Author Topic: Hamish Bit Me  (Read 14125 times)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 10:30:19 PM »
my boys were done at 7 months and were fine.
As for the Tardak, one of my closest friends had a dog given Tardak and it went on to nearly kill another dog, she has really researched it and spoke to one of the foremost vet experts and he said of course it would affect the dog, its a depressant and so the dog would be unhappy and the only thrill it got was from showing agression - scarey considering he was a fully grown bull mastiff.
I know of another dog that was fine on Tardak but was definately alot mre subdued and depressed than actual castration, which didn't affect my boys at all :)
[snapback]184170[/snapback]

Thanks Freya, I will take your advice - he's in for the chop.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 11:27:52 PM »
I have seen this thread but not yet mentioned that after discussion with my vet ... Ben had the Tardak injection last Thursday.  At 7 months he was humping anything (male or female - head end or rear end  :ph34r: ) He was also humping both me and my daughter.  I decided to go with the injection as I think he's too young for surgery.  The result is ................. no change with the humping and today he had a 'go' at another spaniel + he 'curled his lip and snarled' at me for not letting him get at a twix bar :ph34r:  This may just be the Kevin phase and the humping may stop tomorrow but I won't have the Tardak again - just go straight for the castration later.  I did read reviews before going ahead and phoned the vet twice + the consultation befopre taking the decision. Other dogs may benefit but not my wayward Ben  :rolleyes: I'll let you all know if things improve.

One lesson I've learned is to trust you guys  ;)
[snapback]184173[/snapback]

I could be wrong but I'm sure when Jimmy had a couple of Tardak injections the vet told me they take 7/10 days to take effect.

I'm not sure how effective Tardak is, it didn't seem to change Jimmy at all that I noticed, good or bad, but I'm not sure how common any side effects are either. I read up about it on a lot of dog forums (Dogpages, Dogchat, Champdogs) before Jimmy had it and the only really bad stories I read all related to the same dog ( I think it might be the case Crazyspaniels refers to - and possibly Penel and Penny too. The world of dog forums is a small one. :D )

Incidentally , does anyone know anything about this new implant that lasts for 6 months that is suposed to reduce the production of testosterone to almost zero - it's been heralded as an alterntive to castration. I'm not sure it's available in this country yet but awaits a license.

Penel

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »
I also know a dachshund that reacted badly to Tardak so it wasn't just the bullmastiff  :)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
Oh no, Debbie I hope all is going to be OK.  Have you been back to the Vet?  I am really angry that my vet suggested this.

How long does the injection take to wear off? and are these effects long lasting?
[snapback]184176[/snapback]

I haven't been back to the vet as he said that the injection could be repeated in 8 - 10 days if it hadn't worked.  He also said it could last 3 to 6 months.

Ben got very possessive today with a crisp bag!  One of the gang will usually find something (expensive toys ignored  :lol: ) and the other dogs race round trying to steal it!  It's very good fun and the dog with the treasure teases the others.  Today Ben had the 'treasure' but guarded it a bit too well.  He wouldn't let the other dogs near it and snapped at them.  I know he is too hungry at the moment (going to change foods) but I don't think thats a good enough excuse - especially as the bag was empty!  He is also jumping up more - got a lady with a cream coat today  :ph34r: This behaviour may have happened anyway but it coincides with the Tardak.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
Hamish is going for the chop some time next wek. Enjoy the last few days we man!

He was the worst he's evr been at training last night, forgot evrything we hav larned :ph34r:  maybe nxt wek I can put it down to pre op nerves!
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »
I confess to being a bit confused by all this  :unsure:

Isn't all the behaviour described fairly *normal* for adolescent dogs - especially ones which live with other dogs?  :unsure:   I may have been really lucky (and Molo is an only dog), but he grew out of his yobbish, adolescent behaviour after a few months  ;)  He did hump, grumble if I asked him to move, develop complete deafness to recall and all the other less charming things that they do at that age......maybe I was expecting far worse, so was pleasantly surprised to survive unscathed ? :ph34r:

