Author Topic: Skipping Seasons  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« on: July 30, 2005, 01:17:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
just wondering if anyone has experienced missed or skipped seasons with their bitches.
My girl was due on heat at the beginning of July and is usually as regular as clockwork. Still no signs of her season yet.
Is this unusual?
I have been trying to keep her weight down as she is to be mated this season, yet have noticed the last few days she appears fatter/bloated, maybe due to hormones about to explode on the scene????

It's winter and cold in Oz also, so maybe that has something to do with it. She is well, fit and happy otherwise.

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:54:54 PM »
It's early days yet.
Penny went 6 mths between 1 and 2 therefore I assumed she would be every 6 mths, but she went 8mths between 2 and 3 and 7 mths between 3 and 4

She is the only one out of 4 bitches that I have had that is slightly irregular with her pattern, but she is the most affected by her hormones (terrible urges to show her bottom off to the boys)

From Karen
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 02:43:17 AM »
Yep, guess she will come on soon enough. I'm a worry wart! I'm imagining she is brewing a pyometra.
Poor girl's tummy rumbling woke me up at 4am and I had to give her some food to make it stop so we could all go back to sleep! That was a new one for us!
She had dinner slightly earlier (and slightly smaller) than usual, without the night time bickie snack.
I don't understand why she looks so fat, almost like she is having phantom pre season.
And, she constantly backs up to her neutered male companion when in season. Poor boy took four seasons to figure out what she was asking for, and when he finally attempted to help her out, he climbed on sideways, backwards, any which way but the right one :blink:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 11:43:52 AM »
Poor boy took four seasons to figure out what she was asking for, and when he finally attempted to help her out, he climbed on sideways, backwards, any which way but the right one :blink:
[snapback]138838[/snapback]

:lol: , that is exactly what my collie was like when he finally got the hint  :lol: .
Cayley.

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 08:19:35 PM »
They always skip seasons or at least make you wait very very long when you plan to mate them ;). My Emma, who had always worked like a clock, made me wait 16 months before she had the season I mated her from  :D ..
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:44:13 AM »
Wow Katina, bet it was worth the wait though!
Well, she still hasn't come on heat, no sign of it yet. Unusual, as with her I can predict almost to the day.  I am really starting to think it won't happen.

So, they can actually skip seasons then?

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »
Meybe your girl could have had a silent season?
You probably woulden't have noticed if this happened.
She could just be late. All bitches are different.

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 08:06:45 PM »
Wow Katina, bet it was worth the wait though!
Well, she still hasn't come on heat, no sign of it yet. Unusual, as with her I can predict almost to the day.  I am really starting to think it won't happen.

So, they can actually skip seasons then?
[snapback]139425[/snapback]

Yes, they can skip seasons.
I really don't about Emmas litter, she had 3 gorgeus boys, and their owners love them to bits and they look really promising..
But hey, where was my bitch puppy  :D ?

Well, maybe better luck next time!
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:41:23 PM »
They always skip seasons or at least make you wait very very long when you plan to mate them ;). My Emma, who had always worked like a clock, made me wait 16 months before she had the season I mated her from  :D ..
[snapback]139200[/snapback]

I'm sure you are right Katina  :lol: - we had plans to mate holly...but she is 3 weeks over due now  :rolleyes: .

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 09:59:34 PM »
Yep, guess she will come on soon enough. I'm a worry wart! I'm imagining she is brewing a pyometra.
[snapback]138838[/snapback]

Oh dear - I'm getting worried now  :( ......its just over year since Daisy's first season and still no sign of her second :blink: xxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 07:33:58 AM »
Don't worry Suzysu, I'm sure your girl will come on soon too.
You have no way of knowing when she is due however, only having had one season. Makes it a bit trickier.
Skye's breeder has told me her half sister has just come on two months late, and she is blaming the strange winter weather we are having. Sunny and 20 degrees one day, and snowing the next.
There is no way Skye is brewing anything. Too healthy and bouncy :)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Skipping Seasons
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 07:27:01 AM »
Well she finally came on heat, one month late, and is going off next week to be mated. I think we are blaming the funny winter we are having down here in Australia.
Is that why we call them seasons? Because they seem to tie in with the climactic seasons?
I don't know, but anyway, we are excited :D  She is fit, healthy and ready for you know what! (I think she is excited too)