Author Topic: When (and if ) you should change to 2 meals a day.?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Southeastsal

When (and if ) you should change to 2 meals a day.?
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »
Hi, when should we change 2 meals a day and why, is it essential. At the moment Alfie is 4.5 months old and loves his food. He was bolting it but have bought one of the special bowls to slow him down and it works a treat. The other thing is which meal is cut out ? Your comments appreciated.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: When (and if ) you should change to 2 meals a day.?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:15:33 AM »
I think most people do cut them down, to two per day but all mine at ages 4 years,3 years, and 19 months are still on 3 meals, and will likely stay that way now. I find smaller meals and more often suit mine, so they have breakfast, dinner and tea and a biscuit or two at bedtime to stop any nighttime hunger pangs.

Don't think there is anything written in stone that you have to feed only two meals, I guess most folk find either their dogs prefer it that way, or it is more convenient.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
We cut meals to twice a day at about 12 months. 8-30 am and 4-30 pm then a carrot and or biscuit in the evening but as has been said I don't think there is a hard rule.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
We never changed to two meals a day, Harry eats so fast we just do three small meals plus snacks in between,  elevenses are a must and a bedtime biscuit as well ! Harry is a nice weight and jst eats little and often which he likes  :D only downside to feeding this way is that a typical cocker starts asking for their snack or meal at least half an hour before its due so he barely finishes breakfast and he is gearing up to remind us its time for elevenses !!!

Don't think there are hard and fast rules its what suits your lifestyle and cocker

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
We changed to 2 meals a day probably about 6-8 months old. Don’t know why but probably following the crowd. We feed about 8am depending on when we get up and 6pm. Milo doesn’t get fed straight away when we get up and he’s pretty chilled but he certainly knows when 6pm is approaching lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:24 PM »
I tried to cut down to a morning meal and an evening meal, however he seems to get really hungry so I do give him a smaller lunch. I think he gets hungry due to the vast amounts of walking we do.

He also gets the odd treat throughout the day.

Mine is 12 months old

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Not much to add really, as long as  they get the right amount per day, I don't think it matters  over how many meals its divided. Generally speaking, I've found two or three meals are better than one big one, Humphrey gets a smallish breakfast after his morning walk, about 9 am and supper after his 2nd walk, around 6, but do what suits you and your dog best ;)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
Bea has 3 smaller meals a day, she's prone to pancreatitis so the less work for her Pancreas the better  :D

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »
Humbug has 3 meals a day and is 7 and a half. The lunch is kibble. He's not keen on it but eats it if hungry only
Aside from that he'd like a meal every hour or two. Or at least snacks. And if I dare eat and don't have a treat for him?  ph34r I've been trained well.  :005:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
I didnt consciously reduce her meals, she kind of did it herself as she didnt seem interested in her lunchtime meal at about age 2 or 3.  She is now 6 and on 2 meals per day.