Author Topic: Long lasting puppy treats or chews  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Long lasting puppy treats or chews
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
Me again! I just wondered if any of you lovely people could suggest any long-lasting puppy chews or treats that could occupy Joey for 20-30 minutes whilst we have a coffee or a pint out and about  ;)
He will happily munch on something for up to half an hour but recently he's been getting through things a lot quicker! We've tried the natural raw hide bone things (used to last 30-40 minutes but now last about 15 if lucky!) and we've tried carrots but he can demolish a big one in about ten minutes! Any other suggestions?! Certainly don't want to over feed him so it's usually just a once or maybe twice a week treat.
Thanks as always  :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Long lasting puppy treats or chews
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
 :lol2: they just get faster and faster don‘t they?  :005
Have you tried packing a kong really full? If you do it in layers and jam a larger piece of kibble in the narrow bit, it takes a bit of effort to get it out. Only disadvantage is crawling around the floor trying to retrieve it when its time  to go!!  :005:
Just read a warning  yesterday about hooves or antlers which are popular here, they‘re apparently too hard and can damaged teeth.
If yoh haven’t already done so, it might  be good time to start training Joey to lie down quietly for longer periods at home so that eventually he‘ll just lie quietly when you‘re out. Humphrey‘s still very fidgety for the first couple of minutes if we‘re out but I‘ve found that if I can secure him to my foot or a SOLID  ;) table leg and then completely ignore him, he‘ll settle quicker than if I keep talking to him and telling him to lie down. Its good that you‘re getting him used to it early though, we didn‘t expose Humphrey to enough busy places when he was little, which makes things harder now.
Best of Luck!  :D

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
Ahh this is something I can constantly shopping for... we freeze his kongs which lasts a lot longer but this can obviously be difficult if you are aiming to use it when out and about.
We often give Leo a 'Smartbone' to chill with while I'm chilling with a glass of vino  :lol2:  they're REALLY expensive so he is certainly not allowed them very often. But on the odd occasion I want a bit of respite out of the home he will sit happily by my legs with one of these for 20-30 mins.
We did buy an antler as bizzylizzy mentioned but I too have found that they are very hard and aside from me worrying about his teeth, he also gets bored of it quickly as he's not getting much out of it

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
The only thing i've ever found that REALLY lasts for hours is a raw bone. A beef rib would keep Archie happy for hours when he was young. I wouldn't let him have it unsupervised though. 

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
The traditional 'big bone' - raw - is the answer, though they can be acky/greasy so outside-and-supervised only.  A dried pig's ear/cow's ear or a decent size pizzle used to occupy Jack for half an hour as a pupster, as an occasional quiet time (for me) treat.

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions as always. I will look into some of your uggwstions! We'll also have to try and begin to train him 'settle' a bit as Bizzylizzy suggested but he is often so distracted by things (people, other dogs, smells, leaves moving!) that even though he's good at settling at home I can't imagine him being that good out and about! He also gets  a lot of attention when we are out so sometimes when he's eventually settled somebody spoils it by wanting to stroke him! That's the price you pay for having such a gorgeous dog I suppose

Offline anthonycmjohnson

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
Our trainer recommended this: http://www.rufflesnuffle.co.uk It keeps Bailey busy for 10 mins so maybe not as long as you need but she loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
best thing we did was get Gemma to "settle". Use the word at all opportunities, at bed time, sofa time, when he is sitting with you. 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
I use "have a minute" rarely works though 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.