Author Topic: New puppy with older dog  (Read 737 times)

Offline hnnhncklss

New puppy with older dog
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:09:11 AM »
Hi everyone!

We brought home Oscar last Sunday and he will be 10 weeks old this coming Sunday. We also have a 10 year old Cocker, Benji, who's very flexible and usually happy to sleep until we wake up at around 8am. Benji has basically ignored Oscar since we brought him home and moves away from him when Oscar walks up to him.

Oscar's toilet training is going well with only a few accidents in the house during the day, he usually tells us if he wants to go. At night Oscar sleeps in the living room in a crate within a play pen with a puppy pad. Benji sleeps at the bottom of the stairs in the hallway with the door closed so they're separated and do not disturb each other during the night.

We usually go to bed at 10pm. Oscar's last feed is 7pm but he'll have treats during a small training session after this. Oscar's currently starting to stir at 5:30 which will start with whimpering then after a minute or two he settles back down. However this is waking Benji up who starts crying aswell which then triggers Oscar to go into full barking/howling mode and then they don't stop.

I've tried letting Oscar out to just go to the toilet but he gets so excited when he sees Benji that he won't settle down in his crate afterwards. I end up sitting downstairs with them both trying to be as boring as possible but by this time Oscar is fully awake.

Is there anything that I can be doing to improve this situation? I've had a week off work to help him settle in and start training but I'm worried about what's going to happen when I go back to work on Monday. Or is this something that will get better as Oscar gets older?

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Re: New puppy with older dog
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
Welcome!  We took the plunge and added a new one, Snoopy with our 3 year old, Benji, 4 weeks ago too.   There have been similar problems with our two but the other way round   :lol2: Could you possibly let Oscar out without Benji at 5.30am?  If you say that Benji didn't wake up until 8am before Oscar came along, then you can put Oscar back in his crate and go back to bed until you've got to go to work.  Not ideal I know.  Hopefully others will be able to help on this forum. 

Good luck with Oscar hope you're getting lots of puppy hugs! 

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: New puppy with older dog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
Is the problem that you and Oscar have to walk past Benji to go out for the toilet? Could you move Oscar's sleeping place to near the back door?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)