rest of the school holidays but will book us in for an appointment when she's back at work in middle of August

As I suspected then.

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Hi. Don't worry about animal control. I work in that field in Scotland and it's more advice based than action. (Despite what might get said). Don't be stressing about it or it will stress your dog more and get into a vicious circle. You are welcome to PM me and I'd give advice on the powers of animal welfare and councils. Wish I was so good on actual dog advice as my cocker Rowan is a rascal of a garden barker, funnily enough also started at three and has never stopped in the three years since  :005:
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.