Author Topic: Adverse to any change  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
Adverse to any change
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »
Does anyone else have this issue? We've just had another anxious holiday break spoilt as Rowan can't handle any changes at all. We went to one of our favourite dog friendly hotels in Peebles but almost ended up at the vets due to Rowan getting herself (then us) in such a state. We tried to walk her (unfamiliar route to her) and the whites of her eyes ended up red and her lip folds and gums the darkest red with frantic panting for an hour afterwards. Add to that pulling on her harness like a demented demon to get back to the car (we think) the whole time, it wasnt fun for any of us! She spent the rest of the break in the hotel room (she planted the paws and full weight) only venturing to pee.  She refused to mess as well. She does this every time we take her somewhere but if she stays at her gran/Papa's (who she loves), she apparently cries and lies moping til we are back. We're at a loss what to do for the best. I'd happily never go away again but hubby doesn't share that view  ph34r . Any advice would be welcome.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline ips

Re: Adverse to any change
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
No never experienced that, it sounds a major issue for you. I hope you can work through it.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Had a dog that would not pee or poo for the first day or so on holiday, but no troubles to that extent, it does spoil a holiday for you all I would imagine and hard to know what to do for the best.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »
That's sad.  Poor girl.  Am I right that she doesn't have much sight?  Have you tried Adaptil collars/ spray to help relax her in new situations?  How often does she go to your parents?  is there any way to acclimatize her to that so she doesn't fret while there?  Perhaps you could leave her there just for a night or two regularly so she learns to settle.  And try the collar/spray if you haven't already. Getting her used to going to lots of new places will probably be really difficult taking into account how bad her reaction has been this last time.  It really is a difficult one.  Other thing you could possibly try is a house sitter while you are away.  then she could stay in familiar surroundings.  Perhaps she might settle better at home?  Granted she's have to get used to a new person, but if it's her poor sight that's contributing to her stress, she might adapt better to staying in her familiar environment, just having to get used to the sitter (which you could probably start a while before going away). Just a thought.  It sounds like a very difficult and stressful situation for you all.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
That does sound stressful and obviously no pleasure for anyone, including Rowan. Sorry, can't quite remember what you've said about her before, - has she always been nervous or is it due to some sort of trauma or negative experience?
If your parents are happy to always have her, I tend to agree with Emily and would perhaps  concentrate on trying to get her to settle with them. Maybe you could generally just try and practice introducing her to new environments gradually, short walks in a strange place for example, and then try and make each experience as positive as possible to try and build up her confidence. I think the generally run up to a holiday can make a lot of dogs apprehensive, they pick up on the change of routine as soon as the suitcases get taken down from the loft, try and stay as laid back and "normal" as you can, even if she's starting to show signs of stress otherwise it starts to become a bit of a vicious circle.
I wonder if a Thundershirt would help? I've no experience of them myself but have read some very positive reports. It might also be an idea to seek professional advice ...
I do hope you can find an answer, it would be such a shame to have to forego holidays....
Best of luck!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

Have you looked into T-Touch?  Sounds like it might help Rowan (and certainly nothing to lose by giving it a go!).
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:45:21 PM »

Have you looked into T-Touch?  Sounds like it might help Rowan (and certainly nothing to lose by giving it a go!).

T touch...whats that then
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »
While Ollie is poles apart and loves to go away, I am always very concerned in case he takes a dislike to someone, we have taken him away since he was young, we stayed in Cheltenham a few weeks back and the morning we were leaving the maid came bounding out of the next room he went bonkers, having walked in and out and up a down countless times and past folk.   I panicked OH picked Ollie up and said something witty, Ollie calmed and she laughed.

I know he reacts to me....always has done since he was little - he can read me like a book.  I wonder if Rowan picks up on your anxiety etc.  I honestly have no idea I am doing anything :shades: but OH says its me.  These cockers are so intelligent I wonder if she is picking up on something and making things worse. If we go abroad like Rowan, Ollie has an adoring Nana - but she too says it is a good 24 to 36 hours of crying and not eating till he comes round, largely due to the fact that he knows he will be sleep on the bed with her ;)

I wonder if you try self catering but with a hotel attached so hubby has the hotel amenities but Rowan has a private place, then maybe Rowan stress and your stress is less.  I think that somehow it is anticipated that all three of you will get worked up and she is picking up on this.

Can I ask do you stay over night with family and how is Rowan then, if not maybe you could try staying at your parents a couple of times before you go away.

