Author Topic: Back issue???  (Read 507 times)

Offline Doogers

• Donator
Back issue???
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for some help please,

Indie, my 7 year old show type cocker bitch developed an issue yesterday. She started acting really strange late evening and was reluctant to go upstairs. Also when the doorbell went she was very subdued and didn’t jump up at the person at all (she always goes absolutely crazy when people turn up and jumps about like a kangaroo!)

Took her out this morning on a short lead walk and she seems absolutely fine walking but again didn’t want to climb stairs and didn’t hop around when I was preparing her breakfast.

Could she have hurt her back/discs somehow?? She’s eating/drinking fine and doesn’t appear in any pain. I was going to give it 24hrs then take her to the vet, do you think that is the right thing to do? Does this sort of issue clear up on its own??  :huh:

Thanks
Chris

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Back issue???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
Its often difficult deciding if a vet's visit is necessary or not and its hard to advise what to do from a distance. If she's not in any evident pain, seems ok in herself and is eating normally, then I think I'd tend to wait a couple of days and see how it goes. However if any of her movements are restricted or she seems unhappy, then I'd get her checked out. It could be any number of things but if she's flinching or not wanting to put weight on her legs, then I'd get her checked out. Sorry not to be of more help, hope she's ok. Keep us posted!

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
Could be a strain in her back .

Jodie my cocker stopped wanting to jump in the car or on the furniture or would think about it but was running around fine.

It turned out to be a strain in her lumber area anti inflamatories rest the I have had some massage & physio.  I would monitor if no improvement within a few days i would pop to the vets
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Darwin

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
It's really difficult to judge when a trip to the Vets is necessary. But you know your dog and know when something isn't right.  Based on my experience with Darwin and his spinal issues I would recommend a trip to the Vets.  The Vet will probably at this stage recommend a period of very limited exercise and a course of Metacam