From day 1, I was guided by advise I read here which recommended allowing a dog to mature before neutering; by the time Molo got to that stage, he had grown up, and we didn't consider it necessary  :unsure:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2006, 10:50:34 PM »
Yes but that doesn't mean, it is not necessary for Shona and Hamish.  She has given this lots of thought and has come to a decision that is right for her and her dog. :)
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2006, 11:02:25 PM »
I confess to being a bit confused by all this  :unsure:

Isn't all the behaviour described fairly *normal* for adolescent dogs - especially ones which live with other dogs?  :unsure:   I may have been really lucky (and Molo is an only dog), but he grew out of his yobbish, adolescent behaviour after a few months  ;)  He did hump, grumble if I asked him to move, develop complete deafness to recall and all the other less charming things that they do at that age......maybe I was expecting far worse, so was pleasantly surprised to survive unscathed ? :ph34r:

From day 1, I was guided by advise I read here which recommended allowing a dog to mature before neutering; by the time Molo got to that stage, he had grown up, and we didn't consider it necessary  :unsure:
[snapback]184618[/snapback]

I agree with Mich, Rachel, given other things I have read Shona post about castration she wouldn't be going in to this lightly.

If she felt it was something he would get over then I feel sure from what I have read her say she wouldn't castrate, but sometimes its the only way :(

Molo may have "grown out of it" but not all dogs do, however hard you try.

* Shona I hope thats right!!!!!!!! I don't want to be talking rubbish, but thats how I understand the situation* xxxxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2006, 07:41:59 AM »
I agree with Mich, Rachel, given other things I have read Shona post about castration she wouldn't be going in to this lightly.

If she felt it was something he would get over then I feel sure from what I have read her say she wouldn't castrate, but sometimes its the only way :(

Molo may have "grown out of it" but not all dogs do, however hard you try.

* Shona I hope thats right!!!!!!!! I don't want to be talking rubbish, but thats how I understand the situation* xxxxx
[snapback]184621[/snapback]

I'm not questioning Shona, or anyone elses, decison - they have far more doggie experience than me  :ph34r:

I am really trying to work out how to tell the difference between "moody teen" and behaviour that requires addressing through Tardak or neutering  :unsure:  I hope Molo will not be the only dog I ever have, and if I have been lucky this time not to experience the problems that others have, I want to know what to look for so I can deal with it appropriately in the future  :rolleyes:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2006, 08:07:02 AM »
I can olny say from our experience, that he's really changed into an unpredictable we thing recntly. The thing that worries me is the aggression - mostly to me, or Indie. Out of nowhere, he will suddenly turn into this biting, barking, angry dog, will no provocation whatsoever. He's peed on our bed twice, despite not being allowed on our bed, he's bitten m, he will be at my feet having a tummy tickle and will suddenly bite, etc. He's been really aggressive with Indie - we have had to separate them a lot recently, before one gets hurt, and it's horrible.

Play fighting I'm used to, they can make awful sounds then, but this is much more real.

He didn't come to us a well trained dog, and having left things till he was settled down, he's now been going to an apdt training class for four weeks, and is loving it. He's keen to learn, his recall is fabulous - he's such a quick learner, I will be booking another course after this and just keep going with him, because he adores it and is smart as a whip.

Indie went through the ten stage, forgot verything he'd learned, forgot recall, humped a few times, but not the aggression or peeing stuff.

I don't have enough experience of dogs to know 100% if it's the right thing, but my trainer thinks it is, and also Hamish's vet (one of the few that haven't tried to push the issue), so I'm going from that, and also reading up on what I can.

Mind you, still haven't booked him in yet ;)  :)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
I don't know if I'm talking out of the right end here! But I remember reading somewhere that when you try to introduce NILIF you often get a sort of "kickback" period where the behaviour of the dog gets worse before it gets better.

I just wondered whether this new behaviour from Hamish might be related to the new rigours of his training after thinking he can get away with everything he wants (well, up to a point - I know you wouldn't let him away with everything).

I'm just thinking along the lines that from his perception, you also have started being a bit unpredictable lately too!???

Dunno. What do others think?

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
I ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »
 :D

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »
Shona have you spoken to the trainer about hamish biting? I know some of these people are behavourists and may be able to help you find the problem and deal with it .
[snapback]184724[/snapback]

Shona mentioned earlier in this thread the trainer had advised castration ;) As did the vet

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2006, 12:54:11 PM »
 :D