Do hope you manage to sort things out
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »

http://www.ttouch.com/

I did an introductory course several years ago and, while Honey hated T-Touch itself (a very rare response, but the strength of her response was enough to convince me it has an effect on dogs... all the other dogs on the course loved it!!!), the practitioner was able to recommend, from the way Honey's coat lay, and the way she reacted to the T-Touch exercises, that we saw a chiropractor, who confirmed several musculo-skeletal issues we've been able to manage since.... (nothing major, but enough to cause anxiety around big bouncy dogs who could set off the twinges she is prone to).

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »
Thanks everyone. Rowan has less than 40% sight overall and no peripheral vision which I think causes her problems with change. We've tried various; cottages, hotels, apartments but she's the same everywhere. She does love people so inside the hotel was fine. Typical excitable cocker in the middle of everyone lapping up the attention (and stealing the tea and biscuits)! She did bump into lots of things but we manage that with her in the main - that's sight related for sure. It's outside - whether fear, dislike, strangeness or what I'm not sure (maybe them all) but I can't risk her getting that bad again. Like most of you here, she's the centre of the world to us all so we won't risk that again ever. She's never had a bad experience outside either but must walk the exact same route every day (even trying to bump into parked cars if they are where she usually crosses the road). Parents live in a one bed bungalow now so we can't stay over but we've done the little, often but she's the same - crying for home. Think We'll look into a house sitter and the calming spray and collar (although to date she's never allowed a collar). I've never heard of Ttouch but being petted, rubbed, cuddled etc is her 2nd favourite thing (after pork) so I'm not sure that's a thing for her but I'll still look it up. Interestingly it was hubby she wanted to stick to like glue - he's the boss and she seemed to want his security rather than my fussing and spoiling like she prefers at home.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
She's never had a bad experience outside either but must walk the exact same route every day
This is quite telling I think.  Reading your post it seems that in a confined space she feels more secure, and that perhaps in the big outdoors it's all a bit overwhelming - probably due to her lack of peripheral vision.  And it sounds like she would be ok with a housesitter if she likes people.  And then she could do her usual walk with little change to her routine.  She may still take a couple of days to settle once you've gone so try not to panic too much if she does.  All of mine (but my 12yo particularly) takes at least a night of pacing and waiting at the door before he settles when I'm away.  My mum stays at my house to look after him, and they absolutely love her, but still fret until they realise I'm not coming back the first night.  I hope you find a solution that suits you all.  Rowan is a lucky little dog having you care so much for her welfare and happiness  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Aww sorry to hear this!

I addition I wonder if a thundershirt would help?

Also what about these? http://www.dorwest.com/products/SV/scullcap-and-valerian-tablets-for-dogs-and-cats

My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »
Poor Rowan and poor you.  Sounds like she's lost confidence.  How's her hearing?

Our old girl Betty was almost totally blind and deaf in the end,  but amazingly never got locked on routine like Rowan.   Biggest problem we had was dealing with the deafness as this was progressive,  first in one ear then both.  The deafness definitely had a bigger confusing effect on her than loss of sight.

Maybe you're onto something with Rowan seeking security by proximity to your husband. My wife tells me that Betty rejuvenated when I came into their lives ( Betty was 9 years old  at that time).  I'm a fairly lead-from-the-front kind of person and the old girl (the Cocker!)responded well to this and was happy to accompany me anywhere.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
Thanks everyone. Rowan has less than 40% sight overall and no peripheral vision which I think causes her problems with change. We've tried various; cottages, hotels, apartments but she's the same everywhere. She does love people so inside the hotel was fine. Typical excitable cocker in the middle of everyone lapping up the attention (and stealing the tea and biscuits)! She did bump into lots of things but we manage that with her in the main - that's sight related for sure. It's outside - whether fear, dislike, strangeness or what I'm not sure (maybe them all) but I can't risk her getting that bad again. Like most of you here, she's the centre of the world to us all so we won't risk that again ever. She's never had a bad experience outside either but must walk the exact same route every day (even trying to bump into parked cars if they are where she usually crosses the road). Parents live in a one bed bungalow now so we can't stay over but we've done the little, often but she's the same - crying for home. Think We'll look into a house sitter and the calming spray and collar (although to date she's never allowed a collar). I've never heard of Ttouch but being petted, rubbed, cuddled etc is her 2nd favourite thing (after pork) so I'm not sure that's a thing for her but I'll still look it up. Interestingly it was hubby she wanted to stick to like glue - he's the boss and she seemed to want his security rather than my fussing and spoiling like she prefers at home.

Would it be possible for your parents to come and stay at your house to look after Rowan while you are away?  Or would they not manage the stairs?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:12 PM »

If she likes being petted and handled, T-Touch may well be great - they are specific "touches" that help improve anxiety, or even pain, alongside body work.  The thundershirt that people recommend was also developed from a T-Touch body wrap....

:)