Author Topic: Bitch in season  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« on: September 02, 2003, 08:39:22 AM »
Hello,
I have another question in regard to my girl, who is currently at day 16 into her season. By day 13 the bleeding had eased off to a pale pink colour, but today it is back to a bright red colour. Not more than before, but I had thought this was unusual. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? and when will it ever end???? She is driving my desexed boy mad at the moment, being a real floozy. He is not interested, and I don't think he evens knows what she wants. Her last two seasons were well and truly over by three weeks. Advice please?                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
Bitch in season
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 08:42:29 AM »
I'm no expert on the subject but that sounds fairly normal to me, the colour can change overnight then back again!. Sounds like you don't have long left of her season now though, she should be finished soon.
Our entire bitch goes 'mental' when she's in season and harrases our spayed bitch!                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks Stuart, you know it was quite funny to watch her in action when she first started harassing him, but by now I am feeling sorry for poor Leo.  She was prancing around and jumping all over him at first, but now she actually backs up to him and pokes her rear end out in his face!. Definitely the time to not let her out of my sight ::)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bitch in season
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 09:29:06 AM »
Yes sounds fairly normal to me too ;) Sounds like her most fertile period is over now (as the colour has darkened again) - she just doesn't realise it ;D                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks Jane, being a novice at this I appreciate all the advice I can get. I don't remember the loss darkening again last time however. When she was mated in January it was from day 11 through to day 16 and I had her walking again by day 19-20. It is a nerve racking time. There is a post on a site I visit in Aus. about an accidental mating and some of the stories about locked up bitches getting pregnant are quite scary. Thanks again :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bitch in season
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 09:38:57 AM »
It was different last time because she had been mated - often it's a good sign that a mating has been successful if the season tapers off quite quickly afterwards. It doesn't always happen but often enough :)                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 10:16:45 AM »
Me again.  Just letting you know it's scant and dark brown today. Sorry to be explicit, but I am Australian ;) Day 17, but still swollen. How long before we can go for an on lead walk at the park????                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bitch in season
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »
I'd give it another couple of days, just to be on the safe side :)                    
Jane

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 12:53:27 AM »
Hi,
Tia is new to us (8 years old) and I'm having my first experience of her in season.
She has changed in two major ways - firstly from a dog who loved to come home she now wants to stay out on the town!! and has had two (very short and within my sight) escapes today. She gave a young beagle the real come on today in the park.
Secondly, she has gone right off her usual food, and has become a superb scavenger indoors and out.
We're on day 7.....
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Bitch in season
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
Mary i'm quite surprised your taking her out at all  :shock:  i kept Butty confined to the garden for the 3 weeks of her season...just to be on the safe side  :wink:                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »
I also keep mine confined to the garden/house during their season, but many people do take their bitches out still - I guess it's a personal preference, and as long as you're not taking your dog out at the busiest times when lots of males are about and probably off lead, and keeping her on the lead at all times, it 'should' be okay. Mind you dont look away for even a second though, as that's all it takes for accidents to happen - and that's why mine stay in  :wink:                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 11:59:54 PM »
Hi,
Point taken!
Trips out are very much shorter than usual, on the lead and at quiet times. We've only had her 5/6 weeks, and I know she really frets when I leave her alone. Now the kids are back to school, it would mean that I'd also be confined to the house for three weeks and that's just not possible.
And yes, I'm watching her like a hawk.
Thanks,                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline PennyB

Bitch in season
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 12:25:55 AM »
I took Ruby out when she was in season but well away from where most dogs walk. To be honest the most problems I had where when she had almost finished hers. I agree with Mike in that its personal preference. Thankfully Ruby's now spayed so I can walk her wherever I like when I like.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Bitch in season
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 11:30:28 PM »
Hi,
Spaying is going to be one of the next things on our agenda too. I certainly have no desire for her to have pups at her age. Tia's been off the lead for a week or two now, and it's been great seeing her running free again. Her off the lead behaviour has needed a bit of tweeking again though!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Thanks!