Author Topic: Newbie!!!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Newbie!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
Hi Jane

Thanks so much for your concerns - its great to hear everyone's advice and I fully appreciate it. Will chat with our breeder when we go to see her today and hopefully she'll be able to offer some advice. I have pm'ed you her name and when she is based as you seem to know an awful lot about breeders etc perhaps you could let me know your thoughts.

Thank you  :blink:

Hi Jules - thank you! Here's hoping to everything being ok and him coming home in 7 weeks!!!
Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »
Rudy is just beautiful! :luv:  I chose Molly at 4 weeks old, but as Brodie came from the same breeder I saw him from 4 days old and visited him weekly until we brought him home.  Every time we went he would fall asleep in my arms so I knew he was right for us :luv:.  I hope the next few weeks fly by for you :D.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
Really sad news - our puppy and the rest of the litter passed away this week  :'( Not sure what we're going to do from here..... I guess everything happens for a reason and it would have been harder if we had got more attached to him and if he had been older....

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »
 I am really really sorry to hear that.:'(  It is amazing how quickly the little ones can worm their way into your heart and I really feel for you...

Petra

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 08:14:18 PM »
Oh, how sad! :'(  My thoughts are with you.  I can't even imagine what the breeder's going through at the moment :-\.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 08:18:27 PM »
I am sorry to hear this, what caused this to happen?

Is this common, for the whole litter to pass away together?

How awlful.
 :'(
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:31 PM »
Im not sure, my OH spoke to her and she sounded pretty devastated so didnt want to ask too many questions, she said she has put us a letter in the post explaining the situation and giving back our deposit, although to be perfectly honest Im not bothered about the money.

It was quite a large litter - there were 11 pups so I dont know if this had anything to do with it, although I grew up with cockers this would have been our first dog, so Im not entirely sure if losing an entire litter is normal or not (although I doubt it).

Thanks for all your concerns though!

Cx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 10:04:30 PM »
So sorry for you.

Run free little Rudy with your brothers and sisters  :'(
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 10:18:53 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this, how awful. Run free little pups xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 04:17:30 PM »
Just read your story. This is so very sad.  :'(

It's not common for a full litter to go in this way, and please don't get me wrong - I am not criticising in anyway - but many breeders I spoke to when we were getting Jasper were so very nervous about the early days with puppies that they would not let anyone see or choose a puppy until they were well over two weeks old. Many wanted to leave it until at least 4 weeks and some even longer than that. The main reason is that so many things can go wrong as you have witnessed to your pain, and they did not want to tempt fate.

It was a fairly large litter, but hopefully mum is OK and your breeder will do all she can to find out what the cause was.

Good look in finding another litter. Don't be worried about going on a waiting list for the right puppy - it will be worth the wait.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this.  I am sure he had a special place in your hearts already.

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »
How sad. I'm so sorry.

Offline willowfaery

• Site Member
    • Bear kisses my bear site
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
I am so sorry to hear your news, it's so sad and even I am crying for you.  I can't imagine how heartbroken you feel.  :'(
My heart is with you in your sadness. :'(
Jules 

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »
So sorry to read this :'(

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
Just read your story. This is so very sad.  :'(

It's not common for a full litter to go in this way, and please don't get me wrong - I am not criticising in anyway - but many breeders I spoke to when we were getting Jasper were so very nervous about the early days with puppies that they would not let anyone see or choose a puppy until they were well over two weeks old. Many wanted to leave it until at least 4 weeks and some even longer than that. The main reason is that so many things can go wrong as you have witnessed to your pain, and they did not want to tempt fate.

It was a fairly large litter, but hopefully mum is OK and your breeder will do all she can to find out what the cause was.

Thanks Pammy - I have since found out that the breeder is not as responsible as she has made out to be. Unfortunately as this is our first pup we weren't to know about the not holding until they're a little older and were actively encourgaged by the breeder to hold the puppies. She has since advised us that they died probably because the litter was large. Furthermore we have decided not to go back to her as have heard some reports that are not entirely favourable - and that's me being diplomatic!!!!

Everyone else - thank you so much for your comments - it really does mean alot.

Cx