Author Topic: Progressive Retinal Atrophy  (Read 1391 times)

Offline JenniR

• Site Member
Progressive Retinal Atrophy
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »
Hello,
I have a Cocker dog with PRA, he was diagnosed a year and half ago. I know there is no cure but does any one have suggestions fo anr holistic to slow the degeneration down?
JenniR

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Progressive Retinal Atrophy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
sorry to hear your dog has PRA :(  hope you find some help soon.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:41:51 PM »
Sorry to hear your dog has PRA, Jenni. Which type does he have? If he has CPRA, supplementation with Vitamin E can help but if he has GPRA, then I've not heard of any kind of supplement (holistic or otherwise) which slows down the degeneration of this condition :(
Jane

Offline JenniR

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:56:45 PM »
hi,
I'm not sure which PRA it is but was told it is not curable. I have consulted a brilliant Holistic vet and together with vitamins and good nutrition our aim is to slow the degeneration down it has already helped his heart murmur reduce! I have recently discovered that in Chinese medicine there is a connection with the liver, skin and eyes. If the liver is healthy the others will be too. Jem (spaniel) had a bout of acute gastro enteritis 10 days ago and had a blood test which showed his liver had some problems, partly to do with the actual problem but still irregular. My holistic vet has put him on herbs to improve liver function so hopefully it will help his eyes.I'm keeping everything crossed!
Jenni

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »
I hate to ask this but did you have the PRA confirmed with an optician? They should be able to tell you which type your dogs has. 

There are studies underway that you can participate in for free that will also go towards helping the rest of the breed by identifying it.

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
So sorry your dog has this disease.  I had a very premature son last year who had retinopathy of prematurity and has had several operations to try to prevent further degeneration. I think it is the same disease :huh: His retina was almost detached in one eye and he was only 12 weeks old  :'( I had no idea dogs could have it too. It is a huge worry and I fully understand how you must be feeling. I know how much you want to help him! Good luck  :-*
Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline Andy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 01:22:45 AM »
Hi Jenny,

Could you let us know the vitamins/diet recommended by the holistic vet? The eye vet (where we had Pepper's cataract surgery done) recommended vitamins A, C and E plus Selenium for PRA. I've also heard that Ginkgo Biloba and Blueberry extract can help...

Offline Andy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
Sorry - Jenni not Jenny!