Author Topic: A BARF Diary.  (Read 54185 times)

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
Re: A BARF Diary.
« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2007, 09:57:03 PM »
Harry has just had his first chicken wing  ph34r  :P.

The more I read the more this BARF way of feeding makes sense.  He's totally disinterested with his kibble - loves sardines, egg, fruit, veg and meat that we have, so really it's just a step on from that.....but a bit more organised and......raw! ::).

I'm going to mix it with his kibble (just 'cos I'm tight and don't want to waste it  ph34r) - do you think that's a good idea, or a bad one?

I know about the worming side of things after reading all 17 pages of this thread  ;), but can somebody tell me to stop worrying about it with regard to the dog and our children and licks and salmonella etc.  That's the only hurdle for OH at the moment - other than that I'm sold  :lol:.

I'm a little apprehensive about ever having to tell the VET too........but, I'll worry about that should the need arise ;)
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »
I'm going to mix it with his kibble (just 'cos I'm tight and don't want to waste it  ph34r) - do you think that's a good idea, or a bad one?

You might want to avoid mixing both in the same meal - raw and processed foods is digested at different rates and can have explosive effects on some dogs  :005: - but Molo was fed one processed/one raw meal a day for several months  :D

We have never stopped Molo giving lil'bit kisses all over her face - much to the horror of many - but she loves it, and we have never had a problem with worms  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:32 PM »
You might want to avoid mixing both in the same meal - raw and processed foods is digested at different rates and can have explosive effects on some dogs   - but Molo was fed one processed/one raw meal a day for several months 

:shades: right - thanks for that  :005:  :005:

I know that you try to ensure that Molo will eat kibble too, which I feel sensible - especially for holidays/kennels etc.

As for the worms - I'm not too bothered about this aspect as I don't think that I'll be feeding rabitt too often tbh, it was more from an E.Coli/Salmonella angle that I was concerned about.  The thought of raw chicken being thrown about is going to send me reaching for the Dettol spray when he's finished!  I know a lot of you are feeding outside (or on black bags, Nicola) but I think that in winter weather, this will be a bit impractical perhaps  :-\.  I know that if I am feeding good quality meat that the liklihood of this type of bacteria being present is minimised anyway.  There was mention on the UKBarf site about pork bones and risk to health.........

I suppose, for goodness sake, the dog walks in the park and probably treads in god knows what and I don't stop to think about it  :-\.......perhaps I've answered my own question here  ::)

Albert Camus

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #258 on: June 12, 2007, 01:58:19 AM »
You could always first freeze everything you feed, that will help to minimise the risk, I do that.

However the human mouth contains millions of bacteria, a dogs mouth will too, (although not identical types of course). Hygiene precautions with dogs and children should be the same whatever you feed. My view is that within reason children exposed to a wide range of bacteria, viruses and fungi (ie 'dirt') have a more robust immune system by the time they are adults than those who are protected by dettol infested homes.

Having said that I do thoroughly wipe down and disinfect all surfaces and wash my hands straight after preparing batches of Ferns raw food, the same as I do after preparing raw meat for cooking for ourselves. It's the sensible thing to do.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #259 on: June 12, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice so far  :D

Nicola, I've managed to find and download "Work Wonders: Feed your Dog Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale.  I'm tryin to plough trough that to get some answers.  Thanks so much for all the help so far though.  It's one of those things I just feel uneasy about, I guess because the thought of raw meet is a scary one.  Did anyone see Horizon last night about so called "organic" chicken?  Scary stuff!

My view is that within reason children exposed to a wide range of bacteria, viruses and fungi (ie 'dirt') have a more robust immune system by the time they are adults than those who are protected by dettol infested homes.

Absolutely!  If I ever have a child I don't intend to drag it through layers of grime and germs, but you don't need to provide a sterile environment.  Children who have grown up with pets are less likely to have allergies and some childhood illnesses.  There's some things you should obviousy do as you say, like cleaning surfaces, but there's a difference between clean and sterile!
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #260 on: June 12, 2007, 01:44:29 PM »
My view is that within reason children exposed to a wide range of bacteria, viruses and fungi (ie 'dirt') have a more robust immune system by the time they are adults than those who are protected by dettol infested homes.

Absolutely!  If I ever have a child I don't intend to drag it through layers of grime and germs, but you don't need to provide a sterile environment.  Children who have grown up with pets are less likely to have allergies and some childhood illnesses.  There's some things you should obviousy do as you say, like cleaning surfaces, but there's a difference between clean and sterile!

I totally agree.  I have this opinion, but OH is a Dr so his hand hygiene is spot on (and of course it should be) but this overflows into domestic areas too iyswim  ;).  (not that he has OCD btw  :lol:)

Albert Camus

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #261 on: June 12, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »

I totally agree.  I have this opinion, but OH is a Dr so his hand hygiene is spot on (and of course it should be) but this overflows into domestic areas too iyswim  ;).  (not that he has OCD btw  :lol:)
  :lol: In which case he will know exactly where I am coming from. (I work in microbiology btw  ph34r :005: )
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »
In which case he will know exactly where I am coming from. (I work in microbiology btw    )

I thought that we had similar backgrounds  :lol:.  I'm a biologist and he's a medic - recipe for disaster  ::)  :005:  :005:.  I found something on the Barf site about salmonella etc and all seems fine in the Phillyknickers household   ;).

Harry had 200g mince with an egg and a chicken wing for tea.........waggy tail and two 'check to see if I've finished it' licks  :P

I need to whizz some veg...............

this is just like doing Annabel Carmel with the children all over again.......does anyone know what I mean, or am I rambling to myself again  :huh:  ::)  :005:

Albert Camus

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »

.......does anyone know what I mean, or am I rambling to myself again  :huh:  ::)  :005:

No idea what you are talking about but as long as you know!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »
 :lol:

Albert Camus

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
My vet did advise worming every three months instead of six months when feeding raw if there were young children in the house (shes more then happy with a Barf diet). You might like to check that out with your vet?
Caroline and Alfie

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »
My vet did advise worming every three months instead of six months when feeding raw if there were young children in the house

Was that for Tapeworm do you know?

Albert Camus

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
My vet did advise worming every three months instead of six months when feeding raw if there were young children in the house

Was that for Tapeworm do you know?

No idea (no young children in this household) but hes on Drontal which covers all worms and seeing how quick tapeworms are passed around I guess so
Caroline and Alfie

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »

So, how much would you give then  :shades:.  They are frozen in the photo, but I know the lamb ribs aren't very meaty are they  :-\.......The others are beef.....

Is it OK to give Beef as I think that some of you said it wears their teeth?

They were free  :o and he'll give me them every week  :shades:  yippee!!   :lol:  (especially if they're a bit more meaty next time ).

Albert Camus