Author Topic: chocolate or liver?  (Read 6280 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: chocolate or liver?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 07:29:44 AM »
I prefer the term 'chocolate' but when I was speaking to Jersey's breeder, I referred to it as liver as I didn't want a telling off  ph34r :005: :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:53:36 AM »
I prefer the term 'chocolate' but when I was speaking to Jersey's breeder, I referred to it as liver as I didn't want a telling off  ph34r :005: :005:

I can imagine :lol: Don't think we'll ever see a Lynwater registered as chocolate ;)
Jane

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:08:01 PM »

Chicken!  :005:  (I mean you - I am not suggesting it as another term for cocker colour!  ;))
Julie and Watson

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
the only reason that i don't like the term 'chocolate' is that it seems that less scrupulous breeders have latched on to their popularity and will breed solely for colour, and that can't be good - for show or workers. 

So true! When we were looking we found a liver roan for £750. According to the breeder its such a rare colour (I know it is but....) That is why she was charging such a high price! Surely the colour shouldnt really be an important factor in choosing your dog anyhow and surely colour should not boost the price up! But then what do I know  :o
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 06:28:39 PM »
We have the same thing with the Newfoundlands.

Some breeders charge more for the brown ones as they are rare.... They are not that rare anymore!!

Brown Newfs can be called bronze, chocolate, brown or anything else you can think of... To me they are just brown! ::)

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:57 PM »
I always thought liver roan was a common colour in working cockers which is why I chose blue roan as I wanted something a bit different although I should have gone home with a darling liver roan bitch that really tried so hard to come with me  :luv:....

I think choccy or chocolate is more a term of endearment a bit like w***er (the taboo word we are not allowed to use) ph34r plus as it's become a trendy term unscrupulous breeders may be breeding just for colour, but I feel breeders would latch on to the popularity of the colour whether it be called liver or chocolate ... personally I tend to call them liver as I'm not that trendy.... unless it's a dog I know or owned and then I probably would as a term of endearment call it a cute little choccy, cos I'm soppy like that .... ph34r ;)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
I think choccy or chocolate is more a term of endearment a bit like w***er (the taboo word we are not allowed to use)

my mind is racing  ;) 

w***er is a technical, professional term that OH uses whilst driving  :o :o :o  :005:

:005:  ph34r
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
Well I guess the correct term for Rufters is liver then, seeing as that's whats on his pedigree.

That said when the sun hits his coat he looks quite ginger - which is why he's my little chocolate ginger  :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
Well I guess the correct term for Rufters is liver then, seeing as that's whats on his pedigree.

That said when the sun hits his coat he looks quite ginger - which is why he's my little chocolate ginger  :luv:

ph34r jarv's pedigree says......

chocolate :rofl1:  ph34r

but we call him liver and even his breeders don't know why chocolate was put.....

janice, we have a bit of a ginger/brown boy here too (no surprises i'm sure!)  :-* :-* :-* to rufters :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »
I think choccy or chocolate is more a term of endearment a bit like w***er (the taboo word we are not allowed to use)

my mind is racing  ;) 

w***er is a technical, professional term that OH uses whilst driving  :o :o :o  :005:

PMSL  :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »

I am ashamed to admit that I also use that term quite often whilst driving and it is not the dog related one either!  ph34r
Julie and Watson

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 09:07:39 PM »
I prefer the term liver  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »

my mind is racing  ;) 

:005: :005: The affectionate term for working cockers was wo*ker (if the site allows me to put a star instead of the c)  - similar to your term but i think yours begins with a wa and has an n somewhere :005: :005:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 09:24:10 PM »

I think choccy or chocolate is more a term of endearment a bit like w***er (the taboo word we are not allowed to use) [/quo

:005: :005: The affectionate term for working cockers was wo*ker (if the site allows me to put a star instead of the c)  - similar to your term but i think yours begins with a wa and has an n somewhere :005: :005:

pmsl I thought it meant  the technical term used by drivers me included. oops
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 11:41:10 PM »
I think choccy or chocolate is more a term of endearment

Not these days - more and more Working Cocker breeders are registering their pups as chocolate including very well known kennels like Nancarrow and Housty. The latest Breed Record Supplement came today which made for the usual interesting reading - curiously I spotted some obviously working-bred litters where the breeder had registered some pups as chocolate and some as liver (in the same litter) so maybe some working breeders also think there is a difference ;)
Jane