Author Topic: Help what feed do you use?  (Read 8481 times)

Offline goughee

• Site Member
  • Poppy the Puppy
Help what feed do you use?
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »
We started off on Beta puppy, but our Poppy doesn't seem to like it so we changed, to Pedigree puppy.

This has caused her to have a loose stool.

I have heard about JWB but have no idea what it stands for!  any suggestions please.

We would like a natural food if possible.

Thanks

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Help what feed do you use?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
Pedigree is one of the worst foods out there along with the dreaded Bakers! It is full of additives and colours so I'm not surprised your pup has an upset stomach. I'd get her off it asap if you can.

JWB is James Wellbeloved which is a good food but which some people won't use for ethical reasons as their parent company tests foods on permanently caged animals. Same goes for Iams/Eukanuba and anything made by Purina.

High quality and ethically produced complete foods include Burns, Arden Grange, Autarky and Nutro. Good natural wet foods are NatureDiet and Nature's Menu. All of these have puppy and adult varieties.

Once you decide on a good high quality food do persevere with it, if you chop and change her food every time she seems to go off it you will make a rod for your own back as you will end up with a very fussy and picky dog!  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
I have my three on Burns, turns out to be the best decision I've made regarding dog food.  :blink:

When I got my golden female (now 4 years old) she was on pedigree/bakers and she was so hyperactive, and it wasn't until we swapped her over that we realised a VERY big change in her nature, revealing a calm gentle character.

Other than that there's also the BARF diet, if you'd rather. If you do a search you will find a lot of information. 

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »
Most of those mentioned will send samples if you fill in a form on line or email  ;)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

JWB is James Wellbeloved which is a good food but which some people won't use for ethical reasons as their parent company tests foods on permanently caged animals. S

:o

I didn't know that about JWB :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:53:20 PM »

JWB is James Wellbeloved which is a good food but which some people won't use for ethical reasons as their parent company tests foods on permanently caged animals. S

'Fraid so Em... this is the BUAV site which lists all such companies...

http://www.buav.org/campaigns/petfood/facts.html

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 02:03:48 AM »
Our dogs are on CSJ Command Performance. It's a working dog food free of artificial additives. Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline inga

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi,
We have changed to Laughing Dog which comes in Tripe,Lamb, and Chicken, it is baked in an oven not like all the other foods which are extruded and then sprayed with oil to keep them. The dogs love it and it smells just like digestive biscuits.

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

'Fraid so Em... this is the BUAV site which lists all such companies...

http://www.buav.org/campaigns/petfood/facts.html

I didn't know that either :o :embarassed: Thanks for the link Nic, will be looking at swapping food I think ;).
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline bonio

• Site Member
  • My 1st dog - Lucy
    • Isolated Mind Pain
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:32:20 AM »
I or rather wucey is with Burns chicken and brown rice. When I got her she was on warfcol chicken complete and her previous owners gave me a big bag of it. I intended to change to Burns anyway and when I did she started to have smaller and firmer stools and the horrendous smell calmed down a lot. It suits her and she seems to love it too.

Second time I have written this but its horses for courses some will suit some wont but I agree with Nicola that once you hae found a food stick with it. Even when changing you need to stick with something new for (it does say on the burns bag which I have just thrown away) but a few weeks at least to really see what suits. Some people say its best to give a range of foods on the theory that humans would not want the same thing everyday. However I say once you have a food that works well, dont change. I always use chicken and brown rice for meals and then a range of treats mostly biscuit based. (I dont count a raw hide chew as a treat as it takes weeks for her to get through even a little one :005:) That gives her variety and makes the treats extra treaty!!

She seems happy enough.

I did not know that about JWB, I am surprised. I have bought there treats before crackjacks and another I cant remember the name off but not actually food.

I also like Burns as they only sell through local stores or direct to your door and support the small stores.

There are plenty of natural products now so avoid the ones with lots of additives as mentioned earlier. Chicken and rice is usally a good starting point but there are other varieties if that does not suit. I sue if you have a wander arond the stores and trawl the net you will be able to narrow down your list and come back here and members in the know can help you decide further.

Hope that was of help or interest or something! :D

Lucy, Blue Roan Cocker Spaniel
Entered my life on 2 Feb 07 aged 15 months

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »
We have just recently (past 2 days) changed Sam to Burns and I have noticed a big difference already.  He was on Eukanuba and his skin was really dry and flaky, but since changing to Burns his coat has become so much softer and is not flaking at all.  Maybe 2 days is too quick for this to happen but my OH, MIL and mum all agree that his coat is looking so much better.  An added bonus is that Sam loves it too!

I was very interested to see that website about all the compainies that test their stuff on cages animals, did not know this at all.  Definately no more Eukanuba for Sam!  >:D
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
Mine are all on Burns dog foods.  :blink:

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »

Just reading through all these comments, which are terrifically helpful.  Burns sounds the way to go.  However, I haven't found it in my local Pets At Home.  Is it readily available at larger stores?

Potter

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »

Just reading through all these comments, which are terrifically helpful.  Burns sounds the way to go.  However, I haven't found it in my local Pets At Home.  Is it readily available at larger stores?

Potter

PAH don't stock Burns, it's usually available from smaller independent feed stockists or pet shops. Try googling Burns Pet Nutrition and there should be a contact number or a list of stockists on their website  ;) 

Offline nohopeleft

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 06:00:25 PM »
hi folks,
bramble was on pedigree but after reading this post he`s got 6 tins left and then he will be going onto burns food,luckily for me after checking the stockists we`ve actually got one about 10 minutes walk away

cheers
mick