Author Topic: Squirrel on crack mark 2....  (Read 2448 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Squirrel on crack mark 2....
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
So glad to hear my diary helped! We still have pretty good loose leash walking but Henry does still dive off to the side to sniff things, mostly at the beginning of the walk. I have to remind myself how far we've come.

Another great tip I've recently discovered relates to creating a Reinforcement Zone where everything good happens. You make the zone the side of your leg, right on the seam of your trousers. You can actively reinforce this by getting the dog in position and feeding treats. But you can also reinforce it every time you interact with them while you are standing. So give toys from that side, with dog beside. Give cuddles from there too. And when walking, to avoid the dog getting into the habit of yo-yoing forwards and back for a treat, forwards, back for a treat, etc. - try walking backwards for a while, so the dog is always moving towards you. When he catches up, spin around to face forwards, getting the dog in the correct position, and reward for being in the 'zone'. It's great for getting to where you want to go, as they wonder what the heck you are up to and keep walking towards you.

That  good advice, we've been working on this aswell recently and I've  been told to treat with the same hand as I hold the lead with (left) i.e. the side that Humphrey's walking. We also have the diving and straining for the first few minutes of every walk but although I continue to attempt to correct it, I've become more tolerant as I know he will calm down.
I know the physical repositioning of the dog does seem to work for some but I don't do it as I think the dog needs to work it out for himself, if that makes sense?

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
Hi,
I can't give a lot of advice as I'm fairly new to cocker parenting aswell however our dog trainer has taught us from day one to 'stroke the lead' the minute pup tries to drag us or pulls or disengages with listening to us. Sounds bizzarre, looks weird to passers by who think we are just caressing the dogs lead but it really work.

The basics of it are, whenever Leo pulls or decides he wants to go somewhere different to us etc we stop walking, place two hands on his lead and stroke with one hand at a time in the direction away from the dog. It's difficult to explain, but eventually (it sometimes takes ages) you want pup to turn to look at you, make eye contact and then continue to walk.
We have good days and bad days, new places and times where he is being walked by more than one person is still a bit of a challenge but on his every day walk he is an absolute dream. We also obviously use positive reinforcement when he's doing the right thing . This used to be click and treat every 100 yards or so but now it's just a verbal reward.

Hope that helps a little

Offline ips

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »
Hi,
I can't give a lot of advice as I'm fairly new to cocker parenting aswell however our dog trainer has taught us from day one to 'stroke the lead' the minute pup tries to drag us or pulls or disengages with listening to us. Sounds bizzarre, looks weird to passers by who think we are just caressing the dogs lead but it really work.

The basics of it are, whenever Leo pulls or decides he wants to go somewhere different to us etc we stop walking, place two hands on his lead and stroke with one hand at a time in the direction away from the dog. It's difficult to explain, but eventually (it sometimes takes ages) you want pup to turn to look at you, make eye contact and then continue to walk.
We have good days and bad days, new places and times where he is being walked by more than one person is still a bit of a challenge but on his every day walk he is an absolute dream. We also obviously use positive reinforcement when he's doing the right thing . This used to be click and treat every 100 yards or so but now it's just a verbal reward.

Hope that helps a little

Stroke the lead, forgive me I don't understand ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
We have the same issues too! Oscar is nearly two, we did all the puppy school training, practised recall in quiet places/busy places. Took him to the town centre to get use to being around lots of people. We had a trainer lady come to our house for 121 sessions, although his walking improved slightly with the twisting around in a different direction every time he pulled, we use the clicker to train him at home (which he loves and is quite good) as soon as we are outside - he literally forgets everything.

Recently Oscar has gotten into the habit on a road walk of refusing to move unless he is going somewhere HE wants to go, will fall to the ground and start rolling around on the floor and then start barking  >:( very frustrating when you try so hard and you see other people walking with other dogs and make it look effortless. People we meet in the park who have had spaniels say he will grow out of it.... I'm not convinced! But he is such a sweet little dog despite all the above!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Squirrel on crack mark 2.... ,
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
We have the same issues too! Oscar is nearly two, we did all the puppy school training, practised recall in quiet places/busy places. Took him to the town centre to get use to being around lots of people. We had a trainer lady come to our house for 121 sessions, although his walking improved slightly with the twisting around in a different direction every time he pulled, we use the clicker to train him at home (which he loves and is quite good) as soon as we are outside - he literally forgets everything.

Recently Oscar has gotten into the habit on a road walk of refusing to move unless he is going somewhere HE wants to go, will fall to the ground and start rolling around on the floor and then start barking  >:(very frustrating when you try so hard and you see other people walking with other dogs and make it look effortless. People we meet in the park who have had spaniels say he will grow out of it.... I'm not convinced! But he is such a sweet little dog despite all the above!

I'm not convinced Humphrey'll  ever walk in the way we hoomans term "perfect" either and at times it can be very frustrating but then I think the dogs I see walking calmly next to their owners might be devils at home, - maybe they bark, bite, are agressive to other dogs, annoy the neighbours, can't be left alone or are so  blinkin' perfect they're just plain boring!! Lets be thankful that our little cocker monsters have a zest for life and are the way they are. I wake up most morning with pains in my hands and shoulders  >:( but then I go downstairs and get smothered in licks and I can forgive him anything! !!! :luv:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »
Do you know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Yes Henry can be a complete pain when we are out, but he is a delight at home, we have almost no issues (apart from a bit of barking in the garden, because squirrels, birds, clouds...). I doubt any dog is 'perfect', despite appearances. And yes, I do sometimes look at well-behaved plodding dogs and wonder where their personality is.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
This is true and a great way too look at it!! They are little fluffy bundles of joy to be around and BizzyLizzy, you are right, they do give the best kisses  :luv:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
Hi IPS,
Yes sorry, the 'stroke the lead' isn't particularly easy to explain. I've always found it weird but it does work.
The concept of it is, us (the owner), LITERALLY stroking the lead whenever pup pulls. So we stop walking, place two hands on the lead and stroke backwards one hand at a time, The sensation of the lead being stroked leads the dog to curiosity and, in turn, to turn around and look at us.
In return, pup gets a click treat reward and is allowed to walk on.

As I say, its a completely weird concept but totally works, Leo will often now not need the lead stroked, when we stop he will make eye contact immediately, however if there is something more interesting such as another dog, he takes a little longer to respond.
Leo basically never gets to pull us in the direction that he wants to go, we've had times where we are stroking the lead and Leo is up on his hind legs, crying at what he wants to reach but will always, eventually respond to the lead stroke.

As for the other recent posts... I FULLY agree. In my life, Leo has been a complete nightmare at home but is generally always pretty good outside of home. I would have him being a pulling devil over attacking me at home anyday!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 10:57:50 AM »
It sounds like the lead-stroking is a positive interrupter with the advantage of being likely to get the dog to turn back towards you. It makes the action more like the dog's choice than you cueing a behaviour. So you are getting the behaviour you want to be able to reward without obviously directing the dog.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
I would agree with that Londongirl!
I guess I've never really worked out why it works, but in essence I am encouraging a behaviour that I don't have to physically put a cue to.. So my stubborn little lad doesn't choose to ignore it often as he doesn't really realise he's doing that.
Saying that, he defiantly makes an effort to walk nicely more often than not, staring up at me while he walks beside me for some approval etc.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
I've just found this. Its apparantly connected to the TTip method of calming dogs, looks interesting!....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4iJTTXy0-U

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
Hi bizzylizzy, that's exactly what I was (badly) attempting to explain, thank you :)
Works very well either when Leo is pulling and/or decides to bolt himself to the floor.
It is obviously reactive to the behaviour you don't want to see but I've found using it alongside lots of postivie reinforcement when he is walking nicely has been a real winner

Offline ips

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Um, strange concept. Not knocking it you understand and if it works for folk then off you go 👍

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »
Um, strange concept. Not knocking it you understand and if it works for folk then off you go 👍

Did you watch the video bizzylizzy posted? Very interesting in how it negates the opposition reflex.

Offline ips

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »
Yes I watched it, its a new one on me 👍