Author Topic: EYE DROPS  (Read 938 times)

Offline Vilya

• Site Member
    • http://
EYE DROPS
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:29:15 AM »
It is quite some time since I posted on here but I have just adopted a beautiful cocker spaniel who has been rescued from an awful life as a breeding bitch on a puppy farm.  My problem is that she needs eye drops twice daily for what I am told is dry eye.  The drops apparently sting and she is fighting me hard each time I go to put the drops in.  She is a very sweet-natured girl and wouldn't bite but I am finding I just cannot do this on my own.  Has anyone else had a similar problem and how do you manage to put the drops in if you don't have another pair of hands to help?  I am seeing our vet tomorrow for a first appointment and am hoping he might give me drops for her which don't sting.  Any suggestions in the meantime?
Vilya and Paddy

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: EYE DROPS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »
Congratulations on your new cocker and well done for rescuing her.  My first dog had to have eye drops for most of his life, I used to more or less straddle him, I stood behind him and wedged him between my knees, although admittedly , being a  German Shepherd he was taller so I didn‘t have to bend so low. Could you try and similar position with you sitting? If the drops sting, you‘re probably not going to avoid resistance but you being behind her might prove less threatening for her maybe? Lots of calm, praise and reward and hopefully she‘ll eventually get used to the routine. Best of luck and do keep us posted, its always lovely to hear how these little girls  progress and learn how to be happy cockers!  :luv: (whats her name?)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
My old boy has Dry Eye and has Optimmune Ointment for it, which is cyclosporine and is usually the only way to stop the disease progressing. Perhaps your vet will prescribe it when you go tomorrow?

Optimmune doesn't sting, so if you end up with it that should help in more ways than one. I've found with William that a daily routine of the ointment followed by a treat works well for him. I get the Optimmune tube and a tasty treat out and when he sees them he hops onto the sofa, which is an easy place for me to apply the ointment, and sits. I apply the ointment and then he gets the treat and some praise. He doesn't enjoy the process but he endures it without fuss because he understands the routine and knows that it ends with something nice.

If you end up being prescribed Optimmune please post again and I'll give you a few tips about buying and using it.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
Milly has had to have lubricating eye drops twice a day for the past six years.

At first she wasn't too keen but, after building up a routine over time, she now happily jumps up on the settee whenever the eye drops are produced and even holds her head up to get the drops introduced.

A gravy bone and a cuddle completes the process and she jumps down off the settee to do a couple of twirls before heading to the kitchen for a well earned drink from her water bowl.

Bob.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »
At first she wasn't too keen but, after building up a routine over time, she now happily jumps up on the settee whenever the eye drops are produced and even holds her head up to get the drops introduced.

A gravy bone and a cuddle completes the process and she jumps down off the settee to do a couple of twirls before heading to the kitchen for a well earned drink from her water bowl.

Bob.

I did similar with my cockers - in fact after Wilf had watched Ruby being given them and a treat when the eye stuff came out I had 2 dogs perfectly sitting for the eye drops for 1 and treats for both

When I began doing Ruby's at 1st I found positioning her in the corner of the armchair helped too as she couldn't escape quite as easily - after a while she would allow me to do them while she was sat on the ground
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline revis

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Maggie was a puppy farm girl and she came to us with dry eye syndrome. She used to have celluvisc drops twice daily occasionally four. She never minded and sometimes she had optimine ointment twice a day. As she came from Dogs Trust Bridgend all her eye treatment was paid for by them.