Author Topic: Feeding raw chicken bones  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Southeastsal

Feeding raw chicken bones
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
Hi. what are your thoughts on giving raw chicken carcasses, thighs/legs ?  This was recommended by a breeder but I have always been a bit wary of raw chicken because of the bones. I was assured it was ok . Does anyone else do this ?

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Feeding raw chicken bones
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Hi

Never feed cooked bones but lots of people feed certain Raw bones. Make sure you supervise when eating and ensure you are able to take away from your dog if needed.

You will find there are a few raw feeders on here or others that do feed their dogs other food but include raw chicken wings etc.
I feed Reese on a complete raw but he does also get things such as chicken wings, turkey necks or lamb ribs etc it took me a ehile to build up to trying him with a bone  but he does eat them sensibly.
I would really suggest you research if you are thinking about feeding this way, the most important thing is to offer a dog a balanced diet which is something he will not get from just raw meat and bone. You will need to be aware of the risks of bacteria and ensure you follow good food guidelines with storing and handling the food.
This is always a controversial subject and will have plenty of for's and against, so it's best to make up your own mind and feed what you are comfortable with.
I do believe in raw feeding as a good way to feed a species appropriate diet, but only feel that way after lots of research and how I feel my dog is health wise and that's only my opinion!  :D
There are lots of other opinion's and good ways to feed dogs.

http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/feeding-bones-safely/

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
I feed raw chicken wings which I chop in half at the joint (only because I've heard of them being bolted down and getting stuck) and I think the rest of the carcase is ok but I don't feed the thigh bones as apparantly they are  tougher and can splinter.
I'm not quite sure how correct my information is here but, as far as I am aware, the gastric acids of dogs who are raw fed are stronger than those not fed raw and they are better able to digest the bone, so I think it might depend on what your dog is fed normally. If you can get a minced carcase you could perhaps try a small amount and see how it goes but I'd stay clear of the legs.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »
My two get chicken wings twice a week and have done for five years without any problem.
If you have a gobbler like Bramble, I hold on to them so she doesn't swallow them whole (mind your fingers though) When she has eaten them quickly she does sometimes bring them back up.
I'm sure I read somewhere that every part of a chicken can be eaten but I've never tried it.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
Raw bones are absolutely fine to feed as long as you take the necessary precautions.  A lot of us feed a raw diet and chicken wings and carcasses are often part of that.  I don't feed weight bearing bones as they can be harder and more prone to splinter, but wings, necks, carcasses and ribs can be fed.

If you are worried about gobbling, you can bash the bones with a rolling pin before feeding or hold on to the wing tip to ensure your dog doesn't swallow it in one go  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
I feed raw bones, inc chicken wings, carcasses & necks as well as duck necks. I feed Nutriment which is a prepared raw food which contains ground bone. A couple of times a week they get bones of some description. As already said avoid weight bearing bones.

If you're a bit wary hold on to it while they eat it, one of my pups once swallowed something with hardly chewing it & gave me kittens! Now they eat it just fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
gemma has chicken wings (raw). I hold onto the wing tip (wrapped in kitchen roll for good grip) while she chomps away. When she gets to my fingers I take it off her.  i do believe that she would bolt and swallow the wing if i did not have hold.
Luckily Gemma is good on the leave command hence i still have 5 fingers but she is getting closer and testing my reflexes  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----