Author Topic: I need urgent advice please  (Read 2136 times)

Offline hoover

Re: I need urgent advice please
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
I've been reading about this more recently, as I was saddened to see one of the Victoria Stilwell shows 'it's me or the dog' which featured a black cocker Benji (the spit of my boy and a similar albeit more extreme history  :'() put to sleep because of aggression which seemed to be resource based, at least initially. 

Apparently the dog psychologist who came up with the term 'cocker rage' associated it with resource aggression...see following link:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail-weekend-magazine/20061111/281638185705789

Now I don't know the ins or outs of it, or how meaningful, appropriate or accurate the term 'cocker rage' is, but it is interesting to see that the person who coined it apparently associated it with resource aggression rather that a completely inexplicable neurological disorder. 

Offline ips

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:46 AM »
I've been reading about this more recently, as I was saddened to see one of the Victoria Stilwell shows 'it's me or the dog' which featured a black cocker Benji (the spit of my boy and a similar albeit more extreme history  :'() put to sleep because of aggression which seemed to be resource based, at least initially. 

Apparently the dog psychologist who came up with the term 'cocker rage' associated it with resource aggression...see following link:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail-weekend-magazine/20061111/281638185705789

Now I don't know the ins or outs of it, or how meaningful, appropriate or accurate the term 'cocker rage' is, but it is interesting to see that the person who coined it apparently associated it with resource aggression rather that a completely inexplicable neurological disorder.

The way I understand it is that rage syndrome is like epilepsy and has no trigger per se. It has nothing to do with a behavioural issue such as resource guarding. That is how I understand it. My eze used to go off on one daily when she was six to twelve months and at one time I was concerned about rage but I now know it was just young cocker syndrome. I wonder how many miss diagnosis there have been over the years ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline hoover

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
Yes I wonder.  Especially about the age issue as my dog has certainly improved massively I think and hope, but if he was seen at the age of about 10 months and someone thought that was going to be a thing for the rest of his life I can well imagine a similar recommendation would have been made for him.

I can see from further reading now that this guy who supposedly coined the term cocker rage is a controversial figure anyway but it did worry me that his description of rage was identical to the early experiences of Ollie.

Offline ips

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
My one would run around the house at hundred miles an hour banging into things skidding on kitchen floor. We had to physically restrain her and she had, well lost her mind really. Then at twelve months these incidents started to fade and I don't recall any of this behaviour since she was about two. Hyper activity like you sometimes see in children is how I see it. During these mad ones she never showed any real aggression though.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I too am a bit concerned at the constant mention of "cocker rage". Rage syndrome (as I understand it,) is a neurological condition that can affect any breed of dog. It can't be cured. It certainly seems that the term is being wrongly used and being attributed to behavioural problems. I read a lot about true rage syndrome when Archie's guarding was at its worst and was relieved to realise that it really didn't fit with his behaviour. I also seem to remember that one of the members here (Top Barks??) did a study on the relationship between coat colour and behaviour and found no link.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
My one would run around the house at hundred miles an hour banging into things skidding on kitchen floor. We had to physically restrain her and she had, well lost her mind really. Then at twelve months these incidents started to fade and I don't recall any of this behaviour since she was about two. Hyper activity like you sometimes see in children is how I see it. During these mad ones she never showed any real aggression though.

Zoomies.  ;) Completely normal cocker behaviour!  :005: Absolutely nothing to worry about there.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »

Out of interest, why did you restrain her? We used to just step out of the way and let Henry have at it when he had the zoomies. He still gets them after his bath - we make sure he has unfettered access from the bathroom to the garden and let him rocket out.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
LG
She was totally out of it and we were concerned she would hurt herself. I haven't seen other dogs in this state so cant compare the severity

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
LG
She was totally out of it and we were concerned she would hurt herself. I haven't seen other dogs in this state so cant compare the severity

I think they all have that 'out of body' thing going on when they have the zoomies. Henry would look completely manic, white of his eyes showing, and you couldn't catch him for love nor money. I googled it and decided what I was seeing was quite normal and just left him to it.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
LG

I think they all have that 'out of body' thing going on when they have the zoomies. Henry would look completely manic, white of his eyes showing, and you couldn't catch him for love nor money. I googled it and decided what I was seeing was quite normal and just left him to it.

We've had a little frenchie, same age as Humphrey, staying here over the weekend and  she's had a couple of zoomie episodes, I thought cockers were fast but OMG, she's like a little bullet!! Definately not just a cocker thing it seems!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
most breeds of dogs do the zoomies especially younger dogs, its a happy/excitement thing also thought to be a way to initiate play, its a good to be alive action. Kids do the same thing running around when happy/ excited 
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly