Author Topic: A wee problem!  (Read 597 times)

Offline karenl

• Amber
A wee problem!
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
Haven't posted for some time but thought I would see if cockers online members can help
With a little problem we seem to have now with our dog amber.
She is eight years old and every now and again she is weeing on the floor she can be laying down or walking around and just seems to "go".
I may add that this is most out of character for amber who was fully house trained after two weeks of having her at nine weeks old ,has anyone had the same problem ?

Offline lescef

Re: A wee problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
Oh dear. Maybe a check with the vet is needed in case it is an infection.
Has she been spayed?  Spayed dogs can develop a loss of control and expel a bit of urine and not realise. It's treated with a liquid that you add to their food. Sadly, it's a permanent problem but kept under control with the medication. Our previous cocker developed it. One of the disadvantages of spaying! (Sorry I don't know all the technical terms!)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »
Thank you for your reply,she had a water infection back in July after she came out of kennels
While we were away but that cleared up, she isn't showing the same signs like licking herself so not convinced it's an infection this time .
I had wondered if it was just her age ? And yes she was spayed when she was one year old ,
I think we will have to get her checked out at the vets anyway and if she needs medication that would help her that would suit us !

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:31:11 AM »
Hi, this could be struvite crystals?  they are tiny crystals that appear in the bladder they irritate the bladder thus the weeing!  It is a common problem with cockers and can be treated with special food to dissolve the crystals. Ask your vet to check for these with a simple urine test  :D it has to be spun in a lab to seperate the crystal from the urine. Or it could be just a bit of incontinence due to her being spayed? also easliy treated with tablets x x x 

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
Best to check with the vet, bring a fresh urine sample so they can check for infection or crystals :) It could be a result of spaying too. My girl recently had a dental cleaning and in the hours after waking from the anaesthesia she was leaking so much I had to put a diaper on her (she didn't mind, tail still wagging through the hole I cut for it). Vet said this is typical for spayed dogs and that she could treat it if it starts becoming a problem now that she is older :) Luckily it was just because she was groggy from the sedation, but if she does start having incontinence problems I find it reassuring to know it can be treated medically :)

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
Thank you for your replies ,I think a trip to the vet is needed !

Offline chien

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Thank you for your replies ,I think a trip to the vet is needed !

Hopefully it's something small please let us know what the result was

All the best