Author Topic: Smelly Max  (Read 541 times)

Offline Deja_14

Smelly Max
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Max is now 3 and an amazing companion! He is literally my fur baby. He is such a good dog, but the past year he has developed a smell on and off, it will last a week or so then disappear for a few weeks and so on. It seems to be from his mouth, but his breath doesn't smell of the smell, it's doggy breath but 'normal', it's when he dribbles, he also gets it on the bottom of his ears when they get wet etc. He has dental sticks in the morning and we bathe him but the smell will still linger... The only way I can describe the smell is a vomit type smell.

We took him to the vets who said it could be acid reflux as it was from the mouth and I described it as smelling of 'vomit'. The vet checked him over, checked his teeth but typically when we went she couldn't smell anything! We tried some medication which didn't seem to help, but as I said it does come and go. It seems to be better when he is groomed but he is never that hairy so we find this odd - could be just because he has been professionally bathed. He was groomed a month ago and the smell has appeared.

He is on the same food he has been on for most of his life, the only change was we run out of biscuit and had to use a own brand biscuit, but this was for a couple of days then back to his normal food.

Wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar or might have a guess as to what it is? Otherwise it is another trip to the vets :(