Author Topic: Puppy Schedule, how long to crate for?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline clarel0509

Puppy Schedule, how long to crate for?
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »
Hi

Skye is a 10 week WC. We're on day 6 of having her home, so early days!

She's been great so far. Getting the hang of pottying outside, crated at night, with no whining and up 1-2 times through the night to potty. My hubby gets up at 6, takes her out, she has a run around, breakfast at 7, out for potty, has a play then in a pen whilst I do the school run. Repeat throughout the day. When in her pen she tends to go into her bed and has a sleep but maybe not for longer than 30-40 mins at a time. I've not been using the crate during the day only the play pen.

She plays well for 15 mins then can get nippy and starts biting at ankles, she's got me and hubby quite badly a couple of times.

I'm wondering if she's not getting enough sleep through the day. I had a look for puppy Schedule at found this (see photo) Should I be crating her during the day to get more down time? I was surprised it recommends 2-3 hours at a time. I work from home so I'm here most of the day other than popping out for school drop off and pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Puppy Schedule, how long to crate for?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »
When Henry was little he had a variety of nap lengths but definitely had a least one of 2-3 hours, normally in the middle of the day. He’d have an hour after breakfast, the long nap after lunch then one or two further naps of 45 mins to an hour.

15 minutes of playing or cuddling before getting nippy sounds normal! Have you tried popping a soft toy in your pup’s mouth when she nips? It can really help extend play and cuddle time and help her learn self-control. If she wants the interaction to continue, she’ll work on holding the toy instead of nipping.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »
I can't help much as i am still learning with my pup however, as i have learnt from Londongirl and many others on here, sleep is SO important to pups. We never enforced sleep and down time when our pup was young like yours and he threw up some very challenging behaviours, all related to being overtired.
We don't crate our pup but ever hour/90mins when we are home he goes behind a stair gate for a chill and a sleep. 99% of the time he falls straight asleep and these naps will last anything from 30 minutes- 2 hours.
without this sleep time he just turns into a little devil and we can tell that he is telling us he is tired.

The only thing i would say is if your little one is happily going in to crate or playpen without too much fuss, likelihood is she is grateful for the time to chill... but don't let her fool you if she has a tantrum about being in there. Leo sometimes cries whilst yawning and lying down with his eyes closed just to make us feel awful (normally when there's food about!)

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
Sleep is so important. Micah is 16 weeks now and early on I worked out the impact of lack of sleep on his behaviour. I'd definitely crate her when you want her to rest properly, I used a pen early on for when I just wanted to pop out the room etc until he shredded it that was! He would never rest properly in the pen just snooze & be up & down like a yo-yo.
Micah's crated in the hall away from what's going on so he can get plenty of rest.

I'd say 2 to 3 hours is about right at a time. The longest you want to leave a pup crated is 4 hours. Using a crate in this way also teaches a pup about how to settle down & be on their own which is an invaluable lesson.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby