Author Topic: At what age can you tell your puppies temperament?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline bluey

At what age can you tell your puppies temperament?
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
When do you think you have a good idea what your pup's personality will be?
Daisy is 10 weeks old now and so far she is a confident happy puppy who hasn't been fazed at all by anything, (People of all ages coming and going, car rides, vets, hoover etc etc). She isn't dominant in any way and is extremely cuddly and affectionate  :luv: I would describe her has 'steady', playful and happy but not hyper at all. She's not really a cockerdile either. She is very gentle mouthed, unless we are doing a little training and she is trying to get the treat lol, (Working on that)!  Is it too early to tell? It this the lul before the storm as she is still finding her feet with us?  :lol2:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: At what age can you tell your puppies temperament?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
I don't know if she officially counts as a rescue, but I have heard there is a 2-3 week 'honeymoon' period when a rescue first comes home.

Having said that, I'd say the fundamentals of Henry's personality were fairly evident from a very early age. They may have been harder to see during the adolescent period, but he's always been himself, I think.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:56:30 PM »
I agree there, I don't think Humphrey's come up with any great surprises in that respect, he was always pretty laid back and adaptable from the word go and so looking back,  at least in our case, I would say yes, his character was evident at 10 weeks.
So glad Daisy's settling in so well!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »
When do you think you have a good idea what your pup's personality will be?
Daisy is 10 weeks old now and so far she is a confident happy puppy who hasn't been fazed at all by anything, (People of all ages coming and going, car rides, vets, hoover etc etc). She isn't dominant in any way and is extremely cuddly and affectionate  :luv: I would describe her has 'steady', playful and happy but not hyper at all. She's not really a cockerdile either. She is very gentle mouthed, unless we are doing a little training and she is trying to get the treat lol, (Working on that)!  Is it too early to tell? It this the lul before the storm as she is still finding her feet with us?  :lol2:

Daisy sounds very much like my William at the same age, and you'll be pleased to hear that at 13 years old he's still much the same. He's lost a bit of confidence since he lost his hearing and is also more likely to bark now than before he became deaf. But his overall character has been the same throughout his life.

The lady who bred him was living in one of a row of three farm cottages being renovated into one property by her builder husband. So the pups were used to all sorts of noises, had met everyone from builders to small children and were totally unfazed by everything. Their mum was a bit of an excitable, busy girl, but dad was a confident and calm type. William has his looks and temperament from his dad and his general unflappability from his upbringing.

I'm sure Daisy will have her moments, but it sounds like you have a lovely girl and if you work at keeping her confident and steady I'm sure she'll remain like that.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
I think you may find that the cockerdile stage has yet to come!  ;)  Alfie was a few weeks older before he entered that stage!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
Teal was much the same LOL who am I kidding
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
Sounds like you have got yourselves a treasure