Author Topic: Stud Dogs  (Read 5146 times)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 09:12:50 PM »
Oh wow, she's beautiful.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 07:13:06 AM »
If no one had ever put solids and partis together, then would we have all the beautiful colours we have today. Cockers are one of the few breeds,(possibly only?) that have such a huge array of colours.
I think if people are willing to take the risk, provided they do know what theyre doing, is it such a bad thing?

As long as all the health checks are carried out, and we breed healthy happy dogs, I really cant see a problem.

I'm I to duck and take to the hills now....? ;)
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stud Dogs
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »
You don't need to duck Karen ;) The key phrase is "provided they do know what they're doing" which we are all saying :) Solid/parti matings need to be carried out with full knowledge of the pedigrees involved & for the right reasons - not just on a whim because the nearest stud dog happens to be a solid (or vice versa). I still don't follow Ulla's reasoning that mixed solid/parti breedings improve temperaments as surely a dog whose temperament needs improving should not be bred from in the first place? Sorry if I've misunderstood this :unsure:

The other breed with a similar range of colours is the American Cocker where it is more common to mate solids with partis but they do have a much smaller gene pool in the UK than we do in Cockers.

Jane
Jane

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »
Phew! ;)
and I really do mean as long as they know what theyre doing.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Ulla R

• Site Member
    • http://ladysplits.tripod.com/
Stud Dogs
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 04:08:16 PM »
It is generally know that solids tend to have more problems with the temperament. And our breed clubb has made efforts to sort it out from which family the problems comes. So far the only fact that has come out is that the pedigrees are very different from each other. So the problems appear in almost every family. Although that the parents has been carefully selected and are known to have excellent temperaments. So what can we do? `

The swedes have been doing that in several decades with good results, so why don't we other try that?

And I don't mean that if a solid has a poor temperament that it could be fixed with mating with a parti. No such animal should never be breed from.

Actually when we don't mix the lines so we almost have three different breeds here: solid, parties and working. And it is kind of pity...

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Stud Dogs
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:55 PM »
Wow, very interesting posts, right?
Whenever I come to the forum I always find something invaluable  :D

It took 5 years for my wife and I to have our first litter. At least we thought that was enough to. lol

I'm afraid we should study and learn more. All the posts I read here tonight tell me that I shouldn't stop studying about our human-like gangs. what is wrong with me.

My wife visited KC library a few years ago. She said she read a book written about color breeding of cocker spaniels. think it's out of print now.

She copied  a few  interesting pages there but forgot to write down the name and author of the book :o

Have someone ever read it or have it at a personal library?

ChangBin(Chris)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stud Dogs
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
My wife visited KC library a few years ago. She said she read a book written about color breeding of cocker spaniels. think it's out of print now.

She copied  a few  interesting pages there but forgot to write down the name and author of the book :o

Have someone ever read it or have it at a personal library?
[snapback]155053[/snapback]
I don't think there has ever been a book specifically about colour breeding in Cockers. I'm wondering if it was the Burns & Fraser book on Genetics of The Dog which your wife saw? One of the authors of this book bred Cockers & so there is quite a bit about Cocker colour inheritance in the book, although it's quite dated now.

Jane

Jane

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Stud Dogs
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 05:23:49 PM »

I don't think there has ever been a book specifically about colour breeding in Cockers. I'm wondering if it was the Burns & Fraser book on Genetics of The Dog which your wife saw? One of the authors of this book bred Cockers & so there is quite a bit about Cocker colour inheritance in the book, although it's quite dated now.

Jane
[snapback]155173[/snapback]

Thanks, Jane.

I have checked  again the copies which my wife broght from KC. I think the name of the book is 'THE COCKER SPANIEL' It covers from breeding methods to color breeding. also covers how to pick up a better stud dog. I only have some partial pages.

It might be dated. I'm sure it's still useful for a recent breeding program.

ChangBin(Chris)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stud Dogs
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2005, 12:28:08 AM »
I think the book your talking about is by George Caddy, it is currently out of print but copies occaisionally pop up on Ebay.