Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
Hiya
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »
Thought I'd best say 'Hi'...I am the proud owner of two little cocker monsters...Teal who is 8 months (blue roan and tan bitch) and Drake who is 4 months (Black/Tan dog)...they are both 'working' cockers, they have some similar breeding but are very different in both type and personality.  One thing they do share is the sweetest temperament, both very loving and outgoing little dogs with people and other dogs alike.  I think they're both real quirky looking little things but I do think they're just gorgeous :-))

You can see them both here...

www.bryningbordercollies.com/Teal
www.bryningbordercollies.com/Drake

As you can see I breed and show border collies but we've always had spaniels (these are my first cockers); Teal is already in training for flyball and is doing really well, she should come out for her first starters comp at Easter...can't wait!!  Provided all continues to go well with training etc I may breed a litter from her at some point in the future, possibly with Drake or maybe another stud dog (there are loads I like!!); they are both being DNA tested for prcdPRA in February and I will hip score and eye test them both to...what's good enough for my collies is good enough for the cockers! ;)  I have a particular interest in colour genetics and am relatively well versed in Border Collies, I have the basics with the cockers but am keen to learn more.

Sorry I waffled a bit there...I do that a lot ;)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Hiya
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »
I looked at the first photo and was going to post that Teal is gorgeous. Then I saw Drake!!!

They are both so beautiful. :luv: :luv:

So, how many dogs do you have????? Sounds like a real handful.

Welcome to COL. Hope you are soon as hopelessly addicted as the rest of us!

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:44:17 PM »
Thanks Annette :-) I am so in love with my little spaniels (or cocker-teal and cocker-two as my friends call them...terrible pun I know!!) lol

I have 13 border collies as well as the two cockers, all the dogs live in the house (no, really they do!), we're out most evenings at obedience classes, ringcraft or flyball training and we're away almost every weekend in the summer competing (big doggy van and caravan!) we also have some agility equipment at home for a bit of fun training.  I'm DEAD lucky to have a good sized house with a huge garden and my friends (farmers) allow me access to 50 acres of pasture land for exercising the dogs, about 300m from our house, we also live 15 mins from the beach and go down in the van every weekend we're not away and summer evenings to...so long as they're all kept exercised and occupied they're really no trouble...I will also point out that having 13 border collies is not like having 13 spaniels...I love my spaniels to death but I think you know what I mean ;)  Having this many dogs really is a total lifestyle choice, there are a lot of things you can't do (like take last minute foreign holidays!) but I wouldn't have it any other way :-D

Teal definitely thinks she is a collie...she thinks and acts like a collie...Drake is a real spaniel...not a care in the world and a mind of his own! ;-)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:46:18 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

I instantly recognised your username because I have been looking at your site for about a year as I take an interest in both cockers and collies. I have 3 show type cockers, a 1yr old orange and white called Elsie, a 5 1/2 yr old orange roan called Georgie and a 6 1/2 yr old gold called Lottie (I am slightly mad but wouldn't be without them), I also have a 4 1/2 year old black tri WSD called Sammy (my big baby)  :luv:.

There is a search button at the top of page so you can find things out like colour genetics  :D.
Cayley.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »
They are just 2 beautiful dogs :luv: :luv:

I own spaniels now but my next best dogs are border collies. My first dog was a collie.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:36:43 PM »
what cuties.  :luv:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
I have never seen dogs the colour of yours and I am definitely in love!   We have a Saluki cross and a Springer x labrador cross at the moment.  We lost our Yorkie in September, and although at the mo we say we will not get a third dog, I know that we will one day - that is one of the reasons I still lurk on here!  We had planned to get a cocker when we met (and fell in love with!) our Springer x labrador pup (who is now 9 months old)
Maybe by the time you are ready to breed, we will be ready to look again?  Who knows!
Best of luck - I really envy you having the space and ability to have so many dogs.  I would love your lifestyle ...... one day maybe I will too!
Lovely pups
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 12:59:17 PM »
welcome to col! I have 3 spaniels 2 are working cockers  liath bue girl and rolo her nephew,and ones a sprocker, pepper who is liaths half sister,  also OH has his young red woking border collie gibb, well hes in training as unfortunately our older working collie has passed away so between gibb and the spaniels we are muddling through. my liath is a brill wee sheepdog she just cant cast around them unfortunately but hopefully by next year gibb will have matured enough to take on the work properly.
 I warn you COL is addictive! your dogs are lovely. looking forward to seeing more pics.. also excellent pics did you take them?  if so well done! they are great.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
Hi. Welcome :blink: . I have a seven year old working cocker, Fern.  You have wonderful dogs. I can see much of Fern in their expressions when working, especially the quizzical funny face  :luv: . They are so full of enthusiasm. Fern too has Housty Solo and of course Jade of Livermere (don't all working cockers? ::) ) in her pedigree too. Their names are just perfect.

I hope you willl be adding cockersonline to your cocker links now  ;)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »
*thud*

beautiful babies  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

i think jarv (liver working cocker) would love flyball, so will watch drake and teal avidly!

welcome :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 04:13:12 PM »
I love border collie's and very sadly lost mine in May 2005.  I then decided to get a working cocker, he's black and very very clever, I didn't realise that he would be quite so easy to train, his name is Mikey and he is 19 months.  When Mikey was 10 weeks I got a working x show type called Herbie who is now 17 months (whos grandfather is Danderw Druid) and he is a very different dog, not as eager to learn because he would prefer to train us ;).  I guess that's the sign of a clever dog :-\, he would be a perfect flyball dog and I did intend to do flyball with one of them, whoever looked to be the best but fell pregnant in the meantime and have a baby due next week ::), so have had to put that on hold, although I have already been in contact with the local flyball team :D.

Your cockers are adorable  :luv: :luv:, look forward to hearing more about them, and your Collie's of course :luv:
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »
Welcome to COL!  Teal and Drake are  :luv:.  We've got one dog, Milo, a liver working x show Cocker and he's quite enough for us to deal with!  :005:  Milo's Grandad is also Danderw Druid....
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 12:53:05 PM »
Welcome to COL. I have 5 show-type cockers but grew up with border collies  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

I instantly recognised your username because I have been looking at your site for about a year as I take an interest in both cockers and collies.

There is a search button at the top of page so you can find things out like colour genetics  :D.

Aha...the dog world is such a small world isn't it ;)  I have found that collies and springers/cockers seem to go hand in hand, I guess people who like intelligent, active characters will be drawn to those breeds a lot of the time?

Nice to meet you  :D
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
They are just 2 beautiful dogs :luv: :luv:

I own spaniels now but my next best dogs are border collies. My first dog was a collie.

Hi Nic, I had a look at your website, absolutley love your baby ;)  I had thought about doing some dummy work with my two...the chap who owns Teals dad gives lessons and lives really close by; he has a training DVD which features Buster (Teal's sire)....Roger Harrison of Kirkham Gundogs...they both have good retreives already but no directional commands, something to think about for the future anyway!
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x