Author Topic: Diet  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
Diet
« on: May 25, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »
I have Lilly on JWB, however she is a pickie eater only grazes eating only when she is really hungry. She is probably at her correct weight but I ;) feel mean that she doesn't seem to enjoy her food (we are a family of food lovers and she gets good quality meat leftovers which she wolfs down). Having had 2 working cockers in the past who have always eaten all up I am considering changing her diet. I still want something free of additives but something tastier for her, which she will enjoy.
Does anyone have any recommendations I have considered the BARF diet but it seems to confusing and I am now thinking of something like minced chicken and rice etc....

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:05:30 PM »
There is a web site for a natural kibble called 'All in one' I'll try and find it for you, I looked into it and the dogs coats were fantastic on it  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:17:04 PM »
My bitch was very picky with her food and hardly ate at all - and I had tried all sorts, dried and wet. She has been on Royal Canin softened with warm water for a few weeks now and she always clears her bowl. It gets the thumbs up from me  :D
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »
There is a web site for a natural kibble called 'All in one' I'll try and find it for you, I looked into it and the dogs coats were fantastic on it  :D

Here's the link

http://www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com/

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 10:05:26 PM »
I am not up on JWB but believe it a good food. I would not pander to you're dog. Decide what you are feeding her, put it down and if she does not eat it within 15 mins bin it. Let her wait till her next meal. She will soon eat it.  :blink:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »
I would not pander to you're dog. Decide what you are feeding her, put it down and if she does not eat it within 15 mins bin it. Let her wait till her next meal. She will soon eat it.  :blink:

I do agree with this  ;) My two get what they are given and it's my choice not theirs  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »
She may well be holding out for those yummy meat leftovers..........feeding tasty titbits to some dogs can make them really fussy eaters  ;)
Dogs don't eat for "enjoyment" like we do, anyway........they eat to survive, so if she is happy and healthy, then I wouldn't mess too much  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:49:06 PM »
Michele123 recently posted this warning !

[ quote ] Just come across this on the bbc website     It is worth a look

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6475067.stm

Jann

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
 ;) Also

As you have probably heard there is a major pet food recall taking place. Many leading pet foods have been affected and several pets have died as featured in this recent news article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18210224
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/from/ET//

Don't want to panic anyone as I know it's in America, but it does make me think  :-\

Think I'll stick to cooking my own for them.

Offline lucyjane84

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
She may well be holding out for those yummy meat leftovers..........feeding tasty titbits to some dogs can make them really fussy eaters  ;)
Dogs don't eat for "enjoyment" like we do, anyway........they eat to survive, so if she is happy and healthy, then I wouldn't mess too much  ;)
of course dogs eat for 'enjoyment' !! Otherwise, why would a dog be 'holding out for yummy meat leftovers' ?! If a dog was indifferent to flavours then you would not have fussy dog eaters!

In relpy to original post - I feed wainwrights kibble in the morning and naturediet puppy diet, which is wet food, in the evenings both of which and are free of additives, the later of which is also classed as a 'holistic' product and is meat, carrot and rice - I think!!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
of course dogs eat for 'enjoyment' !! Otherwise, why would a dog be 'holding out for yummy meat leftovers' ?! If a dog was indifferent to flavours then you would not have fussy dog eaters!

In relpy to original post - I feed wainwrights kibble in the morning and naturediet puppy diet, which is wet food, in the evenings both of which and are free of additives, the later of which is also classed as a 'holistic' product and is meat, carrot and rice - I think!!
I agree with you lucyjane  ;)  You could say the same about humans ;) Of course we all eat to survive !  ::)
This is something I've thought about for a long time but thought it was just me with this opinion :P
I daresy someone could come up with a 'human kibble' and if that's all there was, obviously we would eat it  ::) Would you like to give your child a complete diet, same day after day.
One of the reasons I cook for my dogs is because I love to see them enjoy it, not eat it reluctantly because there is nothing else !

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »
 :lol2:

Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 10:07:27 PM »
Just been reading another thread posted by Nicola and I didn't realise JWB is testing on animals...I really am staring to think that yes at the end of the day she is only a dog BUT she's my dog and at the end of a long lovely day would I want the equivalent to toast everyday. That would be a no and I am going to try her on meat and rice (I enjoy watching her enjoy eating her food.....no chance of an eating disorder in this house) and then at least I know what she is having.
Can I have some advice on if I feed her cooked chicken. lamb, beef etc and rice what raw food should she have to go with it?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
Can I have some advice on if I feed her cooked chicken. lamb, beef etc and rice what raw food should she have to go with it?

Cooked, raw and processed foods are all digested differently, and so it is probably best to feed them in separate meals......I fed Molo a meal of Burns too soon after a raw meal once....... ph34r ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 10:23:52 PM »
 ;)  In addition to meats of various kinds  including minced turkey, lamb heart, lamb, beef, chicken and only occasionally pork, liver or kidney, tuna, and sardines I either finely grate or pulp various raw veggies carrot broccoli, cabbage parsnip etc (anything except onions and potato, plus  a little boiled rice then add wafcol bonemeal (because there could be a lack of calcium) and every other day, a fish oil capsule. If I have left over cooked veg including potato I will use that as well. They also love chunks of raw veg  eg carrot, cabbage stalks etc and pieces of fruit like apple, pear, banana, but not grapes. as treats  ;)