Author Topic: do you leave your dog tied up outside a shop  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
Re: do you leave your dog tied up outside a shop
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
I don't have a dog yet. But the answer is No for the same reasons stated above  :blink:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »
No way

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »
paddy screams like a baby if i go in the shop and he waits outside with jim.
so i guess the answer is no no no.
it's getting a bit rough round here so they would probably get stolen,the theives here are stupid.they would steal a screaming dog as quick as they would a quiet one.

Offline EmC

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 08:09:39 PM »
No never. Would never leave him outside a shop in the car either.

Emma and Jarvis

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 03:40:26 PM »
would never leave any of my dogs anywere, and especially outside a shop >:D :police:

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
I think that it kind of depends where you live. I grew up on Shetland and had no problems leaving my dog outside the local shop, in the car or in an unlocked house for that matter! I completely avoid leaving my current dog outside any shops now that I am living "down south" though. She does get left in the car - weather permitting - but tends just to lie down and go to sleep so that anyone looking at the car would not even know that she is there.

Offline Doggybelemy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 08:48:49 PM »
I agree that it depends where you live - I am guilty of both -  although in my defense it is only every the village shop and we live in rural Scotland.

I do leave him in the car quite a bit, only this evening he was left outside my mums in the car (he is not allowed in) and she lives an hour away.  He just lies down and goes to sleep.  I have never even considered that someone would break into the car to get him - now I will be worrying about it!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 10:05:32 PM »
Never!  First Ben would get an ASBO (he doesn't do well on his own and is very vocal about it) -  and most important he would be very distressed or might get stolen.

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
  • Little Ollie and Little Nell
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »
This type of thing so angers me! What gives anybody the right to just go up to a innocent little dog, probably timid and minding it's own business. Why should anyone think that the little strange dog and would appreciated that it should like being stroke and expect to be grateful?

I wouldn't go up to a complete stranger on the street and interact/pet them. Or worse still, go up to someones child and start saying what a lovely baby/child. No I wouldn't.  So why should animals be any different?

I would understand if the dog bit the man un-provoked, but remember, that little cocker was tied up outside a shop waiting for it's mummy or daddy and was probably more scared than the man was. Just think, you're a little cocker minding you own business out side a shop and along comes a big hairy strange man. Scary or what? Scary me thinks! Adults should know better.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »

I would understand if the dog bit the man un-provoked, but remember, that little cocker was tied up outside a shop waiting for it's mummy or daddy and was probably more scared than the man was. Just think, you're a little cocker minding you own business out side a shop and along comes a big hairy strange man. Scary or what? Scary me thinks! Adults should know better.

I agree!!

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
NO WAY.........being a petsearch volunteer I see too many reports of this ......people just don't learn I keep telling them every time  I see a dog left tied up out side a shop etc.       some people are just rude >:( when you tell them what can happen, I would never leave my baby......no way,
       Val

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
No... no way would I leave Kyro tied up outside anywhere...

As for the old guy... shame he was bitten... but, I was his own fault... when are people going to get it that you should never go up to a dog a.) that doesn't know you and b.) without the owners permision...

I have lost count of the amount of time I have told this to kids in the park that just stroll / run up to Kyro...

anyway.... Rant over...  ::)

I agree, that's my opinion too. In my whole life I have never atempted to stroke a dog that's tied up outside a shop, and I've seen many obviously. It's just not sensible. My co-workers father who has two King Charles spaniels, they are very growly, they don't like anyone coming close to them let alone stroke them, yet people still attempted to stroke them when he tied them outside the shop I worked at.

I can possibly understand leaving your dog outside a small local shop, where you can see them from the till, but I very often see dogs outside our local Sainsbury's! God knows how longs they were there for, I went in, finished my shopping, left, and they were still waiting!

I do feel for the old man, but he really should know better.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 04:26:16 PM »
This is a subject that worries me especially as I'm about to take on a rescue dog (Louie) that doesn't like strangers touching him.  People should ALWAYS ask before stroking a dog and NEVER touch a dog alone tied up.  I think even Meg would snap in that situation because she would think she was being taken away.

I got told Meg should be muzzled once because a mother let her kid run up to Meg, arms flapping and screaming so Meg barked nothing more, and the mother whipped her kid away shouting abuse at me.

The area where I live though isn't safe to leave dogs alone tied up.

Louise
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
I must be on my own here then, but if I see a dog tied up outside a shop, I would rightly or wrongly assume that the owner is confident that the dog wouldn't try and bite anyone, or surely they wouldn't be daft enought to leave it unattended:-\   I often go up and stroke them if I see them left tied up, I can't help myself :005:   In fact I was stroking a GSD X pup that was tied up outside Tescos the other day, I spent ages sat with this pup cuddling him he was gorgeous and I was a bit worried for him, that if I left him, then someone may infact try and steal him :-\   If people don't want their dogs petted, then they shouldn't leave them tied up alone IMO :D

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
I wouldn't dream of leaving my dogs tied up  outside a shop anymore than I would have left my children outside - anyone could walk off with them or another dog attack them. They are part of the family.