Author Topic: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
My daughter feeds all of hers on skinners (oldest one 14 and still cocker crazy!).  She buys if from farm shops in sacks as I think the VAT is different x

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi I've looked into the skinners however there is too much variety I wouldn't know where to start. I've ordered a 15kg bag of csj fit n fast for £22 that sounds reasonable to me.

Offline ips

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
Hi I've looked into the skinners however there is too much variety I wouldn't know where to start. I've ordered a 15kg bag of csj fit n fast for £22 that sounds reasonable to me.

Its a minefield isn't it. Protein and additives and percentage this and that. Gives me a bloomin headache 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
Just keep things simple that's what I say. There must be about 10 different varieties of skinners. It's just too confusing I could end up trying all of them and none will be suitable. I've decided because marley has been on grain free for a year now. i don't want to buy the cheapest food if I can afford something a bit better. Mam said I should have kept him on bakers I told her it's not good. Hopefully he will do well on the salmon flavour csj fit n fast it's not quite as rich as the food he's getting now meat wise.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
That sounds good value!  :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
I fed my guys on Skinners salmon and potato before switching to raw.

Pearl cannot tolerate more than 30% protein but needs more than 21% - Coral is loopy on anything over 17% and a lot depends on the type of protein.  Often the dried foods are % meat and the rest of the protein is from grains. 

Both dogs were fine on the skinners (Coral was nuts but that may also have been her age).  Pearl can and does work a full day on Kibble but I noticed their coats were not as shiny when not raw fed.  Made a huge mistake and bought Arden Grange.....it's really good quality but just wrong for my two!

Where dog food is concerned I always think it's best to choose what's right for your dog, it's lifestyle (and yours) and your budget.  Working dog food is VAT exempt so will always be better value.

Offline ips

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
Only just found out that Arden grange performance is only 18% which doesn't sound much to me

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
I was talking to the vet who was trying to persuade me that Logan should have Royal Canin prescription diet which was a waste of time as he's never having that! During the conversation she told me that many sensitive foods main ingredients are feathers! That was a new one on me! Apparently it's used because dogs haven't been exposed to them so don't have a sensitivity to. I did ask where on earth the nutrition came from which is apparently added to in other things. I think this argument was supposed to convince me to make the change! Not happening!

My first Cocker had dreadful tummy, it's a lot of years ago & there wasn't the wide range of food there is now. I'd tried most of what was available without success when someone suggested Chappie, I balked at that idea at first but I got desperate & tried it in the end & his poo returned to normal. Every day that I fed him it I grumbled to myself, went against everything I believed in. Every now and again when new things came on the market I tried him on it but always had to go back to Chappie. Perhaps what he needed was a food made out of feathers! [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
During the conversation she told me that many sensitive foods main ingredients are feathers! That was a new one on me!

Are the feathers supposed to tickle their tastebuds then? :lol2:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »
During the conversation she told me that many sensitive foods main ingredients are feathers! That was a new one on me!

Are the feathers supposed to tickle their tastebuds then? [emoji38]2:
[emoji23][emoji23]

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
Just a quick update on marleys food and poo progress. I have been introducing Marley to his new csj fit n fast over the past 3 days. He's still on some of his old food but by tomorrow he should be just eating his new food. So far so good. His poo is now firm enough to pick up and he hasn't pooed as much today. No scooting for two days. I've also started to feed him a carrot a day which have made a huge difference. He loves them. Hopefully I've sorted the problem.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Just a quick update on marleys food and poo progress. I have been introducing Marley to his new csj fit n fast over the past 3 days. He's still on some of his old food but by tomorrow he should be just eating his new food. So far so good. His poo is now firm enough to pick up and he hasn't pooed as much today. No scooting for two days. I've also started to feed him a carrot a day which have made a huge difference. He loves them. Hopefully I've sorted the problem.
Good news so far - thanks for the update.  I also feed mine a chicken wing or duck neck once a week - helped to resolve an anal gland issue one of them had.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
That's cool emilyoliver. Marley loves chicken and duck. I'm going to feed him trout once a week as an occasional treat. He loves fish. I've binned the denti stix and the dog biscuits. I've also told my mother when she comes to visit not to give him any dog bones or biscuits she has a tendency to sneak him one when I'm not looking or not around.

Offline ips

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
That's cool emilyoliver. Marley loves chicken and duck. I'm going to feed him trout once a week as an occasional treat. He loves fish. I've binned the denti stix and the dog biscuits. I've also told my mother when she comes to visit not to give him any dog bones or biscuits she has a tendency to sneak him one when I'm not looking or not around.

Can you have a word with my old mum as well 😁

She thinks I don't know when she sneakily gives her a biscuit or scraps 😊

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
That's great news! So pleased to hear he's improving already , that's quick work. Getting rid of the Dentastix is good too, so many treats have all sorts of rubbish in them.