Author Topic: Any recommendations for More Than Pet Insurance?  (Read 9226 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Any recommendations for More Than Pet Insurance?
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
Coming up to renewal time and I thought I'd shop around. More Than Pet Insurance comes up well on satisfaction surveys so I've got a quote from them.

Insuring both Henry and my ten year-old cat was costing me £780 a year with Sainsbury's. More Than have quoted £493 for both, with a 25% introductory discount. So the equivalent for comparison would be £657.

The cover is equal to or better than what I have now, and is a lifetime cover. I do get double Nectar points every time I shop at Sainsbury's, but I can't believe they are worth £120 plus a year to me.

Any thoughts?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Re: Any recommendations for More Than Pet Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »
Ours are all with More Than so we get a multiple pet discount.  We've never had any problems when claiming and they've happily paid out to cover our oldest labs hydrotherapy etc...
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
Ive got both mine with More Than and have never had any problems with them paying out.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
I had no problems with claiming through More Than, the only time I did have a issue was on this years renewal for Bea as they wanted £1000.00 which was more than double the previouse year.

Bea's claims since 2015 where around £7500.00 so after I got over the shock ( & changed insurer ) I'm not surprised.

Have you looked at https://boughtbymany.com ?

Sharon.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
I was with Sainsbury too.  I have had both my girls insured with them since they were 9 weeks old.
Now that they are 10 the premiums shot up to over £100 per month for both of them  I too looked around but as officially oldies now, there  were few companies willing to insure them so I didn't have much of a choice.  More Than were cheaper than Sainsburys at £63 per month with the same benefits so I changed to them too.  I haven't had cause to claim yet though but have heard good reviews of the company.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
I was with Sainsbury too.  I have had both my girls insured with them since they were 9 weeks old.
Now that they are 10 the premiums shot up to over £100 per month for both of them  I too looked around but as officially oldies now, there  were few companies willing to insure them so I didn't have much of a choice.  More Than were cheaper than Sainsburys at £63 per month with the same benefits so I changed to them too.  I haven't had cause to claim yet though but have heard good reviews of the company.

That sounds familiar - my cat turned 10 this summer and her premium with Sainsbury's shot up. The multiplet deal with More Than does seem to be good value.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »

Have you looked at https://boughtbymany.com ?

Sharon.

Just did and it was more than More Than ( ;)), even after taking off the introductory offer.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
I'm been with More Than (lifetime cover) since I brought Jack home as a l'il pupster (Feb 2015).  They weren't the cheapest but ISTR that after much mind-numbing research on t'internet they offered the cover I wanted at a price I thought was fair.  Thankfully, never had to claim (touch wood) but renewal this year went up a fiver (cheeky monkeys)!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. OH blanched at the idea that we are paying the same amount each month to insure MY scruffy  ten year-old moggie and HIS handsome two year-old Spaniel.  ;)

Switching to a joint policy with More Than definitely makes financial sense and it's good to hear people have (mostly) had good experiences with them.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
You just have to remember next year price will increase dramatically, even more than the 25% introductory discount!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
You just have to remember next year price will increase dramatically, even more than the 25% introductory discount!

At which point I guess I'll shop around again!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
I am with them for 2 of my dogs and 4 cats and have claimed for one dog who is now about 13 - while the amount did seem to hike up I felt after the shock I was still getting a good deal (amount I pay in insurance I would have to pay same for her current meds any way which the insurance pays for anyway). I have had many claims for Lady and they are very good plus I have 12,000 worth of treatment per year if need be and for that I pay 10% (a voluntary option I took out when I 1st bought a premium with them and even when they are over 10y old its still just 10% and no other excess other than once a year - unlike petplan and some others where its an excess for every new condition and an excess of at least 20%) - it means peace of mind. 
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »
Update - I let More Than's follow-up calls go to voicemail for a week or so, then spoke to them today. Got a further discount for having my home insurance with them. For this year I'm now paying £411.52 a month for both Henry and Sugar the senior cat. That compares with £780 on my previous policy, like-for-like lifetime cover.

I know it will go up again next year, but for a saving of that much, worth shopping around!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
Beware the hikes though with MoreThan - Lady is now 13 and they hiked hers up 120% this year.

They aso did something bizarre with Molly's - she has the premium policy and as I didn't claim at all this year (it was the 1st year of her policy as Ive only had her a year anyway) they changed the T&Cs now we're paying per condition instead of the way they have done in the past - she actually said it benefits me this way but if Molly has more than 1 condition now the excess will be 100% more each time I have a new condition instead of a one-off per year regardless of condition.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »

At which point I guess I'll shop around again!

Well, their premium didn't go up in the second year, it went DOWN.

We've just had a huge stack of vets bills for the cat. Approaching £900. Once the vet had done their paperwork and the insurers logged her condition (kidney disease), it's all put up online. When I have a new bill for that condition, I scan it and upload it to their online claims portal. I did this on Friday and got paid into my bank account in 15 minutes.

Thoroughly recommended so far.